Status: Mature Crime Thriller

Prisoner of His Mind

Huntsville State Penitentiary

Prisoner of His Mind

Huntsville State Penitentiary

Huntsville State Penitentiary, housing up to 500 inmates in 1849, is now home to about 40 dangerous convicted criminals, most of which reside in the psych ward. There are about 20 guards, 15 inside, 5 outside. One of which among those is Katherine Monroe. Katherine is one of two female wardens currently employed at HSP. The other is Lena McCoy. If they had a dollar for every cat call, perverted joke, or comment about their lady parts, they would be billionaires. They’ve learned to tune it out.

Katherine began working in the HSP at the ripe young age of 21 and has been working there for about a year. Let’s face it; women aren’t exactly beating down the prison walls to apply for a job. Katherine, however, always knew she wanted to work in law enforcement and having a female presence amongst the cell blocks seemed to provide a calm atmosphere for the inmates. The vocal harassment didn’t bother her; however, it took quite a bit of convincing to get her best friend Lena to work with her as well.

Kat may have jumped at the gun to accept at job at HSP, but Lena was a completely different case. She never wanted to be a cop. She couldn’t stand confrontation, and she had no backbone. Where Kat was bold and confident, Lena was shy and quiet. Where Kat was stunning and seductive, Lena was unattractive and awkward. Kat always had a boyfriend, and Lena lived life as a constant third wheel. The two were polar opposites, but inseparable.

~.~

Jake Hudson walked into Flora’s Flower Shop, and the smell of vegetation hit his nostrils like a flash flood. Looking around he saw flowers he recognized; lilies, carnations, poppies, cannas, poinsettias, etc. However, he was not here for a nursing home bouquet. It was Christmas and he wanted a something unexpected to surprise his long-term girlfriend Katherine. Katherine deserved more than flowers, but working on a teacher’s salary, Jake couldn’t exactly afford Kay jewelry. Besides, he was saving up for something much more special that he hoped he could soon give to Kat.

“Hello” Jake said, walking up to an employee. “I need something made. Something original. It’s for my girlfriend.”

“Okay, what did you have in mind?” the kind employee, Karly, asked.

“Uh, I really don’t know…something special and Christmassy.” Jake said.

“Okay. Let’s see we got poinsettias, holly branches, and a touch of baby’s breath. How does a Christmas wreath sound?” Karly asked.

“Yeah that sounds good.” Jake replied.

“Great! We’ll get one made for ya. Where would you like it delivered?” She inquired.

“The penitentiary please.” He replied. Karly gave him a confused look. “She works there.” Jake said.

“I see. No problem. Let’s see…your bill will come to $52.01.”

“That’s a little pricey!” Jake exclaimed.

“That adds up the cost of flowers and delivery, sir.”

“Well alright. Bankrupt me, why don’t you.” Jake grumbled, handing over the money. He was a little bummed by the cost of the wreath, but Katherine was worth it.

“Thank you, sir. Come back and see us.” said the employee, with ill disguised annoyance.

~.~

It had been a long day at HPS, as was every day. Inmates were rowdier than usual and Kat had been on her feet for hours. She was ready to go home.

“Hey Kat!” shouted Lena. “You got a delivery! It’s from your BOYFRIEND.”

“I’m coming!” Kat shouted back, getting up from her desk. As she passed by cell blocks she was bombarded by the daily shouts and whistles from the inmates. The noise from the blocks echoed.

She turned the corner going into the coffee lounge. There she saw a package from Flora’s Flower Shop with her name on it. Opening the package she saw a beautiful Christmas wreath.
Jake was always sending random assortments of things to her workplace. Last month he sent a package of bathtub rubber duckies. The month before, he sent chocolate covered strawberries. He always knew what made her smile.

“My, that’s breathtaking, Kat.” Lena said, staring admiringly at Kat’s gift.

~.~

Back in the cell blocks, inmate number 77 smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
this was basically the intro to the setting and the characters. plot line will develop in ch. 2. thanks for reading!