Status: Updating on Sundays and Mondays

Uncontained

Spirit of Love

I staggered out of the gym and Spirit practically had to hold me up. My Pokemon whooped and hollered cheers and clapped Rose on the back, but all I could think was that I nearly lost her. That was when I knew the dad transformation had completed. I sighed. I guessed it wasn't so bad, since I could've not cared at all like a jerk-trainer.

Uriah was unimpressed with the battle. They're not real fire Pokemon, he growled. True fire Pokemon can control their flames.

Spirit and I had a nice dinner at a local restaurant to celebrate the win.

Afterwards we settled at the Pokemon Center and talked. It was cheaper to rent a two-person room than two singles. I wasn't sure what to do when Spirit suggested it, but she only said, "I trust you," and we shared a room.

My Pokemon passed out as we talked quietly. They were spread around the tiny room together, some laying on each other, snoring. I was afraid Uriah's tail would set the curtains on fire, but so far, so good. "Do you think we'll find Malachi soon?" I whispered.

"I hope so. Have you been friends for a long time?" Spirit asked.

"Since we were born. We even shared a crib at times. Our parents were good friends and we lived right next to each other."

"That's really hard," she said softly. "I'm really sorry. I hope he doesn't hate me."

"Hate you?" I spluttered. "Why would he hate you?"

"Because I'm the 'other woman.' I would be angry too."

"You were the first woman," I said. "If he hates anybody, it would be me. I was the dickhead that messed everything up." Then I hesitated. Spirit watched me across the room, her dyed black hair fanning across her cheek. We were both exhausted. I wasn't sure how she was still talking at this hour. "How did you even forgive me for this?" I asked.

"How did you forgive me for being a Rocket?" she asked.

I opened my mouth, but no sound came out. I took a pause and started again. "Because I figured out the truth. You're not a bad person."

"Well, it's the same for you. If anything, Beau, my betrayal to you spurred this betrayal. If I had told you the truth in the beginning, you wouldn't have felt compelled to take your emotions elsewhere." She brought the covers to her face and looked down. "You had a reasonable reaction."

"Tell that to Malachi." I couldn't stand it anymore, hauled myself out of bed, stepped over Isaac, and crawled into bed with her. Her eyes widened in surprise, but she didn't push me away. Instead, she put her soft arms around me. I pressed my lips against her cheek. "Um, I guess it's a little late to ask this, but will you be my girlfriend?"

She smiled against me. "Of course, Beau."

My entire body flamed with warmth. I closed the gap between us and felt her heartbeat like a little bird against mine. I stroked her slender back. She smelled like the generic soap the Pokemon Center gave trainers to wash up with, but it was kind of nice in a way. I could get used to being with her like this.

"Spirit?" I whispered.

She didn't answer, and then I heard her slight snoring. She'd fallen asleep.

I smiled a little, and then it grew bigger and a few tears leaked from the corner of my eyes. Maybe, just maybe, things would be okay. Tomorrow would decide that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been tearing apart the beginning chapters a lot. Why did I think this was good? Ugh. Oh well, maybe this means I'm improving as a writer.

Comments, anyone? What do y'all think?