Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Trainer and Pokemon Fight

Isaac and I found Uriah down the hill in the grass, but he wasn't a charmander anymore.

A pidgeotto lay on the ground, bleeding from the neck with multiple burn marks on its body. A large, red-orange lizard with red-stained talons loomed over it, its thick tail swinging with a flame at the end. It was Uriah. Uriah had evolved. I didn't have an idea how, but when I saw him there, I had a chilling sense all his desperation and anger had forced him into this form.

"Shit," I said, and the Pokemon swiveled his head around. The pidgeotto was motionless and I had a sickening feeling it was dead. Something cold spread through my body. This was why the boy gave him away. Uriah was a monster.

Uriah growled. You're brave.

It must've been my fear that heightened my sense of understanding; his words were as clear as day. "And you killed that Pokemon," I whispered.

The Pokemon, a charmeleon now, took a step forward. He was bigger now and heavily muscled. The Pokemon was nearly four feet tall and could kill me if he wanted to. But I couldn't let this Pokemon intimidate me. Uriah rumbled, And what if I did?

"That's murder and undoubtedly cruel. I can't have you act like this."

Then release me.

"And let you wreak havoc on the land? No. I don't think so."

That is an honorable decision. Uriah took another step forward. My heart beat faster. But does that mean you're an honorable trainer?

"I'm not a trainer." I stood my ground. Isaac looked up at me. "'Trainer' has the connotation that they cruelly fight their Pokemon to death. I am not a trainer."

Uriah cocked his head. I see. But I still will not follow you.

I wanted to leave and forget about him. This was suicide to try to get this Pokemon on my team and both Isaac and I knew it now. But then, the pidgeotto fluttered to its feet and took off in a bolt of feathers. Uriah merely glanced at it and grinned toothily. He really hadn't killed it. I frowned. "I can't have you acting like this if I will have you in my team," I said. "I'm the only thing you've got now. It's worth it to be with the only thing you have."

When I said that, I thought of my mom and I thought of Malachi. It made me angry and I stared into Uriah's eyes hoping that I'd burn through them.

He growled. No. You aren't worth my time.

Then he lunged.

I was halfway expecting this and whipped out my pocketknife, but with a slap of Uriah's tail it was gone. The next thing I knew was that his talons were raking down my chest. I didn't have time to scream and I cuffed the charmeleon in the jaw, staggered back, and suddenly Isaac was in front of me. With a mighty push, he slung Uriah away.

"Fffuck!" The pain hit me all at once and I realized my shirt was in tatters. Then I grew numb. It was as if seeing the blood flowing out of me was so intense my brain blocked it out. The cuts were deeper than I imagined and I saw bits of my muscle glistening. Uriah was on all fours, his tail swinging. I didn't know how I was still standing.

He hissed. You, little Pokemon. You would risk your life for a human who will end up betraying you?

I realized Isaac was in front of me. My vision went black at the edges and the plated Pokemon burbled. Beau is my friend. He would not betray me and I would do anything to help him. I was given away like you, but only because my trainer knew that I would serve him better than her.

Uriah spat flames. Fool.

He lunged again, but Isaac rushed to intercept him. Isaac was smaller by more than a foot and a half, but he was bulky. Isaac slammed his paw into Uriah's chest and he used the charmeleon's momentum against him to knock him aside. Uriah's claws merely scraped his plated back. But the charmeleon's tail snapped out and slapped Isaac away. Isaac squealed and rolled out of the blow. "Stop, Uriah!" I shouted.

He hissed. Do you think I will respond to that petty name?

"Your old trainer didn't bother to give you one."

My old trainer was weak; dishonorable. Uriah growled again, this time deeper. You are nothing better.

"I'll prove you wrong."

Uriah bared his teeth and flung himself at me.

I dodged, but I was too slow. The charmeleon sunk his talons into my side and knocked me down. I was bigger than him, though. This was like me fighting Malachi, the roles reversed, but Malachi never fought against a giant reptile that breathed fire.

I elbowed him in the neck and threw him off of me. His claws were sunk deep into my skin, but I had to ignore it. I clamped him hand around his jaws to keep them shut and used my body weight to keep him down. My knees pressed on his legs and my elbow kept one of his arms away. Only his taloned hand drew blood from my side.

"Why did you attack that pidgeotto?" I hissed.

Uriah snarled under my hand. I would never fight without reason. It attacked me first for treading on its territory. I knocked it out as a warning.

"You know what, listen to me!" I lost it and my voice jumped an octave. "I don't know what your problem is but I'm your partner now! Your old trainer thought I would be a better match for you and that's what I'm going to be. The way you're acting now would make any reasonable person back off but I'm not a fucking reasonable person. I've set my mind on you, you've got that? I've got my own goals." My hands were shaking and I knew if he wanted to, Uriah could break free. "You don't have to follow my personal goals, but you have to support me and the other Pokemon. That's what humans and Pokemon do. I want to support you. We support each other."

My voice was quavering so bad I wondered if Uriah can even understand me. Uriah narrowed his eyes. His skin was so hot against me I imagined that I was already burned.

Release me, he rumbled.

"How can I trust you?"

He unhooked the talons from my side. Release me, he repeated.

I pulled myself off of him and panted. The charmeleon rose and breathed hard as well. Human, he addressed me.

"Yeah?" I breathed.

And after a moment of staring into each others' eyes, he spoke. I've decided I will follow you.

A wry grin crossed my face and I laughed wheezily. "I'm glad," I said. Right then my head swam and I sagged against the ground. It was like my muscles wouldn't work anymore. I saw my blood coming out of me, but it looked pretty for some reason. The red glistened on the bright green grass in an interesting way.

Uriah blew smoke from his nostrils. You've deemed yourself worthy. Your actions are admirable.

His voice blurred and I barely understood him. That was when I heard a shrill voice call from behind me.

"Oh my God, Beau!"

Then everything faded out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is Uriah even worth it?

I named Uriah after a character in a book. I bet everyone has read Divergent right?

I named Czeslaw after a character in an anime I've watched. It's called Baccano.

Florence and Isaac were pretty much taken out of a baby name book. I have one in my room just for creating characters, silly, isn't it?