Dark Blue

Welcome Home

After dress shopping, I headed to the airport with Elijah since I had to be home for this Lockwood party. Part of me couldn't wait to get back either since I found this amazin black long dress, with a few diamonds sewn into the neckline. Not to mention these black heels with black ribbon lace up that went up to my knees. Not that I wanted to leave this town or this vampire that was standing in front of me.

"I wish you could go with me," I leant into Elijah.

"I'll meet you there," He mumbled against my shoulder as I looked up at him.

"You better not fall in love with another woman before you do," I threatened as he reached down to grab for my necklace.

"You have my word," He watched my eyes. "You'll be ok?"

"I'll be fine," I heard my flight being boarded as I looked back at him. "Not that I want to fly but I gotta go."

"I'm aware," He leant down to kiss me quickly which quickly deepened but I slowly pushed him away.

"Later," I smiled at him as I kissed him one last time. "I love you, my crazy original vampire."

"I-" He started but I cut him off with single finger.

"Don't say it now," I smirked as I picked up my bag and headed towards the terminal.

I was half way to boarding my plane when an arm pulled me into a dark corner of the room. I was about ready to attack when my eyes met that of the witch from the other day.

"You have about five minutes to explain why you're making me miss my plane ride home," I glared at her. "Or I won't be so nice."

"Wow, you get turned into a vampire and you act more like Klaus then anyone I've ever met," She smirked.

"You know Klaus?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I'm older than I look," She looked past me. "Look, the reason I'm here is because of that reason."

"Klaus?" My eyebrows raised at her in a confused look. "But Elijah said-"

"Not Klaus, it's because of Elijah," She cut me off quickly. "He's an original and while he can't die, he can sleep for a very long time which could be a world of hurt or the same fate for you. One of which we can't risk if you're to protect that Gilbert boy."

"What do you want me to do?" I whispered slightly as I heard th boarding call again. "I need to go."

"I can stall, but there's a spell, one not many people know about. Whenever Elijah dies or is put into a slumber, you'll lose all your vampiric qualities," She looked at me.

"You mean I'll be human?" I looked away from her as my heart sank.

"Not entirely," She spoke slowly. "You'll still need to drink blood to live, to survive, but your healing and agility will be gone."

"But I'll still live?" I questioned. "Which means I could still find Elijah."

"Yes but he's not-" She started.

"Do it," I glared at her. "Do it now before I change my mind. And any funny business, so help me, I will drain every drop of blood out of your body."

The girl performed whatever spell she needed to in order for this to work and I still made it to my plane home on time. You think that the plane ride would be easier for a vampire to sleep during the day but no, the loud children and crying ones were just as bad as if I were human. Maybe it might've been worse but needless to say, the short plane ride home, I got no sleep.

It was maybe a five hour ride home but when my feet touched down, I felt like I wanted to collaspe into my bed and sleep forever but that was damn near impossible, especially since Alaric was picking me up from the airport.

"I don't get it," He shook his head as he helped me carry my bags from baggage claim to is car. "I thought you drove to Chicago and Milwaukee, why the airplane back?"

"I might've got in a teeny accident," I winced at the thought and the sudden burst of sunlight we just walked into, I still had to get used to that.

"An accident?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Some jerk total my car," I rolled my eyes, "I'm fine, promise."

"Uh huh," He opened his car door for me then went to go around the other side.

"So tell me, Ric, what's new in Mystic Falls?" I questioned as he started his car.

"Well the town is all a buzz about this party the Lockwoods are throwing for some benefit and your homecoming," He mentioned as I still gave him a look since I wanted to know other things. "And the whole town has been putting vervain in the water systems."

"Great," I nodded at the thought of vervain now being in the water.

"What about you?" Alaric questioned. "You look different."

"I met someone," I smiled lightly.

"No, I mean there's just something different about you," He watched me. "I just can't put my finger on it."

"You're looking way too deep into things," I laughed it off as Alaric drove me back to the Forbes house where Caroline and now Elena were hanging out at for some reason.

