Status: Complete

Secret Smile

Happy Birthday darling!

Cinnie sighed playfully as she heard her friend rambling from her side of the phone. They were close friends but an ocean was ‘tragically’ separating them like her friend said, so she had arranged for Cinnie to go over to England and not only spend a week there but also her birthday. It was all perfect, Cinnie was beyond excited but she had a feeling that her friend had made plans. Secret plans, secret surprises and so on and she felt curious but also a bit nervous. Her friend was crazy in a good way but she never knew where she would get them into.

Once Cinnie set foot in English soil and her friend saw her arriving with her bags, she ran off to her to hug her tight.

“Cin!” The younger girl cheered, hugging her friend tightly. To her, they were like sisters and she had missed her terribly.

“Paty.” Cinnie chuckled hugging her friend back, despite all the attention they had gained due to Paty’s inability to control her volume when she was excited “You’re going to smother me, darling.”

“Oh sorry, sorry.” Paty said a bit clumsily, pushing herself back but she couldn’t stop smiling or moving, she was just too excited. “I’m just so happy to see you!”

Cinnie laughed and allowed the brunette to hug her again. Once they pulled away, Paty held herself together and helped Cinnie with her luggage. They took a cab straight to Paty’s flat but she gave Cinnie no time to get adjusted, she took her out immediately, claiming that London had to be explored. The weather was good, so it only helped her theory.

Cinnie was a writer, she was preparing her first novel and Paty never stopped nagging her for a part if she ever got it into a movie. Cinnie always laughed at it because Paty just assumed that her friend would be as successful as J. K. Rowling but she was grateful that her friend was so supportive of her. On the other hand, Paty was giving her first steps in acting and she was taking Cinnie to what had been her stage for the last few months: Covent Garden.

When they arrived to the stage in the open space, Paty was quick to introduce Cinnie to everyone but she was so overwhelmed by so many new faces plus names that she really didn’t pick up any names. Then she saw someone they both knew arriving and she saw Paty grin while Cinnie’s eyes widened slightly, it could not be.

“Hello ladies.” A deep, masculine voice with a clear English accent greeted.

“Oh knock it off Ben!” Paty laughed, hugging the tall man tightly making him laugh loudly as she squeezed him.

Cinnie stared at him like he wasn’t real. Paty had told her that she had met a few famous actors, that she was even friends with some of them and really, really ‘friends’ with a special one who, apparently, was Benedict Cumberbatch.

“Ben, this is my friend Cinnie. I told you about her coming here, remember?”

“Oh of course I remember.” Ben smiled, approaching Cinnie to kiss both her cheeks “It’s a pleasure Cinnie. I cannot even explain how excited Paty has been about your arrival.” He grinned earning a soft slap on the arm.

“I can imagine.” Cinnie smiled, still completely overwhelmed to be meeting, not only the actor that played Sherlock Holmes, but that he had just kissed her cheeks as a greeting. He was charming and she had questions for Paty, oh so many questions.

“Fair Ophelia,” Ben grinned as Paty smiled and bowed gracefully.

“Yes, Sir Hamlet.” She said as Ben reached inside his jacket and handed her two tickets, apparently for a play. Paty squealed excitedly and hugged Ben. “Thank you, thank you!”

“I promised.” He remembered her and after a bit more of chit chat, he said his goodbye since he had work to do.

“Alright,” Cinnie said more seriously “Can you explain to me what is going on?” She smirked at her friend who began to blush without saying anything.

“I met Ben about 6 months ago when I was cast as Ophelia. He was Hamlet but after 3 months, he had to leave for Sherlock. Since we got so close, he continues to come and watch me.”

“You got so close, I suppose it means that you’re dating.” Cinnie grinned, loving to watch her friend blush more and more. She fancied Ben for sure.

“What? Oh no. No!” Paty said, getting awkwardly flustered “Cinnie, no. He just dumped his girlfriend a year ago and he might not be ready.”

Cinnie raised a slender eyebrow “He might not be ready but he still got you two tickets for something.” She pointed out, watching her friend smile from ear to ear “They are for tomorrow aren’t they? For my birthday?”

“Yes, they are.” Paty grinned but she would tell Cinnie anything more of what she had planned.
Then as a few more friends from her play arrived, both her and Cinnie were taken by them to eat something and have fun at a local pub.

