The Dare

chapter 3

I rushed to my favourite lesson and got there just In time. The music room was filled with all sorts of instruments all pushed up to the walls around the room, a few chairs sat in the middle of the room and I took my seat near the back. "Okay then class" the music teacher, Mrs.Bourne, stood at the front of the class "today we start our new project, you will all create a piece of music of your choice, it can be a song or a soundtrack or anything so long as you use instruments" a smile came onto my lips as I thought of what I would do. I would sing a song, not one by a famous artist but one that I wrote "you will do this in pairs or small groups and then you will show our final pieces in a few weeks but for now you'll just be working on what you will do" she waved her hand, her signature move to tell us to get started. I sat on the floor in the left corner of the room and pulled out my small black book that I wrote my lyrics in. I was careful not to spill all the loose pages that were hanging out. I'd be doing this project by myself, just like always. Nobody wanted to work with me and I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to work with me either. I looked around the room to see everyone had a partner or was in a group, I wonder where Vic is. Maybe he would want to work with me? Probably not though. I sighed and flipped through my book, maybe I could just write a new song.

"Hey"

I looked up and Vic was smiling down at me, I closed my book as he sat down next me. "Mrs.Bourne said I should work with you" I felt my hands start to get sweaty, my heart beat faster and my stomach was doing flips. Damn! How does he manage to make me feel this way? " I looked away quickly, I was sure I was blushing. "So, got any ideas of what we could do?" I nodded my head and held up my book "it's all in here, I-I wrote a few songs and lyrics but ... their not that good but I thought maybe I could sing one of them and you could play the instrumental" Vic nodded his head "I can play guitar and a bit of piano. So what song have you chosen?" I hesitated before I opened the book again and flipped through the pages, I pulled out a few pieces of paper and handed them to Vic "fire" he read the title. I watched him as read the lyrics, my lyrics, my personal thoughts. "Oh my good this is really good" I smiled at his words, relaxing a bit now that I know he liked them. We talked about the project for the rest of the lesson and by the time I had finished all my morning classes I was already getting sick of school. I sat outside with Jesse and Carly on his lap, I had my headphones in since I didn't really want to listen to them being all lovey-dovey together. I hadn't really seen Vic since our music lesson, but I had heard people talking about him and mike. From what I could tell the girls certainly found them both attractive and the guys thought they were cool or should I say "dope" as I'd heard one guy call them "hey, we're just going to get something to eat, want anything?" I shook my head no "okay well we'll be back in a few" Jesse and Carly left, leaving me alone but I didn't mind. I took out the earphones and shoved my phone in my pocket just as I saw Danny walk over to me, he sat down on the opposite bench and smiled. "Hello Kellin, alone again I see" I didn't say anything I just stared back at him, hating him with every bone in my body "where's your little friend gone?"

"It's none of your business" I spat at him, "sup Danny" I looked away and saw the rest of danny's friends walk up to us, I started to blush when I saw that Vic was Among them but I quickly controlled it. "Hey, guys" said Danny, I got up from my seat ready to leave when I felt some grab my arm and bring me back done again. "Your not leaving already are you Kellin? everyone's just got here" Ben sat next to me and I didn't dare try to leave again. I looked around at the group of people who stood with us, they weren't really paying attention to us, most of them were having their own conversations. My eyes met Vic's and I looked away down at my hands instead "Aren't you going to say hello to Ben, Kellin?" I looked at Danny, not saying anything. God! He is such a prick, why won't he just leave me alone? Why won't everyone just leave me alone? "Oh, that's a bit rude. Will you at least say hi to Vic? Vic! Come sit with us" Vic came and sat next to Danny, I stared at him not able to take my eyes of his. "Vic this is Kellin don't bother saying hi to him, he's acting like a little faggot" I didn't say anything, I found it easier to just let them insult me instead if standing up for myself. "I'd be careful around this one, Vic. Kellin has a tendency to try and rape his friends" said "We used to be mates but then he went and fucked it all up"

"No I didn't!" I tried to shout but my weak voice let me down " I never tried to rape you, your the one who fucked things up. I would still be your friend if you'd just told me the truth from the beginning" I could feel the anger forming in the pit of my stomach. That's not at all what happened that night, everything he is saying is all lies.

"What truth? The truth that I didn't want to be friends with a fucking queer like you?" he spat at me.

"No, the truth that, the only reason we stopped being friends was because you turned gay for me and you just couldn't handle it!" I couldn't help It, but I felt a small smile creep onto my lips.

He stood up from his seat and leaned up close to me " You little liar, I'm not a fucking dirty fag like you!" He grabbed a fistful of my hair and pulled my up to him, damn me for always wanting to keep it long. "Danny? you don't want to get in trouble do you?" I moved my eyes and saw Vic standing up, he was looking at Danny "Shut the fuck up! Who's side are on? mine or this faggot?"

"I'm not on anyone's side, I'm just saying that I don't really think that's a good idea"

"Yeah? I'll do what I want and I certainly won't let you stop me" He gripped my hair tighter and twisted it In his fist, I winced in pain. Then he threw me to the floor, causing me to trip over the bench I was sitting on and land on my back. "Okay, Danny, just leave him now" I heard Vic saying, why is he trying so hard to stand up for me? Can't he see how pathetic I am? Danny didn't listen to him though, he came over and kicked me in the side. "If you ever talk to me like that I swear to god Kellin!" I sat up and held onto my side, god! "Your lucky I didn't hurt you, If you wern't new and a friend of Tony's I would have hurt you even more than him" He walked away and Ben followed him. I looked at Vic who was still standing there, "Are you okay?" he asked, I nodded my head even though I wasn't. My rib felt like It was broken, "VIC! come on!" Tony and Danny were waiting and they looked really angry, Vic turned to look at me then walked away.

