Status: Currently active - Trying for a chapter per day!

Taking Strides

Rookie Mistake(s)

Sarah's perspective:

'It's done.' She thought, 'I'm officially part of the Boston Bruins.' Sarah meekly shook hands with the men, and followed them out of the room. She wouldn't officially start work until Monday, so she had the weekend to apartment hunt, and let the realization of her new job sink in.

Suddenly, the men stopped. "Adam, Adam McQuaid?" Don spoke up, puzzled. "What are you doing up here?" Sarah stopped, and looked to who they were referring to.

Adam's perspective:

'Crap. Didn't think this through. Nope, didn't think this through at all.' He thought to himself. 'What am I going to say... I can't just say nothing... Wait, can I?' He shifted in his stance, unsure of what to say.

"I was told I had to pick up some paperwork?" He mumbled. "Or something like that, I kind of forgot the other day, and remembered before practice."
The three men looked at each other, all confused. "I don't think anyone left paperwork here for you, there's no reason to." PC stated. "I mean, we don't have to talk contracts for a few more seasons."
Adam nervously laughed. "I guess that's true, sorry for wasting your time."

He looked up and noticed the girl behind the three men. 'Isn't she the one who ran into me?'

"Hmm, well as long as you're here..." Don started, "Do you think that you could give our newest staff member a tour of the building?" He motioned for Sarah to come forward. "This is Sarah Bayard, and I'd imagine knowing her way around the building would come in handy."
Sarah shrugged. "I don't need to get lost trying to make my way back here on Monday, I mean I almost bowled over Milan Lucic this morning." She laughed a little at the thought of what she had done.
"You almost bowled over me too." Adam hastily replied. Her eyes widened.
"That was you?" Her voice got higher, embarrassed that she didn't notice who it was, and even more embarrassed that he was here.

'She's cute when she gets nervous. Wait. I shouldn't be thinking of her as cute, I don't even know her.' He mentally slapped himself. 'I mean, wasn't I just complaining at Marchy for doing the same thing. What's wrong with me?'

"As long as you promise try not to almost knock me over again, I suppose I can give you a tour." He looked her in the eyes, giving her a warm smile. She seemed to relax a little. The men started off towards their offices, content with the arrangement.

Sarah's perspective:

"Well, I guess you're stuck with me." She nervously said, and put locked her arm in his. "Where to first, oh tour guide of mine?" It was hard to believe that she was actually getting a tour from a Bruin. First running into one, and almost two, then becoming a member of an organization, and now a tour. What else could possibly happen?

The two of them walked down the stairwell, quiet beyond the noises of their footsteps together. 'Doesn't he talk at all? Am I making him uncomfortable or something?' She thought to herself, trying to fill the silence with her thoughts.

"I'm sorry I almost ran into you this morning." She started. "I guess I was so nervous to get to my interview, that I was ignoring where I was going." Her head turned downwards, not wanting to make eye contact.
"I take hits and dish out hits pretty much on a daily basis, I think I could have handled getting cross-checked by you." He said in a joking manner.
"That's true." She paused. "I guess I'm not very dangerous regardless."

'Not nearly as dangerous as you, or those eyes..' She tried to take a deep breath, and not get herself so worked up. So she had a guy she'd been admiring for years right next to her. So what?

"I'm sure you're plenty dangerous. Milan's probably going to have a bruise from how hard you hit him." He laughed. "Don't count yourself out so fast."
"Mm, I guess so." She stumbled with her words. "So um, what's it, I mean, how's being part of this organization? What's the city like?"
He stopped a second and looked at her. "You're not from around here?"
"Well no, I've never been to Boston before. My flight just landed this morning and I hadn't gotten a chance to go anywhere." She stopped herself before she rambled on more.
"That's lousy." He seemed to growl out the words, as if angry over something he had no control over.
"I guess I'll have plenty of time to explore the city, I can't stay in my hotel room the whole time." Sarah's voice seemed to trip over the words, unsure if she was going to anger him further.
"Maybe once I've shown you the building, I could take you out to dinner?" He looked at her.

'Did he just..? Is he serious? I mean he doesn't even know me, why would he want anything to do with me.' Sarah gazed up at him, his eyes seemed so gentle, caring. Could she really say no?

"Only if you promise to find me the best Italian food in this city." She remarked.
"I think I know just the place." He grinned. She couldn't help but feel weak in the knees. That smile is going to take some getting used to.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to everyone who's read this so far, I'm really excited about writing my first story. (There's not nearly enough out there for Adam. c: )