Status: Completed.

Don't Give up on Me

Fifteen.

"Hey," Zacky says quietly when he turns up fifteen minutes later, startling me. I had started to think he wasn't going to come out, but thankfully he had. It reassured me slightly that he wasn't just messing with me, but then again, I could never be too sure.

"Hi," I mumble shyly towards him, crossing my arms on my chest to keep me warm. The sun was setting, and the temperature was dropping rapidly. I longed to be snuggled into my warm blankets at home, but this was more important. I needed answers, and he was my supplier.

"So..." he says, trying to fill the awkward silence.

"You begged for me to be here, so here I am. Don't make me regret giving you this chance, alright?"

He nods, looking out towards the dark ocean. "Alright. What do you want to know?"

"Anything that you feel like I should know. I may have lost all of my trust in you, but I'm hoping like hell that you'll be honest with me for once," I say softly, looking at my feet.

After a few seconds, he begins. "I guess the first thing I should tell you is that I dated Serena... Well, yeah. She and I met when I moved back in 8th grade. Her father had just left, so she needed someone, and I guess I had become that person. We ended up hooking up at a party and getting together. It didn't last long, and didn't mean anything.

"I'm guessing Charlotte already told you her side on the fire, right?" he asks, and I nod. "Her story isn't that far from the truth; all of that happened, because I was too scared to admit that I fucked up... something I do a lot. And I can't tell you just how sorry I am that you had to find out the way you did. You weren't supposed to fi-"

"Find out about everything? Why not? Am I not worth the fucking truth, Zachary?" I interrupt angrily. "You are the only one that knows that my mom fucking bailed. You are one of the only people that knows about my past. I fucking trust you with that, because you're my friend, and I care about you deeply. And it just bothers me that you weren't even planning on telling me any of this; that I had to find out in the WORST way for you to realize that you had to come clean. What if she had pushed me too far, Zacky? Would you have told me then? Would you have tried to stop it?"

He stays silent, his jaw tight as he stared ahead. "This was a mistake, Zacky, I-"

He grabs my hand firmly. "Please. Don't go."

"Give me a reason to stay, Zacky, because right now, I don't see why I should."

"Because you're not perfect, and I'm surely not perfect, and I think we should be imperfect together. I know I fucked up, but if I let you walk away, then I'll be making the biggest mistake I could ever make..." he says, his gaze holding mine. "Okay, not the biggest, considering everything, but I hope you know what I mean."

I settle back onto the flat topped rock beside him, wiping my suddenly tear filled eyes. "Why did you lie to me? That's really what I want to know."

"I was embarassed. I'm gonna sound like a total nerd here, but I felt like Ramona from Scott Pilgrim; I had an evil ex out to destroy any other person I got into contact with, although, I didn't have seven," he says with a sad half smile. "I knew you'd run away and never talk to me again whenever I did tell you, so I kept it to myself. I was sort of right, but that's not the point.

"I'm sorry. For lying to you, for not being honest with you, and for putting you through all of the bullshit you've had to face these past few months," he says, looking at me with sincerity. "And I'm sorry for hurting you."

I stay silent, unsure of how to articulate my thoughts. I wanted to say it was okay and put it into the past, but at the same time, I was still hurt and being mad at him was easier than dealing with it all.

But, my Dad had also said I needed to grow up and deal with matters rather than run from them. And I had done enough of that. Plus, I don't think I can keep myself away from Zacky for much longer. I missed his friendship, his stupid jokes, his sarcasm, his teasing. I really missed him, in a different way I have ever missed someone before.

"You really mean it?" I ask tentatively.

He nods. "Then I forgive you... on one condition."

"Which is?"

"You also apologise to Serena."

"What?!" he asks, obviously surprised.

"If she can come up to me and apologise to me for all the shit she's done, then so can you."

"If that's really what it takes..." he mutters under his breath. "Fine. I'll do it."

I smile. "Good. Maybe all of this shit can finally be put to rest."

He laughs. "Maybe." He then puts an arm casually around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. I refrain from sighing, as I didn't want to ruin the moment with my awkwardness. So instead, I put my head on his shoulder and relaxed, looking out at the dark waves lapping against the shore with him until complete darkness fell over us and the chill of the air became unbearable.

He walks me to my car slowly, sharing the same relunctance I felt. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah," I answer before he hugs me, then walks to his own car five spots away. I climb inside of the car and don't bother cranking up the heat, since my house was two minutes away. We both arrive at the same time, and he gives me a wink before disappearing into his garage.

I smile to myself before walking inside of my house, incredibly happy with how this horrible day had ended.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I can't keep these two away from each other for too long. Especially since there's currently 25+ chapters to this story, they can't really hate each other for long. (: I'm considering updating this a third time, since there are so many chapters already written and posted on a different site. Anyways, hope you enjoyed! C:
-Kayla