VIC'S POV

We sat in a circle in Danny's basement playing truth or dare, after school had ended we came here. Most of us were already drunk or high, but I only drank a little since I'll be the one driving home. "okay, Vic now I'ts your turn" said the girl that sat on Danny's lap, she was very pretty and had nice eyes. "I dare you to..." she thought for a moment before opening her mouth, but Danny got there first "To date Kellin for a whole two weeks" there was cheering and whooping going around the room, he can't be serious can he? "You like him enough to stand up for him so why not just got out with him? You can consider it your punishment for before" He didn't take his eyes of me as he downed down his beer. This guy is literally heartless, I know that Kellin finds me attractive. I can see it when in his eyes but I would never want to hurt him. "Or we could just beat you up?" he shrugged "your choice"

KELLIN'S POV

I stood in front of the mirror with a cold towel pressed lightly to my side, a giant bruise had formed throughout the day. Luckily, my dad wasn't home when I got here or I might have had more bruise to deal with. I placed a finger to the bruise and flinched, It was so soft and tender. I cursed myself for having sensitive skin. My phone began to vibrate from the side of the sink where I had placed It, "Hey Jesse" I answered, I didn't need to look at the caller ID to know who its was. Only Jesse, Carly and my dad had my number and doubt my dad would be calling me. "Hey, kellin" I frowned at the voice that came through the phone. It wasn't Jesse at all, my eyes widened when i finally realised who It was. I walked out of the bathroom and went into my room instead "Vic? H-how did you get my number"

"Err... Tony gave It to me" I frowned again, why would Tony have my number? and why did he give It to Vic? "How did he get my number?" i asked curious

"Err, I dunno. But I was just calling to ask If you wanted to hang out today?" I was silent for a moment, Is this a joke? Why would he want to hang out with me? "Is Danny there? Did he tell you to ring me?"

"No, don't worry. I don't even know where Danny Is because I'm not with him. Now do you want to hang out or not?" I thought for a moment, Is this really a good Idea? Could I even trust Vic? "Okay, sure"

"Good because I'm outside your house, you have 10 minutes" then he hung up. Vic was here? I looked out my window and sure enough Vic's car was parked outside. I started to panic, should I change? Should I invite him inside? Should I even go with him? I mean he did try and stand for me, maybe I could just go to show him that I'm thankful. Yeah, I'll just go to be nice. I grabbed my jacket and pulled on a beanie then I was out the door with the wind hitting my face In a welcoming way. "Hey" said Vic as I got In the car, I put my seat belt on and smiled at him "Hey, so what do you want to do?" I asked, Vic smiled and I swear In that moment he seemed to grow wings.

"Do you wanna go get some smoothies?"

We sat In the smoothie shop opposite each other. I still can't believe Vic wanted to hang out with me. "So, how has your day been?" asked Vic as he took a sip of his smoothie. "How has my day been?" I asked, Is he serious? After Danny left a bruise that was the size of a giant turtle on me and hurt like a bitch things couldn't have gotten better. "Okay, stupid question" Vic laughed "I'm sorry about what he did to you" I looked down at my smoothie and swirled the straw around "It's fine, It wasn't even that bad"

"You mean he's done worse things to you?" I looked up at his face, he looked shocked and a bit concerned. I nodded my head and smiled at how cute he looked "Yeah, all the time. Like one time, he and ben took me just outside of town then they just drove off and left me there" Vic moved and came to sit next to me. "That's awful, whats the deal with you and Danny anyway" I hadn't realised how close he was until I felt his knee touch mine "It's a long story. We used to be really close actually. We always did everything together and went everywhere together, he was like my best friend and then one night It all changed" I let my voice trail off as I remembered the events that happened that night. How had I let It get this bad? Was It even my fault? "I just don't understand how you could go from being so close, to him almost wanting to practically kill you" I laughed and Vic smiled which bought butterflies In my stomach. "see, you look good when you smile, you should do It more" I blushed and quickly looked away.

"Hey, you wanna go back to mine? Nobody's home so we can crack open a pack of beer and watch movies?" I nodded my head, anywhere was okay as long Vic was there. We left the shop and drove to his house while listening to music and singing along to some of the songs we knew. To be honest I didn't expect myself to be like this around him, but I felt comfortable and like I could relax but still get butterflies In my stomach when he so much as looked at me. "Okay what do you wanna watch?" asked Vic as he sat down on the floor next to me. We were In his room which was already set out nicely considering they had just moved here, I drank the rest of my drink and shrugged, "Whoa, calm down Kellin. Don't want to get drunk before the movie even starts" I smiled and picked up another bottle, drinking It slowly this time. "How about I Love You Phillip morris ? I've only ever watched half of It" Vic put the dvd In then closed the curtains and turned of the lights "It's much better when everything's dark" he sat back down and pulled the blanket from his bed and lay It on over us. "What's with the blanket?" I asked, It was fairly warm In here so I didn't think we needed one. "I dunno, It just felt like we needed one" I smiled at him, I don't think It's possible for someone to be this cute and not even realise It.