Status: working on it

Promises

Surprise, Surprise

“How old are you now Luz?” Mai asked when she saw my sparkly pink birthday girl crown that stood out against my jet black hair. “You should know, we’re best friends! I’m eleven today duuh!” I nearly shouted but didn’t, knowing that if I did, our teacher would be mad. “I can’t wait until school is over, I’m so excited! My mom told me she has a surprise for me!” I whispered to Mai as the teacher began the class.
~~
“Yay, school is FINALLY over! Oh look, my dad is here. See ya tomorrow Mai!” I called as I ran from Mai to dad’s truck. “Hi daddy, it’s my birthday today!” I reminded him making sure he wouldn’t forget. “Is it? I knew I was forgetting something,” he teased adding, “happy birthday you old lady! Oh and by the way Mom called she said she’s on her way home with your birthday surprise.” He said those last words with a hint of excitement. Doesn’t Dad know what the surprise is? I questioned silently as he drove. Oh well, I’ll just have to wait. I thought, giddy with happiness.
~~
Once we got home I grabbed a bowl of grapes and sat at the table to wait for Mom. Green grapes are my favorite because mom always says they match my eyes. I love having green eyes. Gee, she’s taking longer than usual, I thought to myself right before the phone rang. I sprung up to answer it.
“Hello?” I chirped happily into the phone.
“Hello, are you, Luz?” a strange husky voice asked.
“Yea that’s me. Who are you?” I was pretty confused.
“Please let me speak to your father,” the strange man said.
“Sure hold on a sec.” I said hesitantly.
“Daaaaaad!!!! The phone!!!!” I yelled since he was downstairs.
“Be right up!” he yelled back. He strolled towards me whistling and took the phone. I stood next to him as he spoke into the phone. What I heard from his side of the conversation sounded like this.
“Hello…yes………what do you mean…No…. that can’t be right” At this point I got worried because I could tell Dad wasn’t very happy anymore.
“What hospital is she in?” Dad continued.
“We’ll be there as soon as possible!” He told me to grab my coat and get in the car as he ran into his room phone still in his hand. I asked him what was wrong and where we were going a ton of times but I never got an answer. There wasn’t even anymore whistling.
~~
We showed up at a hospital I didn’t even know existed. It had a weird name that I couldn’t pronounce. Maybe that’s why he didn’t tell me where we were going; maybe he just can’t pronounce the name. I pouted; he could’ve said we were going to a hospital, angry that he wasn’t responding to my questions.
~~
When we got out of the car Dad grabbed my hand and started walking really fast, taking gigantic steps that I couldn’t keep up with because even though I’m eleven I’m really short, too short I guess. Dad gave up quickly and just picked me up and ran instead. I would’ve told him to put me down since I’m now eleven and way too old for childish games like that but something seemed really wrong, so I didn’t say anything. Finally inside he ran up to the front desk lady, me still in his arms, and nearly screamed at her, practically begging for my mom’s room number. That’s when I spoke up.
“Mom? What’s mom doing here? Did she make an appointment on my birthday? And can you put me down now??” I asked pouting my lip and furrowing my eyebrows. I thought those were good questions but no one answered them.
A doctor (I could tell he was a doctor by his clipboard and ugly blue cap) came up to us and started saying a bunch of stuff that I didn’t understand. He was speaking doctor. I gave up trying to pay attention and stared at a weird looking shape in the wallpaper. I was beginning to decide that the shape looked most like an elephant when I looked at Dad for a sec and saw he was crying. I didn’t even know dads could cry! That’s when the doctor stopped talking and left. Did the doctor say something mean to Dad? What a bully! Dad put me down and crouched down to my height.
”Luz, you know what doctors do right?” Dad asked.
“Yeah they save peoples lives.” I said unsure of my self.
“That’s right baby, but sometimes the people that need saving, are too hurt to get better. Well, your mom-” He had to pause a while to stop from crying, but he continued.
“Your mom she got into a car accident, the doctors did their best to save her, but she didn’t make it.” He choked on those last words but I just stared at him blankly.
“I don’t get it. What are you saying?” I asked severely confused.
“Sweetie, your mother…she’s dead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I've been editing this. It's a little old. I would really appreciate some feed back I hope to have the next chapter up very soon, if not tonight.