Rest

Good Morning

The morning on the bus had begun like any other, groggy and loud. Mike, Tre, Adrienne, and even Joey and Jakob were already awake and bustling about the bus. Billie Joe groaned and prepared himself for another early morning, reluctant to leaving the warmth of his bed. He slumped over his upraised knees before rolling out of his bunk. His feet hit the ground with a thump, and he tumbled his way drowsily into the kitchen area.

He loved going on tour, but the late nights and early mornings were occasionally torture, especially if they had to drive for the whole entire night. He felt genuinely worn out this morning, and figured he was coming down with something, though he'd never tell the others this, due to his ‘dignity’ and ‘pride’.

"Morning," he mumbled, wearing his glasses rather than contacts, "What's for breakfast?"
"Grab whatever looks good," Adrienne smiled warmly, clothed in a silk robe and slippers. She patted his back gently as he rummaged through the cupboards.

Billie Joe chuckled, grabbing a box of cereal from the pantry. He poured his Lucky Charms into a plastic bowl and drenched it in cold milk. He then shuffled through everyone else in search of a spoon, before walking back to his bunk with his cereal. He didn't feel like eating with the family today, it was too loud and busy, and he felt that right now he needed some peace and quiet.

"Hello!" Adrienne said brightly, carrying some toast and orange juice, "What brings you in here?"

"I should be asking you the same thing," he replied, smiling.

"What's up with the bags under your eyes?" she asked, nibbling on her toast.

"I didn't sleep well last night," he said, taking a bite of the Lucky Charms.

Adrienne was a light sleeper and knew that he had slept soundly last night, but she knew better than to challenge him this early in the morning, when he was the most peevish.

"I'm fine," he reassured defensively. He wasn't very hungry, but didn't want Adrienne to suspect he wasn't feeling well, so continued cramming the cereal down his throat.

"Alright then, we have to be at the award ceremony in---," she paused to glimpse at her watch, "Two hours."

"Bleeeeeh," Billie Joe grumbled, stirring his cereal with his spoon, "Why do we have to go again?"
"Because we were nominated," Adrienne said matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, but it's not like this award ceremony is important. It's not the Grammy's, VMAs, or even the TCAs," he groaned.

"Yes, it's a small award ceremony for the magazine, but you should be honored to go either way. They're going to have cool performances. I heard some kids are going to play and sing for us. They are really looking forward to seeing us and the rest of the band," Adrienne reminded, trying to guilt Billie Joe into being more confident and excited about the whole thing.

"Oh, joy," he said sarcastically, "I'm just really tired. I don't want to go to some award ceremony."
"C'mon you might like it," Adrienne smiled, then put her plate and juice down before walking up closer to Billie Joe, "And if you're good, then we'll go out on the beach and relax a bit. You'd like that wouldn't you?" she smiled affectionately and kissed his head, her hair gently brushing his right cheek.

He smiled in an almost turned on way, "I love every second with you."

"Good, so go get showered and ready, because it usually takes you two hours just to do your hair," she teased.

"Does not!" he whined.

"Does to!" she laughed, and pushed him towards the bathroom.

He stuck his tongue out at her then walked down the narrow hall of the bus. Maybe if he was still feeling cruddy he'd go to the back and sleep on the giant couch.

After his shower he scrutinized himself in the mirror for a few minutes. His eyes were dark and puffy, and slowly his stuffy nose was becoming visible. He managed to conceal it before with Adrienne, but didn't know how much longer he could stifle the coughs and sneezes. He got dressed in his suit and shiny black dress shoes, and before he even got the chance to catch up on some sleep, they had already arrived at the center where the award ceremony would take place.

He then stood up from his chair and rushed out of the bus and over into the building with the others.
This couldn't possibly go over well.