Porcelain

Four

Sometimes Addison swore that time slowed down just to toy with her, especially when she only had half an hour left of her shift. She couldn’t figure out whether it went faster or not if she stood there staring at the second hands moving around the clock face. Either way watching them move was better than glancing back and forth every ten seconds hoping that it was actually a minute. Looking up as a figure entered the hall, she moved to greet the young man.

“Was there anything I can help you with today?” she asked as he halted by the first display. He didn’t bother to hide the way his eyes travelled over her and she felt immediately repelled, her body stiffening with the action.

“Yeah, I was after something that smells as good as you look,” he replied and Addison had to fight to stop herself from gagging at his terrible attempt at a pick up line. “But seriously, you look like a girl who knows her scents. What are your favourites?”

“Well I’m rather fond of the newest James Bond Quantum cologne we’ve just received,” she said, leading him over to the correct cabinet. She knew that as she made her way across the floor his eyes were on her backside and she tried to tell herself that once she made this sale she could go home. “It’s got a very woody scent, incredibly masculine.”

She pulled the vial off the shelf, spraying it onto one of the card strips provided and holding it out for him. He took it and inhaled deeply, his face looking pleased with what he smelt. Addison offered him a smile, knowing it would aid her in the long run. “Also with it being summer I’m still a little attached to the Ocean Royale, as well as the woody scents it also features lime, sea breeze accord, and coffee.”

“Which one would give me the best chance at getting your number?” he asked, smirking lightly and she bit down on her lip. She wanted to tell him that nothing in this store would gain him that privilege, but instead found herself sinking low into the sale opportunity.

“Both, Ocean Royale won’t work once Autumn hits,” she said, knowing that he had more than enough money to purchase both. He seemed to debate the idea for a moment before nodding. Grabbing two of the sealed boxes she led the boy back over to the counter, acknowledging the fact that her manager had appeared to stand by the register. Putting through the sale Addison hoped that her superior didn’t notice the disheveled look on the guy’s face that came with the knowledge that he wouldn’t be able to ask for her number now. Once he had slunk out of the area, she turned to face her boss.

“A double sale? Impressive Addison, as always. Look I hate to do this to you, but Rachael’s gone home sick and I was wondering if you mind staying on to close? You’ll get paid extra for it,” the lady enquired and with the words Addison watched as her chance of escaping the place dwindled away.

“I don’t have anything on, so I could do it yes,” she answered, despite wanting to tell the woman that yes, she minded very much but there was nothing she could do about it now, was there? The manager gave her a warm smile, thanking her heartily before disappearing and Addison slumped against the counter.

Three hours passed even slower than before and by the time Addison had closed up and was on the drive home she had a pounding headache that the painkillers in her bag were yet to relieve. Stopping by McDonald’s to treat herself it was eight o’clock by the time she was slipping her key into the front door of the house and her headache had only increased. Traipsing inside she was drawn to a commotion in the living room and poked her head in to find Tom, Emma, and her boyfriend Oscar sitting around drinking. Her brow immediately drew together and all she could hear for a moment was the thumping in her skull.

“Hey love, care to join us for a few drinks?” Emma offered, holding up a bottle of beer and the younger girl shook her head.

“I’m exhausted, have a splitting headache, and was hit on by a poster boy for Ralph Lauren, I think I’m just going to crash out.”

“Damn that’s a shame Addie. On behalf of the male species I’d like to apologise for those socially inept enough to use sleaze as a way to tell a woman like yourself how beautiful you are. Let us cheer you up? We’ll be classy I swear,” Oscar said and Addison couldn’t help but chuckle. She loved Emma’s boyfriend, he was an incredibly laid back Scotsman who could have an entire room in fits of laughter in seconds. But even he wasn’t enough to warrant sitting in a room with Tom.

“Thanks Oz, but I still think I’m going to have to choose bed sorry,” she apologized, shooting him and Emma a smile. Bidding them goodnight she stepped away from the archway, moving towards the stairs.

“Oh hey Addie, have you seen the spare blanket? I’m not letting Tom drive home tonight,” Emma called out, her head poking around the corner and Addison’s shoulders slumped.

“I think it’s still in the basket waiting to be washed,” she answered and the girl pouted. With a shrug the dark haired girl began to climb the stairs. She hoped that the small group wouldn’t be too rowdy and she could fall asleep straight away, only rising once Tom had left the next morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
So things have settled down a little bit (by that I mean I don't have to be anywhere and am done packing for the day). I will hopefully get to write some more over the next few days as well.