Life Lessons for Every Girl

The Nurse's Office

I’m pretty sure I stayed in that bathroom for a good hour before Mrs. G came in during her lunch break. She called out my name, but I didn’t answer, and she knew I was in there because she probably heard my sniffles. She tried to tell me some bullshit story about how she knew how I felt, when she actually didn’t. How could she understand when she never went through the same situation? But its whatever; I don’t hate Mrs. G for not sticking up for me. I don’t blame her because if she did, the other students would have made her life a living hell.

After talking to her about how I felt for a few minutes, I asked her if I could go to the nurse. By that point, I really wasn’t feeling well and all I wanted to do was sleep. She agreed to it, probably because she felt bad that she let me down, and told me that my books were waiting for me in the classroom.

So I picked up my books and went to the nurse. I hated the nurse’s office. It always felt so gross and dirty, and for some reason, I always happened to go in the office when there was a special needs kid in as well, and it really made me feel uncomfortable. I just always felt bad for those kids and it made me sad that people in the school made fun of them too, when it wasn’t their fault that they were born with a disability. On this particular trip, this special needs kid named Fred was with the nurse. He was screaming very loudly because he didn’t want to take his medication. After a few minutes of prodding, the nurse finally got him to take it, and Fred had a seat next to me in the cramped waiting room.

Maybe it was swollen eyes, or my red sniffley nose, or my messy hair that gave it away, but as soon as Fred sat down he said, “Why are your crying?”

I really didn’t feel like explaining what just happened, so I just gave Fred a simple answer: “I’m just a little upset, Fred.”

But my short answer didn’t really satisfy him, so he said, “Why?”

I knew it would be hard to explain the whole situation to Fred, so I just made it as simple as possible and said, “People are just making fun of me.”

And Fred, being the innocent and sweet person that he was, said, “Well that’s mean. If it makes you feel any better, I think you’re awesome.”

Fred; a special needs kid, telling me that I was awesome. We had never talked prior to this encounter, and I only knew him from the outburst he had at school; yet, he was one of the sweetest and kindest people I have ever met. It might not seem like a very important event to most people, but to me, it was. Special needs kids are some of the sweetest and most genuine people one this planet, and I needed someone like that; I needed a little pick me up. It was refreshing to hear a comment like that at that exact moment.

I didn’t realize it, but the nurse was listening in on our conversation. So when she called me over, she told me that I wasn’t allowed to leave school because of a bullying incident. She told me that I had to man up and face my problems. She told me that I had to suck it up and deal with it because life is harsh and not fair.

So she wrote me a pass and I went to my last period class. But on the walk to class, I began thinking: I never really realized that the main reason why I hated the nurse’s office was because of the nurse herself. And now that I think about it, most school nurses are like her.

Life Lesson # 13: All school nurses are bitches.