The next day, both Cinnie and Paty woke up early to take a stroll around London and go to Warner Brother studios, mostly for Harry Potter. It was Cinnie’s birthday so aside from Paty’s presents, she had prepared something special for the evening.

“Are you really sure that we need to wear heels?” Cinnie frowned as Paty replied positively from her bedroom.

“You know how seriously I take going to the theatre.” Paty said, stepping out of her bedroom looking dazzling but she knew that Ben was going to be there, so unconsciously, she wanted to impress.

Their day been tiring so Cinnie’s feet ached for rest but she knew that the night wasn’t even half over and she had been having a blast though. She stood up on her heels and dress and she didn’t even make a comment when she saw Paty. She read her like a book and she had already devised a plan to take a cab in case things got interesting for her friend.

Hardly did she know what Paty had planned. Paty had told that they were going to a musical but she couldn’t be lying more. They were going to see Tom Hiddleston performing live and, hopefully, meet him afterwards with a bit of Ben’s help. It would be a reencounter since Cinnie had met Tom before a couple of years ago when he was just preparing his debut as Loki. Paty knew that this would be the perfect present for Cinnie and she could hardly wait.

“Yes, Paty, but we are seeing ‘Les Misérables’, no don’t need to look so fancy since it’s just you and me.” Cinnie insisted.

“Cin, trust me.” Paty said “We are going out looking our absolute best. We never know who we can find.” She winked.

That wink made Cinnie realize that Paty had something up her sleeve and for a moment she feared what the brunette had planned. She knew that Paty could go way beyond anyone’s league to celebrate her birthday but she was happy with the whole day, she didn’t mean to give her friend so much trouble.

“Now, enough about heels,” Paty said, interrupting Cinnie’s thoughts, as she checked her wristwatch “We’re getting late.”

With that, Cinnie was hurried down to the cab that was waiting for them and she watched as Paty grinned from ear to ear. It made Cinnie’s stomach turn, she wanted to know so, so badly but she had to wait and waiting was terrible. When the cab finally stopped, Cinnie opened the door on her side and she shivered a bit at the chilly night air but when she glanced up at the poster of the play, her jaw dropped.

“Surprise!” Paty cheered, placing a crown on Cinnie’s head, a little tradition they had for birthdays.

“Wh-What are we doing here?” Cinnie asked in disbelief as she stared at the giant poster for Coriolanus with a shirtless, short-blonde haired Tom Hiddleston. She had seen the photos before on the internet and her heart had just skipped a beat as she began to realize what her surprise was. It was to see him again.

“Well, let’s just say that there is no Fantine or Jean Valjean tonight,” Paty grinned “Only, you, me and Tommy on stage.”

“You’ve got to be kidding!” Cinnie exclaimed and when Paty shook her head with a grin, they hugged tightly, both positively fangirling over the night ahead of them. Tom was a friend but that didn’t mean that they weren’t his fans.

They didn’t lose a minute going inside and finding their seats. They had arrived just in time and Cinnie felt like her heart was going to explode. How Paty had gotten the tickets was obvious to her, through Ben, but all the shows were sold-out so how he got them was a miracle. She did not worry about this though. It was her birthday and she was about to see Tom perform live on a stage, which she had only see ages ago in ‘Othello’. As the lights began to dim, she heard Paty’s little squeal and Cinnie smiled broadly. When he appeared on stage, she felt like nothing could make the day more perfect.

She was wrong. There was more coming.

The play lasted for a bit more than an hour and a half. Cinnie was beyond happy. Her heart was all filled up, her eyes were sparkling and she felt completely mesmerized. Tom was magnificent on stage and the audience was at his feet by the time he came out for the last round of applause. Seeing him out of character was fascinating, given the fact that he had yelled, battled and cried on stage before. Now he was smiling, he looked as happy as ever and he was bowing proudly but with much humility in his behavior as he thanked the audience over and over.

Once the curtain went down and the audience began to leave, Paty stood and chuckled as Cinnie still stared a bit at the stage.

“That was amazing.” She said towards her friend. “He is.. he didn’t change.”

“Oh I know, darling. He is extremely talented.” Paty said as she texted someone and then peeked at the door and smiled. “Come, Ben is waiting for us.”

