Status: Currently active - Trying for a chapter per day!

Taking Strides

Trading Passes

A: Don't be getting in trouble by texting me at work!
S: You mean you can't help me out with my bosses?
A: Our bosses?
S: Yikes, that's right.
A: Don't you have work?
S: Don't you have a life?
A: Maybe I like yours better?
S: Because yours is so terrible. Hockey, hockey, hockey.
A: Hockey, injuries, hockey, no dates, hockey, living with Dougie, hockey
S: I can't exactly remedy those problems.
A: You could remedy one?
S: Ah, headed into work, you said no texting!

Adam's perspective:

He tossed his phone on the couch, slightly frustrated. While he understood that she was headed to a new job, he also wanted to see her again, even though he had just seen her last night, and a few nights before that. They had an away game in three days, and he would be flying out after the game against Columbus in two. He just, felt like his days would be better spent by getting in as much time with her. He laid his head back in frustration.

"You okay?" Dougie asked, slightly wide eyed concern on his face.
"Women..." Adam groaned.
"I thought you went out with her last night?" Dougie asked.
"How do you know it's the same one?" Adam asked, getting only a glare in response. "Okay, so it's the same one."
"Well what's she saying?" He asked.
"She had to give me a rain date for lunch, and now she can't text me since she's at work." Adam replied.
"So give her a rain date?" Dougie said, motioning towards the clouds.
"That's just crazy enough to work." He said. "Do you have that girl's number?"
"I thought you were just texting her..." Dougie said, confused.
"No, no, Cari's, the one Brad always makes eyes at." He said. He was pretty used to dealing with Dougie being sometimes oblivious, but it was nice not having the place to himself. They were better on the ice too, since they were around each other so much.

Sarah's perspective:

She walked into the lobby, greeting the people standing around, turning her head and looking for Cari. Ending up sitting in Cari's chair, waiting for her to get there, she sent her last text to Adam and then tucked her phone away.

"Good morning!" Cari said, walking towards her desk, coffee in hand.
"Morning indeed, have they found the key to my office yet?" Sarah asked, quickly getting out of Cari's chair, and out of her way.
"Yep, and there's a conference in an hour so some of the other workers can meet you." She said, before passing over a key on a Lanyard to Sarah.
"Alright then, down this hallway to my office, right?" Sarah asked, motioning towards one hallway.
"Mhm, and I was hoping you'd be up for lunch?" Cari said, settling into her chair.
"I was actually going to see this apartment nearby. I don't think I'll have time for lunch." Sarah replied.
"Let me come with you!" Cari said, excitedly.
"What? You don't have to do that." Sarah started.
"No, no. I insist, besides, apartment hunting is lots of fun." She said.
"I certainly hope so.." Sarah sighed. She was worried she wouldn't find anything she liked, but at least the budget she had to work with seemed like it would give her some leeway. Cari's phone rang and she turned around to answer it, so Sarah headed towards her office and began her morning. At least she remembered where some of the things were, that was certainly a bonus. She wasn't sure how much she would have remember, considering how much of her brain ended up being filled with Adam. Adam this, Adam that, Adam what?

Sarah hardly noticed when lunch time rolled around, had it not been for Cari's knocking on her open office door, purse and coat in hand. It was just what she needed to remember what they had planned, and for the two of them to rush out the door. Cari even managed to sneak in a longer lunch break, since management understood that they really needed to find Sarah a place to live, and that she would be pretty busy and not have much time otherwise. They ended up visiting two locations, both two bedroom and one bath, but one with a modern feel, and one in a more Historic building, which suited Sarah more. She ended up signing the lease then and there, and would be set to move in over the weekend. And, all of the hype was enough for her to get through the rest of her day on a more blissful high. When they walked out of the building together at five, she found it hard to believe that it was already time to go.

"Um, Sarah, look over there." Cari whispered, nudging Sarah in the side and motioning towards the left slightly.
"What is he doing here? Did you set this up again?" She said, at first slightly under her breath, then raising her voice slightly. She didn't quite understand what was going on, but neither did Cari. They were both at a loss, and stood there trying to figure out, not noticing that the guy was walking over to them. He coughed slightly, getting their attention.
"Am I interrupting?" He asked.

'Oh, you can interrupt all you'd like.' Sarah thought to herself. She didn't get the chance to say anything before Cari jumped in and excused herself, mumbling something about having dinner plans.

"What are you doing here?" She asked inquisitively.
"You said I could have a rain date." Adam said with a slight smirk.
"..So you picked now?" Sarah said.
"Well, if you didn't notice, it is starting to rain." He said, chuckling.
"Clever, Sir McQuaid." She replied.
"I try my best." He remarked, before pulling out an umbrella and holding it over her head. "Shall we?"
"We shall."