Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Spirit of Dreams

I didn't know how I survived the fall.

I awoke slowly like how I imagined coming from a coma would be like. First came the pain, a dull, throbbing in my head, and then my normal sensations. Something warm and fuzzy was curled on my chest and whiskers tickled my chin. It was Florence, I knew without having to look. Huh. How did I get out here? Didn't I make it to Saffron already?

Then I opened my eyes and saw Malachi.

I jolted upright and knocked Florence flat on her butt. She squeaked and I scooped her in my arms and cuddled her to make up for it. Malachi was eating a can of pears and my Pokemon were scattered around. They watched me intently. That was when I saw Spirit; and she was unconscious and tied to a tree.

"Why the fuck did you tie her up?" I demanded.

Malachi flinched. I realized I wasn't making any sense and tried to center myself. There were cuts all over my arms and Florence went bug-eyed. I set her down, but fire surged through my veins, and I scrambled over to Spirit and yanked the ropes off her. She didn't wake up and sagged in my arms.

"What are you doing?" Malachi hissed.

"She's a friend" I said, but cursed myself. She was a friend that betrayed me. A lover that betrayed me. Damn it, I was so weak. "We don't need to tie her up."

Malachi looked at me funny, like he was seeing me for the very first time. "Is that why you jumped through the window with her?" he asked in a low voice.

"I jumped through a window?" I was startled.

Malachi snorted. "You don't remember? Uriah popped out of his pokeball and saved your ass."

Uriah blew smoke. Foolish boy.

"Thank you," I whispered. I looked at Spirit in my arms for a second. She was breathing, and her face was pale. Blue veins shone through her delicate neck. "Well, Malachi, I should tell you how I met her."

So I told him everything. How I met her at Viridian, how we met in Mt. Moon, how she saved me in Cerulean, how I saved her in Rock Tunnel, and finally, how I discovered she was a member of Team Rocket at Lavender.

"And now that I think about it," my voice shook, "I should've expected this the entire time."

Malachi said nothing for a long time. I thought about stroking Spirit's hair, but I didn't. My best friend looked at my Pokemon, as if for confirmation, and they all nodded. "I see," he said. "So she's a double-agent?"

"Double-agent?" That struck me.

"Why would she willingly help us out of the building if she was really a member of Team Rocket?"

Then it hit me. That could've been the reason the entire time. I looked at the girl once again and saw the blood dried on her cheek. I winced. God, what was I going to do?

"We'll have to talk to her once she wakes up," Malachi said. "We'll get information out of her where the Rockets are next."

"Okay," I swallowed. "I think I need to wash m face."

---

Rose soaked a rag for me.

I scrubbed my face and my skin stung like hell. Malachi gave me some hydrogen peroxide, which made it worse. "It'll feel better afterward," Malachi said. "By the time this is over, you'll have a new collection of scars."

"Fucking great," I muttered.

I apologized to my Pokemon and made amends with them. They had been scared and worried since I forced them into their pokeballs. We had a group hug, though, which made me feel better. Well, Uriah didn't hug me, but he looked at me in a way I felt his forgiveness.

Afterwards Malachi and I conversed. It started to hit me that things were different between me and him. We still joked around like best friends, but the way he looked at me had changed. He looked at me in a flirty, coy way, something he would never have done before. A tension in my chest wound like coiled wire. I loved Spirit even though it hurt me like a poisoned knife to do so, I couldn't even begin to deny that, but now that Malachi was here...

I decided to deal with it like I always did: by not dealing with it.

Eventually Spirit woke. We'd settled her on the ground n her side so she wouldn't choke on her tongue. When she stirred, I almost jumped out of my skin. I scooted over to her and sat in front of her so she'd have something familiar to see. Her eyes fluttered open, glazed over with confusion. "Are... Are you okay?" I whispered.

She nodded slowly and I helped her to a sitting position.

Malachi didn't come close and I realized I had to take care of her. I didn't mind. "I pulled you out of the building and you're not with the Rockets," I said. "You're with me and Malachi."

Spirit rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. "They must think I burned to death."

I let her gather herself and Malachi inched closer. He probably didn't trust her yet. "Spirit," I said quietly. "I want to know the truth."

She blew out her breath and massaged her forehead. "I do owe you that," she murmured. "Well, I'll tell you everything, Beau."
♠ ♠ ♠
I have a friend named Hiroyuki; he was an international student I met in one of my classes. I always Facebook him pictures of animals I find. He's all like, "U really love animals, don't u?"

I do. :P