“Ben is here?” Cinnie asked a bit confused as she peeked behind her and then she waved when she saw Ben standing there, in his coat, waiting for them.

They went towards him, Ben congratulated Cinnie on her birthday and smiled at Paty, like they had a secret between them.

“Do you have plans?” He asked them.

Paty shook her head and Cinnie did the same “Not really.”

“How would you like to come with me to the pub across the street?” Ben asked.

“Not without me, I hope, mate.”

Cinnie turned quickly in her own feet, her jaw nearly dropping as she saw none other than Tom Hiddleston approaching them. A broad smile attached to her lips, seeing again felt spectacular.

“I was promised a decent hang out tonight after the show and you were planning to sneak off with these two beautiful ladies, who happened to be my friends first?” Tom grinned at Ben as they exchanged a manly hug “You sneaky bastard.”

“Oh love but you adore me and you know that I wasn’t going anywhere without you.” Ben joked as they both turned to the women.

Tom bent to greet Paty but when he turned to Cinnie, his eyes sparkled and his smile changed. It changed for something far more real, he was really happy to see her.

“Cinnie! Lovely to see you again, darling.” Tom said hugging her tightly.

“Tom!” Cinnie said, hugging him back with a chuckle. She had truly missed him.

“Birthday hug!” Tom grinned, lacing his arms around his friend, pulling her chaste to his chest, like he never wanted to let go again.

Cinnie smiled widely, despite being so squeezed, still completely in the clouds as the taller man approached and wrapped his arms around her. He embraced her gently but tightly, he was a great hugger, he had always been. She smelled his cologne and when they pulled apart, he was giving that smile again. It was different from the one he had been giving everyone else and Cinnie was having a bit of a hard time remembering it.

“Thank you.” Cinnie smiled and Tom smiled back at her.

“You are most welcome, love. It was my pleasure.” He said as he turned to see Ben with Paty, both just talking but incredibly non-discreet about how much they fancied each other. “Should we leave the soon-to-be lovebirds alone for a while?”

Cinnie glanced at them and nodded, seeing that they could get a bit in the way for Ben and Paty but also because she knew that deep down, this could get her a bit of an alone time with Tom and she found that to be the best present she could give herself. As the two couples went outside, it was pouring rain. Ben, being the charming man he was, took an umbrella and opened it to share it with Paty with a grin. She laced her arm with his and snuggled to him as he turned to Tom.

“Are we going to Sawyers?” He asked as Tom frowned. He had no umbrella, how impressive he was as a British Man compared to Ben.

“Actually no.” Tom said, removing his jacket “I’ve changed my mind. I need some food first. You go ahead with Paty. I’m taking our birthday girl somewhere else, a place I reckon she has never been to. If she accepts of course.”

Cinnie widened her eyes a bit, not expecting Tom to just pass the conversation to her like that, since the idea of leaving them alone was his.

“Actually… grabbing a bite would be good, yes.” Cinnie replied, trying to sound as natural as possible but she felt her cheeks burning and she tried not to look so guilty of something that was rather funny, despite not being her idea. “Also, we have lots to catch up to.”

“Are you sure?” Paty asked this time but, as she saw Tom nod and push his jacket up to protect both his head but mostly Cinnie’s, she smiled and nudged Ben’s side softly “It’s okay.” She winked at him playfully and he flustered a bit, nodding.

Paty smiled towards Cinnie and Cinnie barely felt like this could be real. Tom Hiddleston had just told their friends to go over so he could be alone with her? She could hardly believe it and the accelerated beating of her heart wasn’t helping. When she saw his arm close to her face, she looked up and blinked, seeing his face much closer than before. He smiled from ear to ear.

“Sorry, love, this is the best I can offer.” Tom said, motioning for his leather jacket.

Cinnie smiled and shook her head “Don’t worry, it’s fine Tom.”

He observed her closely, barely believing that she was actually there. When Paty had mentioned that she wanted to bring Cinnie over, Tom didn’t actually believe her at first but he should have. His heart was hammering now. The rush of seeing his friend was nothing compared to being on stage, especially if that friend was Cinnie. He had missed her and he had the most immense crush on her for years now. Seeing her go to the US had been a bit painful but now that she was back for a few days, he was as happy as ever.

