Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Lieutenant Surge and the Battle Within

The next day I got up, took some Ibuprofen for my massive fucking headache, and headed to the gym. Going to the gym would take my mind off of things, and I definitely needed that. My body felt carved out and the rest of me hung limp off my bones. I also didn't bother brushing my hair. My Pokemon silently followed.

Florence squeaked in my ear. I don't want to fight...

"It's fine. You don't have to."

Then we entered the gym.

The gym leader was massive. He was probably six foot six and his muscles bulged under his shirt like a body builder. In fact, the gym looked like an actual gym; it had all these electrical equipment around. He sized me up as I walked in and I prayed that it was my Pokemon fighting and not me. "Well, hey there," he said.

"Hi," I said awkwardly. I knew I looked like a hobo, but I could care less about that. I just didn't want to get stepped on. "I'm here to fight you."

"Ah, you're that little squirt that was on the cruise ship, eh?" He bellowed a laugh. "That ought to be fun. I like beating up prissy rich kids."

I stiffened. "How many Pokemon are we using?"

"I've only got one: my partner from the war. I'm lieutenant Surge. Nice to meet you, squirt."

"It's Beau," I said, but he already tossed his pokeball.

A large Pokemon exploded from the ball and grinned devilishly at me. It looked like a bigger version of Florence but with brown fur and a thin, whiplike tail. Florence, despite being depressed, pricked her ears forward. "What the hell is that?" I murmured.

"That's a raichu, son. A stronger and more badass version than your pikachu there. Use a thunderstone." Surge grinned. "Evolving your Pokemon makes them stronger. If you had a moonstone, you could also evolve your nidorino."

"These Pokemon are fine the way they are," I said. Czeslaw looked perplexed, though. "Isaac, get out there, we've got this."

Isaac burbled and stepped forward.

"Good choice, squirt. Let's see if it can handle raichu. Mega kick!"

The raichu launched itself at Isaac and smashed him with its foot. I clenched my fists and Isaac was thrown back with the power. He was hit right in the sternum. "Shit," I cussed. But Isaac got up, his claw cupped around his chest, and gulped some breaths. I hoped his ribs weren't broken. "Can you slash it?" I called.

He nodded, narrowed his eyes, and lunged with speed I didn't think were possible with his condition. The raichu wasn't expecting it and screeched when Issac tore down it's side with his claw. Isaac actually drew blood, but thankfully it wasn't deep and was probably his intention. Lieutenant Surge went redfaced. "Kill it!" he roared.

Lightning surged from the raichu's fur and Isaac ducked into a ball. With a crack! of electricty Isaac's body took the blast full-on. I almost screamed in panic, but the arms of electricity bounced straight off his back scales. My jaw dropped. "Isaac!" I shouted. What if Surge really tried to kill him?

Then the sandslash lashed his talons at it.

And with that last slash, the raichu passed out.

The raichu collapsed on the ground and didn't move. Isaac breathed hard, and his face was filled with regret. I knew then he never wanted to hurt the thing. "Damn, squirt," Surge growled. "Come get your badge."

---

I sat in the Pokemon Center and moped.

So a gym leader didn't make me feel better, it just pointed out the violence of trainers even more. I kept the egg on lap and rubbed it absently to pass the time. My Pokemon rested around me. I also contemplated my life and replayed what happened last night for the fiftieth time. The blood. The destruction. Florence's crush. And even lieutenant Surge didn't even turn out to be a good hero. Was I even cut out for this? Could I put these Pokemon through all this savagery?

"I think I'm depressed," I mumbled.

Florence squeaked in agreement. She was leaning against my side with no strength in her body.

"Hey all," I said to get their attention.

The Pokemon turned to look at me. I think they noticed my mood but didn't say anything about it. I swallowed. "Do you... Do you want to keep going?" I asked.

Czeslaw narrowed his eyes. Beau, what is this about?

"I don't fucking know. I'm still shaken up and I keep getting shaken up."

Is it because of Malachi? Isaac asked.

"No, I'm over that fucking traitor." Maybe it did have something to do with him, though. "I kind of got a shock from reality last night about Team Rocket. They kill things. They kill people. They kill Pokemon." Florence started crying. "I'm a hotshot until I actually see destruction. It was easy not to believe it when you didn't see it."

The Pokemon were quiet. I tucked Florence closer to me and waited for one of them to say something. Florence's sobs were the only noise. I stroked her gently to calm her.

Beau, I want to evolve, Czeslaw growled.

I was about to ask what the relevance was, but he continued. The tall leader said I can only evolve with a moon stone. In my clan before you caught me, my tribe leader spoke of those stones being mined by humans. They must be bountiful in the human economy. So in order for me to evolve, we must work as a team to find one. Do you understand?

I hesitated. "What's wrong with staying a nidorino? I can train you as you are and you'd still get just as strong."

Czeslaw stamped his foot. I flinched. It doesn't work like that! he snarled. I've only dreamed of being the king of legends; being a nidoking defies your current knowledge of power. You do not know the potential of power like I know. And if you give up, I won't even become powerful as a nidorino. Must I spell it out? No strong trainers, no new challenges to learn from. And if you give up- Czeslaw's voice grew to a roar - I will not be able to help you find your mother!

I was stunned into silence.

If you give up, Czeslaw hissed, you will be forcing us to give up our dreams. I want to be powerful.

Isaac laid a taloned hand on my knee. I want to be the best friend I can be.

Summer slipped one of her vines into my hand. I... she croaked. I am no stranger to violence. I want peace.

Florence shivered. I want to be brave.

That was when Uriah looked up. He had his head down and away from me as this was happening and had made no notion he was even listening. This time he stared me straight in the eyes.

I only want honor, he growled. And you have shown honor by saving my life.

I found myself crying.

"You're all right," I said, and my voice cracked. "And thank you. I didn't think what would happen to you if I quit. That was selfish of me."

Czeslaw grinned toothily. Are you ready to move onward?

"Yeah." I stood up and wiped my eyes. "No time for dallying. What was I fucking thinking? Let's go."

That was when I felt the egg tucked under my arm crack, and I heard peeping within.
♠ ♠ ♠
My brother is in a sculpture class and he's making a bust of Satan. Nobody in that class talks to him.

I literally just sand attack spammed the raichu and knocked it out with two hits. I didn't know why it tried to thunderbolt my ground type, but oh well. The sand attack isn't really interesting, so I didn't include it. I wasn't actually going to expand on much of the fighting either, but I decided against it.