Status: I hope you like it.

The Boys, the Girls

Santa Carla, California - The Cave - 11:46PM

“We’re back,” Marko announced as Carmen and David came back to the main room. “I got Chinese,” he held up the take out boxes.

“Excellent,” David smirked, taking two boxes from Marko. He handed one to Carmen as he sat down in his wheel chair. He pulled her into his lap and studied her as she opened the box of rice. She fiddled with the chop sticks for a moment, before getting a good grip on them.

After they had been eating for a while, David asked, “How are those maggots, Carmen?”

She swallowed and then spoke, “I’m sorry?” she raised an eyebrow. He made a gesture to her rice box. She looked down at her food to see the creepy-crawlies David had mentioned were now crawling around in her take out.

She crinkled her nose, “I’m never eating Chinese again,” she muttered shoving the rice out of her sight. She glanced over at her sister who was now staring at her noodles with a crinkled nose.

“Ewwww…” she muttered quietly, hoping no one would hear her, as she shoved the box away from her.

“There a problem, Kimberly?” David asked the younger girl, feigning ignorance.

“No,” she muttered from her seat on the couch, folding her hands in her lap.

“Really, you sure?” he asked, “I thought I saw you looking a little disturbed.”

“Well,” Kimberly shrugged, “you thought wrong.”

Carmen could sense David’s irritation, at what, she didn’t know. She didn’t think she wanted to know, either.

“Marko,” she heard David demand, “my wine.” The curly haired boy nodded, standing from his spot on the couch where he had his arms wrapped around Carmen’s sister. He bounded happily over to a shelf from which he pulled a jewel encrusted wine bottle.

The boy that had caught her sister’s attention all but bounced back over to David and handed over the bottle. David took a swig and shivered before handing it to Carmen. “One drink of this and you’ll be one of us,” He told her with a grin that was borderline sinister.

Carmen studied the bottle for a moment before taking it into her hands. Soon the boys were all chanting her name. She cast a glance at David who smirked at her. He tucked a strand of her blonde waves behind her ear, before leaning towards her. “Join us, Carmen” he whispered in her ear, his hot breath causing goose bumps to spring up where it touched and a shiver to run down her spine. “No more worries,” he continued to whisper in her ear, “No more having to deal with your father and his whores, no more of your attention seeking mother...” he paused as her eyes met his, “all of them, gone.”

“Gone?” she whispered.

“With the wind,” he confirmed with a nod. Carmen took a deep breath before she brought the bottle to her lips and drank deeply from it. A sweet, metallic tasting liquid enveloped her tongue as it passed into her mouth and down her throat.

She barely heard the cheers from the boys because a haze over took her senses making everything kind of fuzzy. Slowly she brought the bottle away from her mouth, her small tongue sliding over her lips to make sure there weren’t any remnants of the drink on her lips. She only barely registered the bottle being taken from her hands. Fighting through the haze, she watched her sister go through nearly the same process she just had.

The boys pressured her by chanting her name; Marko whispered convincing words in her ear, his arms wrapped around her waist as she sat in his lap. Kimberly was soon taking a drink from the bottle, and in her gut Carmen felt a deep craving for more of the drink she had just taken a sip of. She felt David wrap an arm around her, pulling her into his chest. Carmen didn’t fight like she normally would. Instead, she let herself lean her head against his chest. Why? Because it felt nice; it felt right.

“Not yet, baby girl,” he whispered to her, “Not yet.”

Had the circumstances been different, meaning had her mind not been so fuzzy, it would have registered more that his heart beat was very faint, near non-existent. Yet, the circumstances were as it was, and tomorrow she would brush the thought off telling herself that was impossible. She heard music start to play, and David’s chest rumbled as he asked, “You wanna dance?”

Carmen felt herself shake her head in response. “Why not,” he prodded.

“Head feels funny,” she muttered.

“Come on,” he took her hands in his as she stood and led her out of the cave, “Maybe some fresh air will help.” She followed, ignoring her sister’s eyes on her.

She and David stepped out into the night just as a cool breeze blew past the entrance to the cave. Carmen shivered and crossed her arms across her chest. “Cold?” David asked.

She nodded, “A little.”

David shrugged out of his jacket. He took a few steps so he was standing behind her and placed his jacket around her. She looked over at him with a smile, “Thanks.” He nodded, throwing an arm around her.

“Wanna go for a ride?” David asked.

“Sure,” David took her hand and pulled her towards his bike.