Life Lessons for Every Girl

Girls Are Desperate

It was a Monday, the first Monday in February. All the girls in the 6th grade had been wearing more make up then usual and dressing extra slutty these past couple of weeks so that they could get boyfriends for Valentine’s Day.

Life Lesson #7: Girls are desperate.

I had made one friend since my arrival to this hellhole. Her name was Lauren. She was like me; shunned from day one because of her clothes and her “Asian-ness.”

Except she was different, she was pretty.

Now I know what you’re thinking: “This chick is fishing for compliments.” Trust me when I say that I was an ugly duckling that was never going to shed her feathers and become beautiful. At school, I has been called ugly so many times that I eventually started smiling at the comments because at least people were talking to me. My horrible eyesight, crooked nose, dull brown eyes, and harry Arab genes combined for a deadly concoction of ugly. It was just the way God made me, and I have learned to accept it.

But I always wondered why Lauren, who was drop dead gorgeous, hung out with me, a horribly disfigured individual. She had potential to move up the totem pole with a bit of luck, while I had absolutely no chance. Nonetheless, I enjoyed her company and we became best friends.

So on this Monday, I was talking to Lauren by my locker when this boy named Nick approached me. Nick was 3rd or 4th in command at the school, and I’m not going to lie; he was pretty hot. I was taken aback by his appearance next to Lauren and I because usually everyone would keep a good 10 feet away from us, afraid of catching “loser-itis.”

As I saw him getting closer and closer out of the corner of my eye, my brain began working a mile a minute. I concluded that he was probably here to talk to Lauren, which made me sad. Don’t get me wrong, I would have been happy for her, (had he been there to talk to her) because that would have meant that she wasn’t a loser anymore. But she probably would have stopped talking to me immediately after this encounter, which would have meant that I would be alone again.

But Nick came to talk to me, not her…

Of course, as any loser would have done, I made a complete fool out of myself while he was talking to me. I stuttered, mumbled, blushed, and even drooled a bit, but Nick didn’t seem to mind. He actually seemed like he was enjoying our conversation about Mrs.Luba, our math teacher, and her crazy antics.

Then he said something that I will never forget:
“Mary, you’re really pretty, and I would really like to go out with you some time. Do you want to see a movie with me tonight?”

Any normal girl would have played hard to get in this situation, but me, being so inexperienced and juvenile, screamed yes very quickly and started jumping up and down embarrassingly. However, Nick seemed to like it. He winked, told me that he would pick me up at 6 (don’t ask me how he knew where I lived), and headed off to class. I looked at Lauren and we both immediately started squealing with excitement since I would be going on a date tonight! However as we were walking to class, I began to think that something was wrong. How the hell did the ugliest girl in the state of Maryland get asked out by one of the hottest boys in school?

Life Lesson #8: EVERYTHING is too good to be true