Felicity

Chapter 1

Felicity sat in the corner table of the library, towers of books surrounding her. She pulled out a book on psychology and heaved a sigh as she peeled back the cover of the ancient textbook. She took a sip out of her Starbucks coffee cup and started reading, her eyes straining to stay open. Her head was sagged forward, her shoulders hunched, her body weak from the lack of sleep.

“Fel,” whispered a hushed deep voice. Felicity craned her neck so that she could face one of her long time best friends, Sam Conner.

“Oh, hey, Sam,” she whispered, her voice a soft rasp.

“You’ve been here all night. Finals are tomorrow. I think you’ve crammed enough for one night.” Sam leaned in front of Felicity and closed her textbook.

“Sam,” she protested.

“No,” Sam resisted. “You are coming with me and that’s final.” He grabbed Felicity’s little hand and towed her out of the library. “You look beat, Fel.”

“I feel beat,” she said, a quiet sigh lingering after her words.

“I’ll bet.” Sam chuckled.

“So where are you taking me?” she asked, staring down at their hands apprehensively.

“You’ll see, but first, I think you need a coffee boost.” How well he knew her.

Sam and Felicity had known each other practically since birth. Sam was a year older, and he helped guide her through pretty much everything. He became much like a big brother.

Sam’s mom was best friends with her parents and they used to get together on the weekends, and their friendship sprung up instantly.

“Large. Definitely not decaf,” she said, a smile playing on her lips.

“With a dash of cream and a sprinkle of sugar,” Sam added.

“You got it.” Felicity shot Sam a smile.

“I’ve only known you my whole life,” Sam said, rolling his eyes.

“Only,” Felicity reiterated.

With a few textbooks in hand, Felicity and Sam rounded the corner and walked into the on campus Starbucks. Felicity shrugged out of her fleece jacket and sat in one of the large, oversized chairs and curled her feet underneath of her so that she was tucked away.

A few moments later, Sam was back, handing her a venti coffee, prepared just the way she liked it. She inhaled the delicious aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sighed as she took her first sip, settling even more into the chair.

She broke her eyes away from the large cup and looked up at Sam, who was staring at her. “I can see you are enjoying your coffee.”

She chuckled and pushed back some of her long, auburn hair. “It’s just what I needed.”

“I see that,” Sam said, a smile forming across his lips. “Now all you need is some sleep.”

“I thought you were taking me out to have fun,” Felicity queried, her eyebrow rising up slightly.

“I am,” he said calmly, shrinking back into his own chair. “But I’m just saying. I mean, those must be so heavy to carry.”

Felicity looked up at him quizzically. “What?”

“Those bags. Underneath your eyes,” he said, a teasing quality in his voice.

Felicity snickered and rolled her eyes. “So I look like crap. Big deal.”

This time, Sam rolled his eyes, but didn’t say anything.

“So what is on the agenda today?” Felicity asked after a few moments of silence.

“Maybe something to eat?” Sam inquired.

“Sure,” Felicity said.

“I’ll take you somewhere nice tonight,” Sam said. “So put on your best dress and heels.”

Felicity scowled. “You are not taking me somewhere fancy.”

“Sure I am,” Sam said plainly. “Besides, someone’s birthday is coming, and I have to be the first to help you celebrate.”

That’s right. Felicity had almost forgotten her twenty-first birthday was in a week.

“Sam, no,” she pleaded. “Please. I’m happy with nothing.”

“That’s not going to happen.” Sam shook his head.

Felicity hung her head, defeated, knowing too well she would never win this argument.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sam watched as Felicity flung her bag over her shoulder and stalked out of the Starbucks, clearly upset that he was taking her out tonight. But she just doesn’t get it. Felicity is worth every cent to Sam’s name.

When Sam was young he used to cherish every moment they were together. He did his best to make sure no one laid a hand on her, and that she knew he was someone she could count on. And now, many years later, not much had changed. Except Sam’s undying love for everything about her.

The way her deep auburn hair framed her slightly heart shaped face and alabaster complexion. Her brilliant ocean blue eyes always lit up when they were together, which made his heart nearly skip a beat every time.

He watched her thin frame retreat back to her dorm and he sighed. He took a sip out of his coffee, drinking the last few drops.

He got out of the comfortable chair, threw away his cup, and walked away from the Starbucks, a smile planted on his face. One day, she’d realize that they were meant to be.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tristan Wesley scowled as he walked down the alley towards the headquarters. It was dark out, the city already bustling with nightlife. Jasper had called, said he had a new mission; something he’d been craving for awhile.

Last time, he had him go and take out some drug dealer, a burly man who owed him money. Hopefully this time, he’d have something worthwhile for him to do.

Tristan glanced around the darkness, confirming that no one was around, and slid into the wooden door. He slid out into the narrow corridor, listening to his own footsteps click against the stone.

He stopped when he got near the end of the hallway and pushed open a door.

Richter stood at the entrance. He looked at Tristan and nodded. “Tristan,” he said gruffly.

“Richter,” Tristan said curtly and continued his way past him. A long table took up the majority of the space in the room. At the head of the table, sat Jasper, and flanked on his sides were James and Paul, two of his top ‘agents’ so to speak.

“Tristan, my boy. Good to see you,” said Jasper, his white teeth glowing in the darkness as he smiled. He could barely see him due to the dim room.

“Hello, Jasper,” Tristan called out. “I hear you have a mission for me.”

“Aah, yes. Quite a mission, indeed.” Tristan heard James snicker.

“And what does this mission entail?” He asked, taking a seat.

Tristan heard Jasper sigh as he motioned James and Paul away. The two men left the room, but not before throwing a few glares at Tristan. Jasper stood out of his chair and walked over to him, placing a hand on Tristan’s shoulder.

“I need you to eliminate someone for me,” Jasper said slowly.

“I figured,” Tristan explained.

“But this isn’t just a normal, meaningless mission, Tristan. This one is detrimental.” Jasper leaned down so that he was at eye level. “If you fail, I will make sure you are detonated.”

Tristan didn’t even flinch. He was used to being threatened, even though he could sense a bit more conviction in Jasper’s tone. “What makes this mission so much more important? You sound so determined on having this person killed.”

“They are a threat.”

“And what threat are you sending me to rid the world of today?”

Jasper pushed an envelope in front him. Tristan looked up at him, cautiously. The man had never seemed so worried about having someone killed before.

“She needs to be disposed of.”

“She?” Tristan reared back. “I didn’t realize you kill women.”

“Of course I do,” said Jasper. “Some are just as bad as the men I have slaughtered. But this one. It is shame. Such a beautiful girl has to pay a heavy price.”

Tristan eyed him suspiciously. He pulled back the cover slowly and widened his eyes as he saw a picture of a girl with a heart shape face and deep blue eyes that seemed to sparkle off the page.