Alaric helped me take my bags out of the car and took them in the house but me of course, couldn't get into the house right now. One of the two reasons was because Caroline wouldn't stop hugging me to death.

"Caroline, really," I laughed as she still hugged me. "Can you let me go and invite me in?"

"Of course you can come in," She laughed. "You never need an invite."

"Right," I nodded as Elena smiled.

"I'm glad you're back, Melnda," Elena hugged me quickly. "Damon's been going on about how he keeps seeing you in danger or something. It was driving us crazy."

"Damon?" My mind raced. "What did he see?"

"Just you in a car crash, some other crazy things," She shook her head. "It was just Damon being well Damon."

"Oh," I nodded.

"Well, I'm going to go to get ready for tonight," She smiled.

"We'll meet you at your house," Caroline smiled.

"I'm going to shower," I turned to walk but stopped. "Hey, Ric told me about the town putting vervain in the water. It's not in the shower is it?"

"Nooo," Elena gave me a strange look. "It's just been in drinking water or the drinks. Why?"

"No reason," I shrugged as I bite my lips since the hunger was building again. "And hey, I'll meet you guys at the Lockwood manor. I've got something I need to take care of."

"Ookay," Caroline gave me a strange look. "But what about your hair?"

"I'll figure something out," I shook my head with a smile. "Go, we'll hang out later."

I watched as Caroline and Elena both walked out of the yard and I headed towards the shower. I did need a shower before this party, granted I had a few hours since my flight was a late one but still, I wanted to get to my actual "home" before these party guests started showing up. Plus, I needed to eat, I was starving and those small finger sandwiches that I knew my family loved to make were not going to fill the void.

Stepping out of the shower, I slid into some shorts and tank top before grabbing my dress and borrowing Caroline's car since she left with Elena. I hope she didn't mind and it's not like I was planning to eat my meal in her car before going back to my house. The warm summer humidity was building in the air as I parked my car along an alleyway next to Mystic Grill.

There was a young man standing outside, smoking as he was on break from his shift. His apron hung low around his waist. I could only hope he wasn't much of a screamer and I'd try not to completly drain him. Slowly approaching him, I managed to compell him to let me drink off him for just a bit, then he'd go back in and not remember anything. The sweet liquid hit my senses which instantly woke that animal up and I may or may not have drank too much. I wasn't sure, but I called him an ambulance before I got back in the car. Hopefully they got there before it was too late.

It took me only ten minutes to get back to the Lockwood manor, parking next to Tyler's car, then getting out to stretch slightly. The help was rushing around the space setting up decorations as I carried my dress and walked through the people.

"Well if it isn't the superstar choreographer," Tyler shouted as he walked over to me to hug me.

"Tyler," I smiled at him. He was probably the only Lockwood I could stand and honestly would protect no matter what.

"How was the trip back?" He questioned.

"Good, I had to fly though. Minor accident and all," I smirked. "A drunk idiot totaled my car."

"Mom's going to hate that," Tyler laughed.

"Probably but I'm fine," I nodded.

"Good," Tyler smiled.

"So hey, anywhere I can change before this party?" I questioned as he smirked.

"You know your old room's always open," Tyler smirked as he lead me back towards the house. "Despite all that happened, my mom does care about you and misses you."

"Who would've thought," I giggled as Tyler walked through the front door but I stopped.

"Melinda, don't just stand there," He smirked at me. "The party starts in a few minutes."

"I know but-" I started as I shifted. "Am I allowed in?"

"I don't see why not?" Tyler shrugged. "If it's my dad, then who cares. You're alway welcomed in here."

"Thank you," I sighed as I slowly stepped over the threshold and into the house.

Tyler lead me up to my old room where I changed into the dress I got with Elijah. I decided to pull my hair half way up and wave the loose strands. I put my heels on and quickly did my make up to have only a few more minutes before the rest of the town was gathered around the house. I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. There was a knock at my door from Tyler which distracted me for a second before I turned to head to the door.

