Felicity

Chapter 2

Felicity sat in her dorm, wrapped in nothing but a towel, as her damp hair clung to her shoulders. She heaved a sigh as she prepared herself to get up and ready for whatever plans Sam had in store for her. She couldn’t quite grasp why he wanted to do something so nice for her, but when he called earlier, explaining how he had reservations at Chateau, the nicest restaurant near campus, she had no chance of backing out.

She grabbed the blow drier and dried her now tangled hair as it flew in all directions; the red tints making her hair seem like fire mixed with her brown locks.

She dragged a brush through it, trying to ease some of its craziness, and made her way to her closet. She slipped on her favorite black dress that she hadn’t had a chance to wear in God-knows-when. It still fit her perfectly. She went back into her bathroom and pulled open the heating box full of curlers. She plucked one from the steamy container and rolled her now dry hair around it, pinning a bobby pin in her hair to keep it in place. She did so until every strand of her hair was tied up.

She then pulled out her makeup bag and lightly stroked on a thin line of eye liner, a quick brush of mascara, and a smooth coating of a natural shade of lipstick. She then went about making sure every other detail was decent about her, even though she really had no reason to dress up. Sam had nearly ordered her to look her best, and of course he would know if she hadn’t given much effort.

She looked up in the mirror and sighed at the medium height, lanky girl in front of her, still completely regular looking. She began to untangle the mass of curlers in her hair and slowly wound her hair down as it fell into neat, large ringlets of curls. She sprayed her hair with a light squirt of hairspray and took one last look at herself in the mirror, still unhappy, before turning off the light and walking out the door to go and meet Sam.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Felicity nearly knocked the breath out of Sam as she descended the staircase out of her dormitory. Sam had almost stumbled onto the pavement when he saw her beautiful blue eyes and hair encompassing her face. And the way her dress flaunted every curve of her tempting physique only extenuated his desire for her.

He felt his face flush red as he brought his eyes back up to meet hers.

“Hey,” she said as she got closer in her faint, melodic voice.

“Hello,” he said softly, extending his arm for her to take. “You look beautiful. Absolutely stunning,” he whispered in her ear, and he heard her giggle.

“Thank you, Sam. You look great, too.” She leaned into him. He walked her over to his car and opened the passenger door for her.

“My lady,” he said teasingly, gesturing for her to take a seat.

“Why thank you, sir,” she complimented, joining in on the teasing.

He laughed, closed her door, and made his way to the driver’s side.

“You really don’t have to do this,” she said quietly.

“I want to,” he said simply. “Please, just enjoy yourself. For me.”

She smiled up at him. “No promises.”

He rolled his eyes and pulled out of the parking lot, making his way off of the campus.

“You’ll like the food here. It’s delicious.”

“So I’ve heard,” she said softly.

He looked over at her and smiled, letting his eyes tremble down her body. He looked back up at her and she blushed slightly.

When they arrived at the restaurant, he opened the door for her and allowed her to loop her hand through his arm, and guided them inside.

“Reservations for Conner,” Sam said to the hostess.

The older woman nodded, smiled, and ushered them to follow her. As they took their seats, a waiter came by and took their drink order.

As dinner came to an end, Sam surprised Felicity by ordering an extravagant dessert.

“This is too much, Sam,” Felicity protested. “I’m stuffed.”

“You’re never too full for a piece of Temptation Cake,” Sam disagreed.

Fel shook her head and rolled her eyes. A large, dark chocolate piece of cake was set in between the two of them. Sam picked up the fork, cut a bite sized piece, and held it out for Felicity. She smiled and took the piece of temptation into her mouth, causing a burst of pure ecstasy to spike through her veins.

“It’s delicious,” she said in a raspy voice.

“I told you so.” Felicity smiled.

As dessert was wrapping up, Sam couldn’t stop thinking about his feelings for her. Tonight was the night. He had to let her know.

He reached out for her hands and she offered them willingly. With her hands in his, he quietly said, “Felicity, you are the most amazing person I’ve ever known.” He saw her face turn red. A good sign. Hopefully. “You’re absolutely stunning in everything you do.” She smiled. Another hopefully good sign. Sam pulled out a slightly elongated satin box from his pocket and set it in front of her on the table. He watched as her face flooded with surprise.

