Status: My first fanfic : ) Hope you all like it!

Fighting for Her

Home

The drive was longer than usual because of the snow, but Riley made it to her parents house in just under five hours. They lived in a suburb just northwest of Philadelphia, where the houses were large and the golfing was abundant. She looked in her rearview mirror once she reached the house. She smoothed her hair down with the palms of her hands and checked the side of her face. Her bruise had mostly faded, and whatever was still dark was covered with concealer. She was glad, she didn't want to have to explain what happened with Ryan.

She tugged on her sleeve to make sure her tattoo was covered before she walked in the house.

"Helloo?!" Riley sang as she entered the long foyer. The house was warm and inviting, pictures of family trips lined the cream colored walls.

Riley's mother poked her head around the corner and smiled once she saw her daughter.

"My darling!" She scurried over and hugged her softly. She stepped back and looked her daughter over. "You look pale."

"Its winter, Ma." She laughed and shook her head. "Where's dad?"

Her mother took the coat off of Riley's back and placed it on the coat rack by the door. "In his study with your brother."

Riley walked casually to the den, marveling at the over the top Christmas decorations her mother put out every year. The door to the den was slightly open, a whiff of cigar smoke circled her nose. She pushed the door open and saw her father's sitting in his favorite chair, his broad shoulders shaking with laughter at something her brother was saying.

"And what's so funny?" Riley leaned against the door frame and crossed her arms.

"Hey peanut!" Her father got up and hugged his daughter tightly.

"Riley!" Her brother slapped her on the back. "Guess who just made partner at the firm?" He pointed his thumbs at himself and smiled.

"That's great Jack!" She hugged her big brother and smiled.

"You know, there's always room for you at the firm, peanut. Just have to get-"

"Dad. I love you. But no." She gazed around the room and saw most of the same books that Paddy had at his house and suddenly missed Tommy.

"So when's Ryan coming?" Jack slouched back on the couch and brought the glass of scotch to his lips.

"Yes, how is he? I haven't seen him in so long. I miss our golf games." Her father took a long draw from his cigar.

She stared at the ground for a moment, thinking of what to say. Clearing her throat, she simply said, "I don't want to talk about it."

She joined her brother on the thick leather couch. Her brother sensed her tension and changed the subject. They spoke of his new promotion until it was time for dinner.

The table was decorated with beautiful red place settings, and candles surrounded in small pine wreaths. They spoke of formalities, the living room being redecorated, how long winter was lasting.

No one brought up Ryan.

___________________________________________________

Her room was exactly the same as when she left it, even though her mother told her countless times that she was going to redecorate. Posters of rock bands lined the walls, photos of high school friends taped onto her mirror. Riley flopped on her bed and grabbed her phone. One new message.

I miss you.

She smiled when she saw that it was from Tommy. With nimble fingers she wrote back.

What a coincidence...

She stared at her phone for a few moments waiting for the screen to light up. After a minute or two she decided to get ready for bed. Unpacking some of her clothes, she found the shirt and sweatpants she wore when she was at Tommy's house and put them on.

The bed was fluffy and warm, just how she remembered. She stared at the stars on her ceiling that glowed a bright green above her bed. Another bright light at the corner of her eye caught her attention. It was her phone.

I have an idea.

She waited a second before texting back. And what would that be?

Right away she got his response. You can come back.

LOL yeah that'll go over well with my parents.

What the hell is LOL?

Riley burst out laughing. Really? My grandmother knows what LOL means!

It took Tommy a little while to text back. If I knew how to send you a picture of a mad face, I would.

He laid back in his bed, wishing she was next to him. His phone lit up and there was a picture of Riley with her brows furrowed, making a mad face. His laugh shook the bed. His phone lit up again.

I think its so cute that you don't know what LOL means.

So you think I'm cute?

Riley smiled and rolled her eyes. It depends on the day.

Jerk.

LOL. LOL. LOL. LOL.

Insert sad face here.

Okay when I get back I'll give you a crash course in sexting. As soon as she hit 'send' she saw her stupid autocorrect mistake. "Oh shit!" Riley laughed and typed as fast as she could.

TEXTING! Not sexting... She bit her lip and waited anxiously for him to write back. Finally her phone lit up.

I can't wait...

____________________________________________________

Riley had dreamt of Tommy that night but instead of gasping for air when she woke, she just laid there in a daze, wishing she was laying in bed with him. The sun was shining right through her curtains and averting her gaze from the window, she threw the blanket over her head. She tried to force herself back to sleep, to dream of him again, but had no such luck. Reluctantly, she got out of bed, abandoning her dreams and walked downstairs.

"Merry Christmas Eve morning, Ri!" Jack said as he cheerfully greeted Riley in the kitchen.

Stuffing a croissant into her mouth, she mumbled, "Morning."

"Still not a morning person, huh?" He poured himself a cup of coffee and took a seat at the breakfast nook.

"Where's mom and dad?" She took the seat across from him and handed him the business section of the newspaper while she took the comics.

"They went to go pick up Nana from the airport." He set the paper down and stared at his sister. "What happened with Ryan?"

She took in a deep breath and considered what she should tell him. She didn't want to lie to him but at the same time she didn't want to tell him everything either.

"We weren't seeing eye to eye on things." She sipped her own coffee, hoping that answer was enough.

"Such as?" He put his elbows on the table and fingers on his lips.

"Um," she cracked her knuckles. "He didn't believe in what I did. What I do." She twisted her hair around her fingers wishing he would drop the subject.

"You mean your painting?"

She nodded.

"Ri, you have amazing artistry skills. You're creative, professional, and successful. I'm sure he'll come around. Just give it some time."

She let out a snort. "I don't think so Jack."

"You never know Riley." He shrugged his shoulders and got up as he heard the door open. "Looks like Nana's here."

Riley got up and followed her brother to the foyer. Her grandmother was tall and slender, just like Riley's own mother. Her pearls draped around the collar of her button up shirt.

"Riley Mae! Just look at you!" She hugged her tight and stood back, grabbing her by the shoulders. "Pale though."

"Nana!" Riley smiled and hugged her grandmother once more.

"Guess who else was at the airport?" Riley's mother smiled wide and stepped to the side. A tall figure stood in the doorway grinning at Riley.

Riley froze and her eyes grew wide. "Ryan?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh-oh...