Slowly I made my way down the stairs and towards the outside where people where slowly starting to show up. I watched as their gazes all directed towards me with faint whispers of me being back. It was really quite annoying since I wasn't fond of this attention. I made my way over to the stage where my aunt, uncle, and Tyler were all standing around. My uncle gave some speech a few minutes later, congratulating me on what I did over the summer for like a minute then he was back on his run for mayor and how he was improving this town. Things that I had to do my damnedest not to roll my eyes on in front of all these people.

After the speech, I walked off towards the crowd, almost getting a chance to talk to Tyler when he as whisked away by his parents as usual. Deciding that I had enough of them, I headed to find a drink, not a blood related drink but I was thinking of bourbon or rum. Which obviously wasn't going to happen righ now so of course the champagne would have to do.

"Careful, a look like that migh make people think you actually don't like your family," I heard a voice laugh in my ear as I smirked and seen Stefan standing next to me.

"Where's your date?" I nodded into the night as I scanned the crowd.

"Talking with Bonnie," Stefan nodded. "So how are you?"

"Good," I nodded. "Not really wanting to be here but it's good to see Tyler. You?"

"Good," Stefan nodded but I knew he had something else on his mind.

"Yes Stefan?" I turned to look at him.

"I know it's not my place but Elena's worried about you," He started.

"How so?" I questioned as he kept his eye on me.

"Well," He started. "For one, she noticed that you asked Caroline to come into your own house and she noted that you were wondering about vervain."

"You're point?" I questioned as I reached for a glass of champagne on a passing serving tray that walked by.

"I'm just going to flat out ask you," Stefan looked at me "Are you vampire?"

"What?" My eyes popped out of my head. "Where would you get such an idea?"

"You're right," Stefan smirked at me. "Forget I said anything."

"You know if Elena's worried about me, all she has to do is ask," I gave him a look over the edge of my glass as I put my lips to it.

"I know, but she didn't want to seem pushy," He shrugged as I nodded and he rambled on about something but I didn't hear since the light amber liquid in the glass hit my mouth and slowly went down my throat.

I coughed quickly, trying to find my breath but I couldn't. It felt like the living force left in me was being choked out slowly but surely.

"Melinda?" Stefan looked at me as I struggled to breathe and buckled slightly only to have him catch me. "Melinda?"

"Can't...br..." I started when Bonnie walked over to us with Elena.

"Stefan," Elena looked at him. "What's going on?"

"Get Damon," He shouted to her as I tried to cough up whatever was in my body. "Now! Elena, go!"

"Vervain," I choked out as Stefan held onto me and looked across the crowd.

"Come on," Stefan realized he had to get me out of the crowd before anyone took notice or made a connection to me practically dying from the vervain in the champagne.

Stefan got out to the outside of the party, away from a majority of people as I finally caught my breath but still couldn't find my legs to stand. He leant me on a railing as we waited for Damon. I needed blood but that look on Stefan's face made the urge surpress itself for the time being.

"What's going on?" Damon hissed as he walked over to us.

"The Lockwoods put vervain in the champagne," Stefan looked at him then back to me. "I had to get Melinda away from everyone."

"Great so we can go back to the party-" Damon started since he wasn't paying attention or connecting things until he spun on his heels to face me. "Melinda, tell me it wasn't you who drank the vervain."

"That shit seriously hurts," I smirked with a slight weak voice.

"We need to get her out of here," Stefan looked at him.

"And what are we supposed to tell her family?" Damon glared at him.

"That I'm not feeling well after my trip home," I stood up slowly to try to regain balance. "You took me home to get some rest, end of story."

"Is everything ok?" Elena walked up to us quickly as we all looked at her.

"Yeah," Stefan spoke quietly. "We'll take her home and explain everything later. I need you to stay here and make sure no one questions what happened to Melinda."

"What do you want me to say?" Elena nodded as she looked at me.

"That she wasn't feeling good after her flight so we took her home to get some rest," Stefan nodded. "And I'll explain everything after the party."

"Okay," Elena nodded as she kissed him quickly and walked back into the party.

"And you," Damon picked me up bridal style. "You've got some serious explaining to do once we get this vervain to get out of your system."