‹ Prequel: The Glory Days
Status: The Sequel is Here!

Living for Now

Get It Together

Right after landing upon the deck of the Helicarrier, Bridget walked off on her own to be by herself and to make sure that she wouldn't murder Loki right then and there. She was infuriated that they hadn't been able to retrieve Lily, that she was still out there with Barton and Selvig. There was no telling what that psychopath ordered his little bewitched minions to do...

She closed the door to her assigned room behind her and leaned against it for a while, hearing footsteps of the other agents coming and going. Finally she pushed off it and walked a few steps over towards her bed, letting her hands cup her face as she tried to calm herself down with little success. She couldn't get it out of her mind. She hated that Lily could be in so much danger, so frightened and alone, and Bridget couldn't help but feel that it was her fault.

I should have gotten off the jet to search while they were handling him.

Only more thoughts rampaged through her mind. The amount of self-hate she had for herself was growing steadily, the brunette wanting nothing more than to beat herself up.

There was a knock upon the door, though she didn't even notice with her jumbled thoughts, and Steve poked his head in slowly and ever so cautiously, not knowing if she was indecent or not. “Bridge?” He quietly questioned, soon catching a glimpse of her in a distressed state. Immediately he closed the door after himself and walked over to her, placing a hand upon her back to console her. “Bridget, what's wrong?”

When his hand touched her back, she jumped and felt stupid for not hearing or noticing he had come into her room. Bridget sat upright to hide her shame and self-loathing. “Nothing's wrong,” she replied. “What is it?”

“Bridget, I know that something's wrong. Tell me, let me in.” He urged.

“It's nothing, Steve. You're worrying too much over nothing.”

Steve's lips formed a firm line as she pushed him away with her words. He turned his body to face her completely, his hands reaching out and taking her shoulders into his grasp to make her face him as well. “Bridget, tell me the truth. What's wrong?”

Her eyes scanned over his face. His expression was stern and his eyes held such sincerity within them, such concern for her well-being, that she was reminded of the past. It all made her remember the dreaded time when he would be leaving to fight again in the war, how she desperately wanted him to stay and how he would endlessly lend a shoulder and carry her worries.

Soon those same feelings she had for him seemed to weigh down upon her alongside her concern for Lily, and she wasn't strong enough to carry them both. She wanted to do nothing more than break down... and so she did.

Bridget's arms wrapped around his neck and she pulled herself into his torso before he could even register what was going on, his arms still hanging out in their previous position from holding her shoulders. Slowly, he let them down to rest upon the small of her back, soothing her as best he could when he heard soft, labored breaths that he assumed was her quietly crying. He hugged her tightly to let her know he was there and her muffled sobs seemed to intensify, her hands squeezing him back in response as she loved the way he held her so carefully.

Bridget had forgotten how comforting Steven's embrace was, but she figured what was most comforting about it was the fact that nothing had changed about it. Her body pressed against his own was the best form of consolation she'd ever have. As a few tears streaked down her cheeks from her eyes, she buried her face into the nook of his neck, just as she had done the day they said goodbye for the last time, when Steve left for war and didn't return.

For a few minutes, it was just like that. Bridget released her pent up emotions and Steve let her squeeze him whenever necessary and he would warmly return the gesture. Soon the brunette was silent, her sharp breaths being smooth and calm and her arms no longer constricting around him too tightly. After giving her a minute to regroup, he slowly pulled himself away from her little by little, but only left enough space between them so he could gaze at her face.

Surprisingly, her face wasn't that bad. Her cheeks and eyes were a bit pinkish, but not too much to the point where it was obvious that she had been crying. Cupping her face, his thumbs gently caressed her cheeks and wiped away the few streaks her tears had left behind. Their eyes met and a connection was made between the two.

Slowly, they leaned in, the both of them unaware that they were getting closer. Their hot breath mixed together as their eyes darted to the lips of the other. Their lips were centimeters apart as they paused for a split second, almost wondering they should. Care was thrown to the side as Steve closed the gap, the two of them crashing together for the first time in years.

It was as if they were both waiting for this moment to happen as they kissed feverishly, Steve pulling Bridget's body onto his lap while her arms squeezed him tightly against herself as she had done earlier. Her fingers worked themselves into his hair, tangling her tips in his locks of blond hair and pulling on them gently. Steve's hands guided themselves up and down her curves and along her thighs, the gesture coming back to him as he had always done back in the day.

The two of them were lost in each other. They weren't aware of their surroundings and when a knock was heard from the door, they slowly pulled away, huffing lightly as they caught their breath. “Spencer, we're meeting at the bridge.” Romanoff's voice could be heard from the other side along with her footsteps that seemed to disappear soon after.

Gently, Bridget pushed herself off of the Captain's lap. “You should go first. I'll meet you there.” She ordered, walking towards a small dresser that held a few of her belongings.

Still somewhat breathless, he nodded. “Okay,” he acknowledged, rising from the bed and walked towards the brunette to stand behind her a plant a kiss upon the nape of her neck. “Come soon.” As he walked to the door, he paused. “And don't worry, Bridge. We'll get your friend back from Loki.”

Her heart dropped as he left and her mind was set back onto Lily once more. Shaking her head, Bridget began to collect herself. Get it together, Bridget.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bam. It happened. I'm sorry it took so long. I'm quite aware of the fact that I suck at updating.

Thanks to those who commented!! I love you so much for your feedback!

SuperWhoVengeLock
Lulie Belle

and
Peace_Love_Jonas

Your comments are always appreciated!

Please comment, recommend, and subscribe!