Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Uriah's Understanding

Isaac's pokeball was seriously busted, so we had to carry him down the path. The road was mostly downhill and was patchy with grass and lined with trees. The dirt was packed down by years of travel. This road was probably the only road from Lavender to Fuchsia.

Isaac had a fever. Summer fed him herbs and berried and I made sure his wound was clean. He'd stopped bleeding so much, but he was weak and didn't have the strength to move on his own, so I worried about him during the night. I didn't even have a sleeping bag so it was Rose and Florence cuddling me to keep me warm and I had an arm around Isaac the whole time. Uriah slept alone. I had a feeling Czeslaw and Summer were sleeping together, and my hunch was right when I went on a midnight bathroom break and saw them snuggled up together. It made me smile.

It took us days on the road. There was a long fenced area we stopped by and I did my routine of checking on Isaac's wound and cleaning it if necessary. He wasn't looking much better. Red spidery lines spread from his wound and I knew I would lose him if we didn't get him to a Pokemon Center soon. He slept peacefully in front of me, too exhausted to even wake up as I was re-wrapping it. My throat clogged with emotion and it took all I had not to let out a sob. I couldn't let him die. I stroked his head with a trembling hand. I can't let him die...

Beau.

I looked over. It was Uriah and that was probably the first time I'd heard him say my name without any sort of disgust. His tail swung evenly in the night and cast shifting shadows along the fence. "Yes?" I asked.

Come with me.

I frowned and followed him.

I watched Uriah's tail as he led me to the edge of the path, far from the other Pokemon. I wondered if he was fed up and was going to take me away to kill me. He didn't seem threatening though. He looked calm. He didn't walk with the predatory prowl he usually did and the fire at the end of his tail was low and soft. It was a campfire, not a firestorm. Uriah stopped at the edge of the fence and looked out.

I followed his gaze. The moon was full and its reflection shone almost unmarred in the water. The river was still. I blew out my breath silently. Uriah said nothing for a very long time.

Do you remember the boy that gave me to you? he asked.

"I do," I said.

His father beat him.

I flinched. "Why would you tell me that?"

Because I understand a lot of things now. He turned his head and his gaze burned into mine. I understand why his father hit him and why he didn't fight back. I was too young then to know what was going on and made the wrong judgments. I was wrong about a lot of things. My old trainer wasn't dishonorable. His father was.

I said nothing and watched his flame flicker in the night.

Jordan... I understand his ways now. He did try to protect me by giving me to you. And I understand your ways and the others' ways. Uriah looked at the slow-moving water. Everyone grew up in different ways. That is why they act the way they do. And the way I grew up makes me act the way I do.

Uriah turned his gaze to me again. His eyes were intense, but something different was in them. There was no darkness. "Are you trying to apologize to me?" I asked.

The charmeleon laughed and flames sparked from his teeth. Not at all. I don't feel sorry for my actions. Then he quieted. However, I learned from them. I don't know if I'll change, but I do understand now.

"I don't get you," I said. "You're not making much sense. What brought up all of this? What suddenly enlightened you?"

You, Beau.

I stopped.

The way you cared for Isaac, Uriah rumbled. You stood up for your beliefs, but once you realized you were wrong, you changed. I realize I must do the same. It is only honorable that way.

"Uriah," I said. My hands shook. "What did you change from? I don't understand."

Uriah snorted. Maybe you'll figure it out later. Then he turned and prowled down the fence-line. Walk with me. There's no good in getting lost in the dark.

I swallowed and scurried after him. Bugs trilled and his flame grew bright to light the way. I didn't notice the change until I got back and settled with Isaac, Florence, and Rose.

Uriah walked beside me.