You Were My Medicine.

one.

You Were My Medicine.

Ben looked at the staircase, awaiting his girlfriend whom was just about to walk down the steps. His heart beat was accelerating, never had he been this nervous before. He couldn't wait to see the dress he had been dreaming about for months. The one she continued to talk about with her girlfriends and Ben tried to imagine in his head, but of course, he was a guy. He couldn't create a dress in his mind. What the hell was a sweetheart neckline anyways? He shook his head, rocking on his heels. Beside him was Alice's father, his hands stuck behind his back. He was almost as nervous as Ben. This was his daughter's senior prom; her date, a man that Mr. Barks accepted during their freshmen year.

Alice was new to the small high school in Seattle, completely lost in the buliding. She even missed her first class. Muttering a curse, her eyes wondered the hall, looking for her math classroom. A boy ran into her, "Better watch where ya goin', missy." The blonde haired boy said with a smile on his lips. The joke had made the poor blonde girl blush, looking up to meet eyes with the boy. "You look lost. I can help."

She nodded, her blush slightly faded. Her lips no longer pressured together in embarrassedment, but now in a sweet smile. "Where is room 325? It's a math class room." Her voice was in a shake, high pitched from the nervousness. She could feel the boy's eyes on her, as hers were glued to her schedule.

"I'm actually in that class. I went to go to the 'bathroom.'" His fingers coming up to airquote the last word. Alice released a small giggle, causing the boy to smile. "I'm Ben." He stuck out his hand.

"Alice." She smiled, slipping her hands in his. Eletricity sparked through their skin. Both hearts jolted. After the short hand shake, Ben turned on his heel, gesturing her to follow him. From then, they occassionally skipped math together to go to the 'bathroom', but soon those walks in the hallway became makeout sessions in the bathrom stall.

That nervous girl walked down the stairs in compelete confidence. All of her blonde hair was pulled to her right shoulder, curled to it's upmost perfection. Her eyelids had a line of black that flicked at the ends with a pair of false eyelashes for extra drama. Her lips were a pale color, completing the 1950's inspired look. Her light tanned skin was shown, down to her chest, which was covered by the sweetheart neckline. Ben finally understood what it meant. His eyes traveled down the light blue, slightly sparkled corset top, that helped lift her breasts. Of course, Ben was in love with that. The corset stopped near her waist, where the shirt poofed at the ends, that was dabbed with sparkles. A pair of diamonds that Ben had given her for their two year anniversary were in her ears that matched the neckline he gave the year earlier. A simple diamond bracelet was on her thin wrist that her mother gave her for this occassion.

Ben couldn't keep her eyes off of her. He'd never been so in love before. His hands that held the corsauge in its little plastic contanier. Alice's mother was behind her daughter, holding Ben's boutonniere. Alice held up her dress as she got closer to the bottom of the steps. Ben's eyes darted to her legs, smooth and lightly tanned - perfect. His eyes moved to her shoes, ones that she had been freaking out about with her girlfriends; they were sliver with a heel, of course, Ben didn't understand the new addition to her height. Was it four inches? Maybe five? No matter the height, he'd always be taller. The straps of the shoe had a line of diamonds. Everything matched, but that was her.

After awaking from his awed state, Ben grinned at his girlfriend, "You look fu-" He stopped himself, remembering that her parents were in the room. His mind had told him that it was only them two. "You look gorgeous. Stunning. Beautiful. God..." Words splured from his mouth. Alice couldn't help but giggle, the same one from that moment in the hallway.

"You look handsome, Benjamin." She smiled, leaning in for a kiss. The kiss was short, because she knew if it were longer, her dress would be coming off. That was for later. Her hand was placed onto his wrist during the short kiss. "I love you." She whispered, only audible for them.

"I love you, too." He mumbled, completely lost in her eyes. Alice's mom broke their moment, calling for pictures. "Oh!" Ben's nerves were running up the wall, that he had forgot to take out the array of flowers in the container. He quickly took out the coursauge, slipping it onto her other wrist, knowing that the bracelet should be visable.

"It's beautiful, Ben. Tell your mom I said thank you." Alice's eyes were on the flowers, but at her comment she looked up at him with a smile. They both laughed; of course Ben didn't deicide on the flowers. He didn't even know what a coursauge was until his mother told him. Mrs. Barks came over with the boutonniere. Alice didn't how the fuck to put it on, instead her mother did, placing a kiss onto Ben's cheek. He laughed and thanked the woman.

The couple moved to the fireplace. He was behind his girlfriend, his arms wrapped around her waist. Alice's head tilted toward Ben, placing her hands onto his. After a few pictures were taken, she turned her head, placing her lips onto his own for a moment. Her mother even took a picture of the moment.

Ben drove to the prom, his right hand's fingers intertwined with Alice's. Her thumb stroked against his Irish skin. The couple arrived at the school, wishing their prom was somewhere else besides their fucking high school like all the others in the area, but they were going to make the best of it. Ben was leaving for a short tour the day after. Alice was afraid of losing him completely once his alter ego, Macklemore had reached it's goal: the world.

Exiting the door, Ben fixed his tux's jacket and walked to the passenger door to open for his girlfriend. She looked at him, a walking princess. He held out his hand, helping her out of the car, "My Prince Charming." She smiled.

"And, my Cinderella." He kissed her, then closed the door behind them. His arm snaked around her waist, holding her close to his frame, "Thank God we don't have to be home by midnight." He laughed.

