Status: I hope you like it.

The Boys, the Girls

Santa Carla, California - Hudson's Bluff - 9:59PM

Her blonde hair was wet, splayed against the back drop of the sand, the sea water washing over it as the tide’s waves rolled in. She laid there, her eyes closed and a smile on her face, as her fingers danced across the sand. Her rosy lips opened the smile still apparent as she lilted out, “But I wish I was dead,” In time with the song playing very softly in the background.

He fought the urge to try and reach out to touch her from his spot next to her. He knew that if he did she’d end up standing up and begin running away with laughter on her lips. Just like she always did in these dreams, only showing him that he still hadn’t found the girl yet. “Every time I close my eyes, it’s like a dark paradise.” She lilted out another line, “No one compares to you, I’m scared that you won’t be waiting on the other side.”

“Oh, don’t worry babe,” He spoke with an evil smirk, “I will be.” He watched as her nose scrunched up as she giggled and her eyes opened as she looked over at him, revealing Carmen’s entrancing, deep green eyes. She grinned at him


David’s eyes snapped open in realization. He had been feeling a pull towards Carmen, but he didn’t know it had been that pull. He jumped down from the rafters knowing that the sun was nearly finished setting. His thoughts wandered to Carmen and the past few nights.

His thoughts were cut off by loud cursing coming from outside the cave. At first, David had assumed it was Paul, but then saw that the blonde was still hanging from the ceiling sleeping. He furrowed his brow and walked to the outside of his home.

There, standing at the edge of the point, looking out over the ocean was Carmen. A pile of somebody’s things were at her feet and a bottle of some form of alcohol was in her left hand. From what he could see of her profile her face was morphed into one of anger and she was throwing things off the bluff.

“Mother fucking asshole!” she exclaimed as she kicked another item off the cliff.

“Want to talk about it?” David asked coolly. He watched her jump, and then look over her shoulder to see him.

“What are you doing here?” She asked her voice still crawling with anger as she turned back to look out at the scenery beyond the cliff.

“I should be asking you the same thing,” he told her, “Standing that close to the edge isn’t safe.” He walked over to stand beside her.

“I’m not thinking about jumping, if that’s what you’re playing at. I’m angry, not suicidal.” She snapped.

David shrugged, and then looked over at her, expectantly awaiting the answer to his question. “My father is trying to regain possession of the house.” She told him. David opened his mouth to respond, “And custody of Kimberly.”

“And these are his things?” he asked glancing down at the pile of stuff at their feet.

“Yup,” she remarked taking a sip of the beer bottle she had in her hand. David looked out over the edge and witnessed an array of different articles of clothing and knick knacks being washed into the ocean.

“The hippies aren’t going to be too happy about that,” David chuckled. Carmen rolled her eyes with a laugh.

“Hey!” David heard Marko call out. He and Carmen looked over their shoulders to him. “Where’s Kimberly?” he asked.

“Court house,” Carmen grumbled. “Last I checked, but that was two hours ago, she might be wandering the boardwalk now or something.”

“Why don’t you go find her, Marko,” David told his friend, his expression saying it wasn’t optional. It wasn’t like Marko wouldn’t have gone; he felt strongly for Kimberly and wanted to see her. He grinned and nodded, catching on to what David was planning. He went over to where the boys kept their bikes and pulled away from where they were.

“What are you planning?” Carmen asked suspiciously.

“Tonight,” David told her as he led her towards an area of the cave that was boarded up, fenced off, and bore caution signs that told people to keep out. “You and your sister are going to become one of us.” Carmen furrowed her brows.

“I don’t understand,” she voiced confusedly.
“All in due time,” he told her with a smirk as he helped her down into the cave.

Carmen looked around as he led her down the uneven steps and into where he and his friends lived. “Pretty neat, right?” Paul asked from a seat on a fountain that was farther in the back. He sat by a stack of records and a player for them, a joint perched in between his fingers.

“This was the hottest resort in Santa Carla about 80-something years ago. Too bad they built it on the fault. In 1906, when the big one hit San Francisco, the ground opened up, and this place took a header right into the crack.” He told her as they walked further into the area. “So now it’s ours.” David finished.

“You live here?” Carmen asked as she turned in a complete circle to get a good look at the place. There were empty candelabras attached to the walls, and a plethora of half melted candles were everywhere burning away at the wax slowly. Posters of different bands adorned the walls, and strands of knick knacks and such hung along the ceiling.

There was a couch, a few chairs, and a wheel chair to sit on, along with the fountain where Paul was getting high, and a bean bag that was sitting on a pile of books. Long caves that had once been hallways led off from the main room they were in. “You want a tour?” David asked her. Carmen nodded, curiosity getting the better of her.

He grinned, reaching for a lit torch. He took her hand in his and led her through the cave into one of the long cave hallways.