Status: My first fanfic : ) Hope you all like it!

Fighting for Her

Crooked

Riley's eyes fluttered open with a start to a shrill ringing. She glared over at her phone that woke her from her almost perfect sleeping. The only person that would make it perfect was Tommy and he had already greeted the day hours ago. With a grunt, she slapped the nightstand and pulled the phone to her face. It was her mom. With a loud thud, she dropped the phone back on the nightstand and decided that she would call her back later.

She had slept in a little more than planned since she still needed to finish the custom piece for Mrs. Farris, but wasn't exactly rushing to get to work either. After her hot shower, she stared at herself in the mirror. She had come such a long way since autumn and felt so different but she still looked the same. Riley pulled open a few drawers in the bathroom until she fished out a pair of scissors from the bottom drawer.

With a steady hand, she snipped away at her long, wavy hair. Long strands of hair fell onto the tile floor below. Satisfied with the end result, she ran her fingers through her hair, feeling the weight difference. Her dark chestnut hair now brushed the top of her shoulders and a side swept bang covered the side of her face.

She pulled open the dresser in Tommy's room and smiled when she saw some of her clothes folded neatly in a stack. Last month he had suggested keeping some of her clothes there since she was staying over so often. She slipped on her dark jeans and a white v-neck, topping it off with her chambray shirt. She hummed while she dressed, feeling better today. She danced and hopped down the stairs in her tan combat booties and froze when she heard the TV.

"Oh hey there Riley. Hope I didn't wake ya." Paddy smiled sweetly at a suddenly embarrassed Riley.

"No, I've been up for a bit," she returned the smile. "You aren't training with Tommy?" She opened the coat closet and grabbed her leather jacket.

"Nah. He's at the gym. You know how he likes to do his own thing there." He got up from the worn couch and walked toward the kitchen. "Would you like some coffee?"

"Oh, no thank you. I'm heading over to the shop now. I should've been there a while ago actually." She smiled sheepishly and headed out.

The shop was surprisingly busy for a Monday but once she knew Max was okay on his own, Riley headed to the backroom to finish the dresser. All it needed was a few coats of varnish and it would be ready to go. She popped her headphones in and got to work.

All I know is that you held the door... You'll be mine and I'll be yours...

She was smiling and humming, letting her mind take her away. The night before, Tommy had told her it was just him and her and she really took it to heart. It was just them. No one else. No other problems, no drama. Just love. And she loved it.

An hour into it, she heard a shout over her music and turned to the doorway.

"Whatsup?" She said to Max, who was waving her over to the sales floor.

"There's a woman here asking for you." He stood there for a moment, staring at her.

"Who? What woman?" She wasn't expecting anyone, and Max knew everyone she knew. Riley peered over his shoulder at a blonde woman who was eyeing a rocking chair. She looked familiar but she just couldn't place her.

"I dunno. Did you do something to your hair?" He squinted his eyes as if it were going to help him think harder.

"Really?" She laughed and shook her head. Walking past him, she still couldn't remember where she knew the woman from. She couldn't have been much older than Riley, thirty maybe?

Perhaps they went to college together. A former customer?

"Hi, can I help you?" Riley said with a smile.

The woman met her gaze and smiled, her blue eyes bright.

"Hi, Riley, right?" She brushed some of her long blonde hair back behind her ear.

"Yes, is there something I can do for you Miss..." she left a long pause, hoping the woman would clue her in to who she was.

"Oh yes. Paddy told me you'd be here."

Paddy?

"I'm Tess."

Tess?

Then it hit her. The picture on the bookcase at Tommy's house. The only modern picture in the whole house. The one with Tommy's older brother Brendan, his wife and daughter.

"I'm Tommy's sister in law."

____________________________

Riley didn't know what to make of it. As she sat in the parking lot of the gym, she was thinking of ways to go about what Tess had asked of her. The sky was starting to turn grey as was her mood.

Ugh.

She covered her face with her hands and let out a sigh. She wanted Tommy to figure this whole brother thing out on his own, but she knew he was procrastinating. A sharp bang on the window startled her. Tommy smiled, his large hands flat against the driver side window.

"Hi." She smiled as he helped her out of the truck. He looked like classic Tommy, everything that she loved about him. An oversized hoodie, loose jeans and a black baseball cap.

"Look at you." He ran his fingers through her short hair and kissed her.

"I cut my hair." She blushed. Riley also loved the fact that Tommy could still make her blush.

"I see that. You look gorgeous, Ri." He stared at her slowly fading smile. She wanted to tell him about Tess but she promised that she wouldn't. It meant too much to Paddy. And in the long run, she knew that Tommy would forgive her.

"What's wrong?" His eyebrows furrowed and he placed his hands on her cheeks. She closed her eyes.

"Nothing. Just had a long day." The sky opened up just then and snow began to fall.

"Come on, let's get you home." He went to open the door for her but she wrapped her arms around his neck and hung there for a minute, staring into his blue eyes.

"What?" He whispered with a smile on his lips. She stood on her tiptoes and let her kiss speak for itself.

_______________________________________

The snow began to blanket the car so he turned on the wipers to get a better view through the windshield.

"So we have an agreement then?" Ryan didn't take his eyes off of Riley and Tommy standing outside of her truck.

"Look, I've seen him fight before. It ain't gonna be easy." The large man in the passenger seat grunted.

"Fine, if you aren't up to it then I'll find someone else." Ryan unlocked the car door.

"Okay, don't get hasty now. I just need another guy with me, that's all." The man's Philly accent was thick.

"Then it'll be done?" He glared at the man, stone faced.

"Yeah. It'll be done." He lifted a crooked smile and showed a glint of a gold tooth.

"Good. Here's half. I'll give you the rest when I'm satisfied." He tossed a thick manila envelope into the mans lap.

"And the other guy that'll be with me?" He opened the envelope and flipped through the money with his thumb.

"Its not my problem that you can't handle him alone." Ryan motioned to the door.

"You're the one who needs me to do it for you." He chuckled and then cleared his throat. Biting the hand that just fed him was probably not a good idea.

"Out." Ryan grumbled and looked out the window for Riley but she was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Riley