Her eyes rolled, "That would ruin some great plans." The pale color on her lips moved into a smirk. Ben laughed, placing a kiss onto her temple. Once inside, the lights were bright and the disco ball blurred. Alice had moved from his arm to meet up with her girlfriends, who all commented on each other. Ben moved to the punch bowl, grabbing the glass of punch. He was glued to the wall. His arms then folded as he looked at his girlfriend walking over.

She stood by him, sticking her hand out. He took it, but was unaware of where they were off to. She started to pull him gently to the dance floor, but he pulled back. "I'm not ready." He said. Alice stopped in her tracks, but completely understood. Ben had never been to a dance before. She stood against the wall beside her boyfriend, her head onto his shoulder. Her left hand in his right, playing with his fingers. The song changed from a popular dance song to a rather slow song, but not classified as the 'slow song.' It was awkward; Sunday Morning by Maroon Five played through the speakers.

Ben's head snapped up from his punch, looking at his girlfriend. Her eyes were on his, a smile on both their lips. Three years ago, on their one year anniversay, they gave themselves to each other on a Saturday. They fell asleep in each other arms, leaving her iPod playing. Once they awoke, that song filled the room, a Sunday and indeed, it was raining.

Their lives flashed in front of them, just a glimpse. They were together and experienced this. Finally, the song changed to a full slow song, the cliche of, 'Don't Wanna Miss A Thing' played through the speakers. She took his hand, moving to the center to the gymnasium floor. His heart was pounding, about to explode out of his chest. He fearfully took her hand as they sway too the music. She laughed at his lack of knowledge of slow dancing, but soon her arms were around his neck and his hands on her wasit. "Don't you love music, Ben? It's such a gift and I'll give it to ya. But you gotta use it."

He was nervous, trying to break from her grip. The flask was in his chest pocket and he gently pulling it out. She shook her head, placing her hands onto his, guiding him to put it back into the pocket, "You don't need that, look within." She hugged him, looking into his eyes. She gave him a kiss, "I can't help you, if you don't let me. You're here to live just be. Don't forget me. The end of this dance, you don't want to regret me, live, 'cause tonight you'll all be set free."

What was she saying? She wasn't going to leave him - she couldn't. She loved him, right? His anxiety reached a whole new level. "Alice? You're not leaving me, right?"

Alice laughed under her breath, "Of course not. I just don't want us to part when you go off on the tour, babe." She kissed him again, "I love you."

"And I love you." He grinned.

"Last dance!" The DJ yelled. He looked inside her eyes and he could see himself. Slow motion, frozen, toast in the moment. There was no morning, no motions. She was on his shoulder. He lead the dance and she followed. They circled the floor like the globe. They seemed so small. She was in his hand, like the skyline holds the stars. He couldn't let go. He knew they were sharing a hotel room after this, but the thought of leaving her in the morning haunted him. She was perfect. He was seconds away from God. Their torsos pressing against each other, melting into each other's bodies. One being, heartbeating universe falling.


Ben swallowed as he looked down at the piece of paper. Finally, he had finished a song for the VS EP. The memory floaded his mind and continued to play on and on. His face was in his palms. Regret.

How could he had let her go that night? Instead of love making as they planned, he released her from him. But she never left emotionally. Always by his side through the cough syrup, the rehab, and everything. She stayed his best friend, but eventually, once the past EP was released, Alice was gone.

Gone from his touch, his sight, his mind. Why did he do this to himself? He wanted to get that cup and drink that pink stuff again. At the top of the paper he wrote: THE END. Scared out of his fucking mind, Ben looked within himself, taking a breath. She was right that night. She could help him, just like all the years before. But she faded through his fingertips and took her for granted.

Taking out his iPhone, he scrolled through his contacts until he found the name that made his heart rate increase. He was calling her, swallowing down his pain.

"Hello?" Her sweet voice rang into his ear. He smiled, as if all his troubles were passed, but they tried to knock down the door back into his heart.

"Alice?" He whispered. Ben's voice was being choked by his pain, his regret from letting her go.

"What's wrong, Ben?" She asked, her voice filling with worry. He was doing so well. If he didn't need her anymore, then he must've been relapsing. That's all she was good for now anyways - someone to vent to instead of drinking the cough syrup.

"I miss you." He whispered.

"No, you don't." She gripped the counter, trying to fight the tears. "I became your best friend rather than a lover, but now I'm nothing at all. Just someone for you to vent to instead of you relapsing."

"Alice Lynn Barks," He began, regaining strength. Her heart stopped at the usage of her full name, "I know I left you and I regret that. But I just wrote a song."

"About?" She seemed annoyed.

"The Winter Ball. The greatest night of my life." He could hear her cry on the other end of the phone. It pained him, but soon he released his own tears, "I love you, Alice."

She placed her hand over her mouth, crashed with emotion. Alice was still in love with him. Always will be, "I love you, too, Benjamin."

A smile finally grew onto his lips again, pushing the last few seconds away. "How does dinner at the school sound like?"

"Ben, you're ridiculous." She laughed, shaking her head. She wiped her tears away, "You don't need to take me out. I think I should come over and read the lyrics to that song... and stay the night."

His eyes beamed, the smile grew. He thought they shared their final goodbye the last time they spoke, but now, she was going to stay over his house, "You were my medicine, Alice. Now, you're everything."
♠ ♠ ♠
if anyone know the song, the end, from the vs ep - you knew that i took lyrics from the song into the story to describe it. i tried my best to follow the lyrics and i apologize for basically taking the lyrics. but it sets the mood, i guess. c:

anyways, leave your thoughts. i love you guys. i'll update the josh balz story tonight or tomorrow.<3

jess x