Status: I hope you like it.

The Boys, the Girls

Santa Carla, California - The Forest by the Beach - 11:09PM

The moment Carmen opened her eyes she wished she hadn’t. The sun that cast itself through her window covered her eyes causing them to feel like they were being viciously prodded by hot, fireplace stokers. “Kimberly!” She groaned out.

“What?” her younger sister snapped as she appeared in the doorway.

Carmen squinted her eyes at her, “Did you fall asleep on the couch last night?”

“Apparently,” Kimberly grumbled. “What did you need?”

“My sunglasses, they should be on my desk.” Kimberly grabbed the pair of thick, black, horn rimmed sunglasses and walked them over to her sister. Kimberly handed the sunglasses to her older sister before crawling into her bed and curling up next to her.

“I don’t feel well,” she grumbled.

“Me neither,” Carmen muttered.

“What happened last night?” Kimberly asked. “I don’t remember anything after I drank from that bottle of wine the boys past around.”

“Me neither,” Carmen muttered in reply, her voice drowsy.

“What time is it?” Kimberly asked her too getting drowsy.

“Four in the afternoon,” Carmen mumbled as she let her eyes drift shut.

“How late were we–” Carmen cut her sister off,

“Questions later,” she muttered, “sleep now.”

“Right,” Kimberly muttered turning to face away from her sister’s back, her eyes drifting shut also.
X
It was half an hour ‘til sunset, and Carmen and Kimberly’s aching, exhausted bodies woke feeling better than the first time they woke up, but were woken to the sound of motorcycles outside Carmen’s window. “It’s the boys,” Kimberly told her sister, feeling a lot better than she had when she woke up that afternoon. “Maybe they’ll know what happened.”

“Yeah,” Carmen replied as she stood. She felt better, but her stomach was still viciously trying to swallow itself and her head spun a little.

“Come on,” Kimberly urged her towards her balcony, “Let’s go talk to them, and then we’ll get ready and head down to the boardwalk.”

“Alright,” Carmen nodded and walked out onto her balcony.

“How’s your head, Carmen?” David called up to her from his bike.

“A little dizzy,” Carmen called back in reply.

“And your stomachs?” Marko asked the two of them.

“Been better,” Kimberly replied with a smile down at him.

“Listen, we’ve got to take care of something,” David called up to them, “but we’ll meet you later at the boardwalk.”

“Alright,” Carmen nodded.

“See you then, babe.” David smirked up at her. The strange thing: she could see it. Usually she wouldn’t have been able to, because it was dark and too far down. She brushed it off, though, and went back inside after watching her sister secretly blow a kiss to Marko.

Slipping back into her room, she walked over to her closet where her wardrobe made its home. She pulled on a pair of old, black, torn up skinny jeans and a loose t-shirt that had a heart on it that was filled with a picture of the night sky. A pair of white combat boots was pulled from her shoe rack, and she dug out her belly button ring that had a small dream catcher that hung from it, its jewels a soft blue color.

She dressed and headed for the living room to wait for her sister. Moments later, her sister came down wearing a white peplum top with a pair of soft blue shorts. She wore a pair of sandals that matched her shorts in color, and she wore the heart shaped necklace with a key cut out that read “He who holds the key can unlock my heart.” Kimberly also wore the key that matched the cut out, waiting for the right person to give it to, and Carmen had a pretty good idea of who it was going to be. Carmen was just about to say something to her, what it was, she couldn’t remember, when she heard laughter coming from behind their house.

Just beyond the fence of the DeClaire sisters’ home was a small patch of woods. It wasn’t large enough to cause too much alarm, but no one went in there after dark for cautionary reasons. So, when Carmen saw a group of partiers wandering into the wooded area, she was not only surprised, but also curious as to why they were heading in.

“What are you thinking, Carmen?” Kimberly asked, recognizing the calculating stare her sister had set on the woods beyond their property.

“I’m thinking,” Carmen told her sister as she opened the back door, “We are going to follow. Come on,” she made a gesture for her sister to follow her.

“We’re supposed to meet the guys at the boardwalk, though.” Kimberly told her sister in a whisper as they quietly made their way over to their back gate that led out onto the beach.

“They said they had to take care of something first, it’ll probably be a while. We’ve got time.” Carmen replied in a whisper just as low as her sister’s. Kimberly followed, grumbling under her breath.

Kimberly continued to grumble and complain all the way up the hill of sand. “Geez,” Carmen whisper-hissed at her sister, “what is your deal?”

“I wore sandals, Carmen,” Kimberly replied irritably, “they aren’t made for hiking up hills of sand.” Carmen rolled her eyes and continued into the woods, Kimberly following despite her complaints.

Kimberly wrapped her arms around Carmen’s right. The patch of woods they were in always gave her the willies at night when she was looking at it from the outside. Being on the inside made it much scarier, not because she couldn’t see anything, but because she could see everything, from the ants beneath her feet to the crevices of the bark on the trees. It was freaking her out.

It wasn’t until Kimberly went to tug at her sister’s arm that she realized her sister was missing. She cursed herself for getting distracted and went on walking. It was moments later that she heard her sister’s scream.
-
Carmen hadn’t realized she had lost Kimberly until she had already made it beyond the point of being able to retrace her steps. She stopped and stood in the path way alone, trying to decide whether to try and retrace her steps anyway, or to keep on. A strangled cry made her decision for her.

Running down the path she came upon a sight she wished she’d never seen, because standing there in the middle of the walk way was David. He was standing over a dead slut who had her throat ripped out. Upon closer inspection, David’s face was morphed into that of a creature from hell, fangs protruded from where his canines should be, and the blood of the dead slut tainted, not only his hands (literally and figuratively), but his face, neck, the front of his shirt, and the lips that she had ferociously had pressed against her own two nights ago.

She was about to scream bloody murder, but was stopped by her stomach twisting so violently she couldn’t stand. She let out a pained cry, and David and his pack finally looked up and saw her. David’s eyes, vengeful and angry, widened into one’s of shock. She watched his face morph back into the human one she knew before another flash of pain stabbed her stomach.

The platinum blonde took a step towards her, and she, despite the horrific pain in her stomach, attempted to push herself away from him. Tears streamed down her face as he quickly made his way over to her. “Carmen, I–”

“What are you?” she asked hoarsely gripping her stomach. She watched David open his mouth to reply, but before he could, blackness swallowed her vision and she was out.