Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Leaving Pallet Town

I didn't really remember what happened after that. I just woke up on Malachi's signature overstuffed couch with a headache from hell. At first I didn't know why I was there. It hit me once I saw the yellow Pokemon in the living room looking at me.

I almost threw a pillow at it. "Go away!" I snapped. "Get lost!"

The Pokemon shuddered, tears welled up in its eyes, and it bounded off.

I didn't feel bad. I swung myself off the couch and stormed up to Malachi's room. I tromped on every step, even the squeaky one that wouldn't stop squeaking no matter how hard they tried to fix it. I banged on his door. "Malachi!" I shouted. "Malachi, get up!"

Malachi emerged immediately, and he didn't look like he'd slept. "Oh, you're up," he said.

"Of course I'm up!" I nearly screamed. "Malachi, I don't know what to do!"

The words tore from my throat like knives and Malachi remained unruffled. There were shadows under his eyes and his brown hair was frizzed up. His shoulders slumped. "My mom and dad said you can stay here until we can contact your dad," he said tiredly.

"Fuck my dad!" I pushed past him and stomped around his room. I tripped over a couple of his dirty clothes while I did so. It made me want to rip his posters off his walls, but I didn't. "My dad is gone and you know it," I spat. "He's probably dead.

Malachi silently closed the door and eased himself onto his bed like an old man with arthritis. "I know. But you don't have any other relatives that are fit to take care of you."

I swore profusely at the air. "I'm a fucking orphan. I don't know what to do with my life. I don't know how to get my mom back and I don't even know where to start!" I let out an exasperated roar and tore out my hair. "Screw me! Screw my life! What do I do!?"

"I know what I'm going to do."

I shut myself up and stared at him. Malachi slowly rose and shoved his hands into his pockets. His eyes trailed up to mine.

"I'm leaving. Today," he said.

"Leaving? Leaving where?" I demanded.

"I'm taking my eevee and leaving," he repeated. "I'm going to battle gym leaders and catch Pokemon."

I was struck dumb. Then I found my tongue. "Are you fucking kidding me? You're going on a Pokemon League Challenge in a crisis like this?"

He didn't answer. He walked over to his desk and tied a sharpedo fang necklace around his neck. He'd gotten it from a vacation and never left the house without it. That was when I knew he was serious. "I need to get stronger," he said, as if that would convince me.

"There are other ways you can do that without going on a suicide mission," I said. My voice escalated. This was exactly what my father did. "Malachi, you're not going to come back. People die on those challenges."

"I know. But I'm not going to die."

"Malachi!" I watched in horror as he gathered his items and pulled out his backpack. He rifled through his clothes drawers and got the sleeping bag we used to camp together with. "Malachi, you can't! You're seventeen and have everything to lose! What about school!? What about your family!? What about - what about me!?"

Malachi stopped and looked at me. His expression was sorrowful. "I know I'm hurting you by doing this. But this is something I need to do. I'm not going to die and I will come back when I'm stronger so I can protect my family."

"Malachi, I'm your best friend." I was shaking. "You know what? If you're going, then I'm going too!"

My words didn't even touch him. "I'm going alone," he said evenly.

I nearly punched him. "Fine!" I spat. "You fucking traitor, you know how I feel about this! If you leave, I'll leave too and beat your sorry ass if I find you on the road!"

To my surprise, Malachi laughed. He laughed so hard I wanted to scream. After he calmed down he gave me his normal shit-eating grin and spoke, "Is that a threat? I'll have to take you up on that." He slapped me on the shoulder. "See you on the road, buddy."

I stalked right out of the room. I stalked right out of the house. I stalked right to my home that was next door and I threw myself inside and gathered up my belongings. I snagged every scrap of money I could find and put on some real clothes. I stuffed supplies and food into my backpack and tied my sleeping bag on top. My window was still shattered from last night. My mind was whirling. I couldn't think straight. I just pulled on my cap and slung my backpack on.

Then I heard a knock on the door. It was so soft I could barely hear it, so I knew who it was without having to see. I tromped downstairs and opened the door. Laura.

"Hey, Beau," she said softly.

"Hey," I said.

"Malachi says you're leaving."

"It's true."

She looked at her feet. I stood at the door, breathed, and allowed my thoughts to settle.

"I wanted to give you some things," Laura whispered. She handed me a bundle wrapped in a handkerchief. "Inside are pokeballs, a map, and a pokedex. The pokedex is from my grandpa; he thought it would be useful. Also..." She paused. I realized that the little yellow Pokemon from before was hiding behind her legs. It poked its head out and shook a bit, as if about to cry. "Florence wanted to go with you."

The Pokemon shivered and buried her face into Laura's leg when our eyes met.

"Really?" I wasn't too happy about this idea, but I dropped into a crouch and reached outwards. The Pokemon flinched away. "Are you... sure about that?"

"Yes. Don't worry, pikachu tend to be shy at first." I reached out again and touched her fur, but a spark leaped out and singed my fingers. I swore and fell onto my butt. Laura giggled and Florence cried. The pikachu didn't look at me, and she shivered uncontrollably.

I flapped my scorched hand and frowned. "I'm pretty sure Florence hates me."

"She's just timid." Laura moved out of the way and Florence covered her face with her paws. "She's a good Pokemon, I promise you."

The, the pikachu uncovered her face and peered out at me with wet, round eyes. I didn't know what to think of her, but at that moment I realized I needed to make a decision. If I was going to go out, it was going to be dangerous. Those crooks were out there with their own Pokemon, and if I went out alone it was going to be a lot harder and a lot riskier without one of my own. But with a Pokemon I'd be just like my dad: a dirty rotten trainer just like the thieves. What could I do?

I gritted my teeth and swallowed my pride. "Alright, Florence, welcome to the team," I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
The cool thing about not having genders specified in Special Pikachu Edition is that I can make them up on the spot. Hee hee.

-edit: I realize the swearing can put people off. I cut it down a bit.