Status: One-shot

Indefinite

1/1

She walked into the upstairs living room with a bowl of popcorn on that rainy, and lonely, Saturday afternoon. The house was empty sans her, as her boyfriend was out of town and wouldn’t return until the day after next. She set the bowl down and placed the DVD into the player. She sat on the couch, facing away from the entrance into the living room, and placed the popcorn in her lap. She reached for the remote and hit “Play”. She sunk into the red velvet couch, not wanting to give notice to anything else. Slinging her hand over the back of the couch, her other hand rested in the popcorn. She had heard from a few friends that the movie was worth seeing. They’d said they never would have guessed of an ending quite like this one. She was excited to see it finally.

The credits played through the first five minutes, introducing character, director, producer, and then the movie was off. The story followed a love-torn hero and his heroine. They convened in a distant dwelling, deep in the forest. They shared soft caresses and kisses. It was there the hero whispered secret words to his lover, begging for their maniacal plan to continue. The heroine, being uncertain, finally agreed. Their plan was concrete. As the hero and heroine parted ways, he pressed into her hands the cool metal blade that she was to use. With that, he went north, into the adjacent state while she headed back toward the village to follow through with her instructions. She scurried down the main avenue, turning left onto a secondary road. The final house on the left, a tan building being held up with but three rusty nails, was the goal. The door would be unlocked, her lover had said. And it was. The downstairs living room would be empty, as it was. The kitchen, empty. Up the stairs she ventured. The first doors would host vacant rooms. But the final doorway straight ahead to lead into the upstairs living room was where she had to look. The couch would face away from her, so she could sneak in undetected.

And there her target was. Above the back of the red velvet couch, a hand draped casually over the back with the other hand in a bowl of popcorn in her lap, was a girl watching the credits of a movie she had just finished.