“You look beautiful.” He commented as he saw her look up and smiled a bit embarrassed.

“Let’s say that in terms of puberty win, you are the Neville Longbottom amongst us.” She replied making him chuckle.

“And you haven’t changed.”

“Neither have you.”

They shared a glance and he just couldn’t stop smiling. Cinnie smiled as well when suddenly they stopped in front of a very small restaurant.

“Do you remember this place?”

Cinnie studied it for a moment as they got inside and then her jaw dropped.

“We came here when you got your Loki role!” She remembered and Tom nodded.

“Also when you got your book deal.” He added, sadness passing through his eyes for a moment “And went back home.”

Cinnie nodded but she had no time to properly notice his sadness as they were taken to a table. She sat across from him but when she saw his grin, she narrowed her eyes playfully.

“I actually just came here for the pudding.” Tom admitted.

Cinnie laughed “Order two please. I haven’t had one in ages.”

Tom ordered two different types of pudding so they both share and they began to catch up on each other’s lives and careers. As Cinnie told him all about her book and the possibility of good reviews plus a film, Tom leaned forward.

“Count me in if you need a male lead.”

Cinnie smiled and as his hand landed on top of hers, her eyes looked up to lock with his.

“I missed you Cinnie. I really did.”

“I missed you too Tom.” Cinnie said, her eyes softening as she saw the sincerity in her friend’s eyes. She felt her heart fluttering and she tried to push it back, she had feelings for him. She had always had but she had hidden them because she knew that things wouldn’t work out, especially now.

Tom tightened his grip a bit on her hand and once the puddings were settled in the table, he smiled cheekily and took two candles from inside his jacket. Cinnie slapped her forehead lightly as she saw him lightening the candles as a little child. He adjusted the crown on her hand, a tradition that he personally adored, and he glanced at her.

“Shall we sing it?” He grinned.

Cinnie blushed lightly and before she could reply, Tom began to sing ‘happy birthday’ at a rather calm and not too high tone. She joined in and blew the candles, both of them clapping without a care if anyone else was watching them. Tom watched her smile as they shared their puddings. Sadly for him, it was all over fast and in a minute, Cinnie and him were heading out of the restaurant.

“What shall we do now?” Tom asked “You choose birthday girl.” He grinned.

Cinnie thought for a moment “Let’s take a little walk. I have missed London under the street lights and it’s not raining anymore.”

Tom agreed and walked beside her but within moments he had his arm laced with hers. Cinnie didn’t mind the closeness, she welcomed it actually and as she glanced up at him, she saw that smile again and she wondered what was on his mind. As they walked past Piccadilly Circus, Tom shifted his arm to rest around Cinnie’s shoulder, since it was pretty crowded and, despite his head telling him not to, he knew that he was going to kiss her the first chance he could. The thought was bold but it brought a special smile to his lips, a smile that he had only for her.

“What are you thinking about?” Cinnie asked and as Tom looked down at her and he took a deep breath.

“This.” He whispered, leaning down to kiss her full on the lips. The kiss was gentle and his lips smiled so happily against hers that Cinnie barely believed what was happening. She grasped his shirt softly and kissed him back, smiling herself but she had to pull away after a moment, she needed to breathe.

“Tom.”

“Don’t expect me to apologize for the kiss, Cinnie. I have always wanted it.”

“I don’t want you to apologize, but,” She paused, seeing how sincere he was while he still smile, he didn’t regret a minute of it. In fact he looked very bloody proud “How can we manage this? Tom… I’ll be back home soon.”

“Don’t worry.” He said quickly, cutting her off on purpose, noticing how her body tensed as she began to worry “It’s your birthday. Don’t worry about anything. I want you to have the night of your life. We’ll worry about real life tomorrow, alright?”

Cinnie smiled widely and nodded “Alright.” She said, a sudden good feeling taking over her. Maybe seeing Tom again meant something better than what she had expected at first.

He took her hand and led her to Sawyers to have fun and dance. Before they got in, he leaned down to kiss her once more and Cinnie kissed him back deeply this time. When they pulled away, he had that smile again and she finally saw it: it was only hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright darling, here it is. I hope that you enjoy it and that it isn't too cheesy. I tried, I really did.
I would appreciate any comment or advise about my writing, any reader is welcome to voice their opinion!