“S-Sam. What is this?” she asked, picking up the box cautiously.

“Your birthday present,” he whispered.

“My birthday isn’t for another week.”

“I know, but I just couldn’t wait any longer. Open it, please.”

She slowly lifted open the lid and joy filled him as he watched her expression brighten with pure happiness. “Sam! It’s beautiful!” she screamed, staring down at the gorgeous necklace in her hands. The chain was silver. The charm was a series of diamonds, starting from small to big and light sapphire accents dotted each one. She stared up at him. “This is too much, Sam! This must have cost a fortune! I could never accept this.”

“Actually,” he said, rubbing his hand behind the back of his neck. “It’s a hand-me-down. It was my mother’s. I had the sapphires added, however. They reminded me of your eyes.”

Her eyes met his and he felt pure bliss as she stared at him exuberantly. “Will you put it on me?” she asked.

He nodded and stood up out of his chair. He made his way behind her, grasped the stupendous gift, and clipped around her neck as she lifted her hair out of the way.

“How does it look?” she asked as he sat back down in his seat.

“Beautiful, just like you.” She blushed a little.

“I feel so guilty, accepting this,” she said, looking down. “Now I have to come up with something even better for when your birthday rolls around.”

“Don’t feel guilty,” he said, shaking his head. He leaned across the table and lifted her chin up so that she was facing him. “Fel, there’s something I need to tell you.” He paused as he watched her expression. “I’ve been in love with you all my life.”

He watched the shock cross her eyes as she stared blankly at him. “Wh-what?” she stuttered.

“I’m in love with you,” he said breathlessly.

“S-Sam,” she said, moving back slightly.

“Do you feel the same way too?” he asked.

She looked away for what seemed like an eternity. When she brought her eyes back to his, they gleamed with intensity. Sam gulped. “Sam, I love you.” She paused. “But I’m not in love with you.”

Sam felt his face grow hot and he looked down, this utterly heart breaking feeling wrenching in his gut.

“I’m sorry,” she said, almost inaudibly, tears pouring down her face, as she fled from the restaurant, leaving Sam broken hearted and stunned.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tristan had arrived at his destination a few hours ago. He familiarized himself with the campus, as well as his victim’s dormitory. Felicity Charm was the girl’s name. She was twenty, turning twenty one in nearly a week, and had deep blue eyes, and auburn colored hair. The reason Jasper wanted her dead remained unknown.

The girl wasn’t in her dorm, so he carefully surveyed the rest of the area, and to his surprise, she was nowhere to be found. He made a call to Jasper who informed him that she would be back soon. Some of his spies leaked that she had gone to dinner off campus.

So now Tristan was left to wait.

He pondered how he would kill the innocent girl. She was decent looking. Should he have some fun with her before ending her young life? Or should he just get it over with and leave her to rot, like Jasper clearly wanted?

His phone vibrated as he received a text.

From Jasper: She’s on her way back now. Less than a minute, she should be in view. Look towards the West entrance.

Tristan was sitting on a bench in the courtyard of the central part of the campus. He looked up and saw the outline of a figure scurrying inside from the parking lot. Tristan flew up and made his way along the walls of some of the buildings, trying to remain inconspicuous. The girl was only halfway through the school’s large parking lot. He looked around. Empty.

It was now or never.

He sprinted forward, hiding behind a few cars. Just as he began to approach her from behind, he heard a loud bang sound off. He snapped his head around and widened his eyes in horror as red flames shot out of the hood of a car. A car right in front of Felicity. She had stopped where she now stood in fear and was slowly inching her way to the side.

He heard another, almost crackling sound, and he fit the pieces together. The car was going to explode.

Out of instinct, he flew forward, grabbed the girl’s tiny wrists and flung her back onto the ground as the car exploded several feet from where she previously stood. He shielded her with his body, a completely opposite move for him. When he looked down at her, all he could see was a pair of two stunning, yet completely horrified ocean blue eyes.