Status: Currently active - Trying for a chapter per day!

Taking Strides

The Way of the Game

Adam's perspective:

'You should have gone after her! You're such an idiot, I mean even ignoring what she said, she doesn't know her way around the city and you just let her storm out.' Adam started yelling at himself in his head on the drive home. By the time he had recovered from the shock, and managed to pay for everything, he'd missed her completely. He could only hope that she had managed to take a taxi back, but he couldn't help but beat himself up over the events of the evening. Even worse, he knew that the second he stepped in the door of his apartment that Dougie was going to be all over him.

He grudgingly pulled in the parking lot outside of the building, and made his way up. Even though he was incredibly tempted to go and drown his sorrows, with a game tomorrow, he needed to just go home and try and think everything through.

He opened the door and stepped into the apartment. Dougie and Brad looked over at him from the couch, surprised. "Aren't you home a little bit early? I mean it's only 7:30. Get stood up or something?" Brad piped up before Adam could stop him.
"Well at least he could get a date, unlike you, who showed up uninvited to mooch my food." Dougie remarked.
"Hey, don't act like you're not enjoying my company!" Brad's tone perked up a little, acting insulted.
Adam just glared at them both and walked off towards his room.
"He didn't mean anything dude, come on!" Dougie pleaded. Nothing that either of those two could do, could honestly make Adam want to talk about what happened. He knew what he needed. A long run down the Charles, and maybe beating up a Maple Leaf tomorrow night. After all, Thorty couldn't be the only one that got to beat up Colton Orr, right?

-- Monday morning --

Sarah's perspective:

Sarah spent the weekend trying not to think about Friday. While it had positive aspects in her new job, and the new city she could live in, she didn't want to think about how she treated Adam. He was much nicer to her than she could have ever expected, but it was all so much, from someone who she didn't know beyond on the ice, and who didn't know her beyond what she had said. How could he think so highly of her already? Normally people had the first impression that was... quite opposite. No one really cared for the quiet girl, especially when they realized they couldn't push her around. Most people kept her around for the beginning of her life, because they could, and in such she developed a tolerance against it. The people in Boston though hadn't been anything but welcoming and friendly, even her new Realtor, who thankfully managed to find her a great apartment a couple blocks from the Garden, which actually cost far less money that she thought.

'Hopefully everything will go well. I mean, they wouldn't have given the job if they didn't like me, right?' She thought to herself as she got dressed, subtly working in her Bruins earrings and bracelet. 'Am I trying to hard with it? I mean I could just forgo them. At least they're silver so they might not notice them at first. Guys don't pay attention to jewelry, right?'

She slipped on her purse before putting on her jacket, then double checked the room to make sure everything was in place. While housekeeping was likely to have seen rooms far worse than hers, Sarah tended to keep things rather tidy regardless of where she was. Hopefully in a few days time she'd be settling into a new apartment... and furnishing it, which was bound to be an adventure in itself.

The walk to the Garden wasn't too far from her hotel, but it was enough to get to see the city as it awoke, the morning sun just beginning to rise, and coffee shops eagerly brewing their endless supply. Luckily her hotel supplied coffee, by the looks of the lines inside the stores she passed, she would have likely been late if she stopped.

"Ah, there she is!" The receptionist from before smiled at her as she entered the offices. "I don't think I ever introduced myself. My name is Carilyn, but you can call me Cari." She smiled warmly.
"It's nice to meet you, I'm glad to see I'm not the only woman working here." Sarah replied, returning the smile. It was a bit surprising to see someone so alert at eight in the morning, but she wasn't minding it. She appreciated the enthusiasm much more than if she had received a glare instead.
"Don and Peter are just finishing up their morning coffee down the street, they asked me to show you towards your office, but then I believe they wanted to steal you." Cari started. "It's right down this hall, if you'll follow me."
"Alright, thank you." She replied. "How long have you been working here?"
"I started working here last year as an intern, but they ended up hiring me full time after the first semester. Something about being bubbly and just the right personality for people to see when they enter the offices."
"What's it like?" Sarah mindlessly said, mind a blur with everything she was walking by. The history of the Bruins seemed to be on every wall, from their draft picks to cup wins. It was staggering to see like this.
"Working for the Bruins, you mean?" Cari understood what Sarah was going through, and tried to make some sense of everything. Sarah nodded her head and she continued. "It's pretty amazing. I originally wasn't much of a hockey fan, I'm about to get a degree in Communications, and my professor suggested I try an internship. This happened to be the one that fit. As I really got to know the people that work here, I started to fall in love with the place, and eventually the sport."

'I can imagine... This place really is huge though, I don't know how I'm going to keep everything straight." Sarah thought to herself as the two turned a corner.

"So, this is going to be your office. Or well, once the guys manage to find the key?" Cari paused, reading the note from the door. She picked it up, scanning it, before grabbing something from the mail slot on the door. "Alright, so they're apparently bringing me in on this scheme. Blindfold time!"
"Wait, What?" Sarah tried to understand what was going on.
"You've got a surprise, and I'm not supposed to explain it to you, or show you." Cari said.
"Well, if I have to trust someone, I should be happy that it's you." Sarah gave up and allowed the spunky redhead to pin back her hair and blindfold her.

'Well, this should be interesting.'
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, the ideas I have for her surprise~
No one could honestly have a normal first day at work, that's what first days are for, to be weird and unexpected!

Updating the character page - Sorry, I know I've not been super descriptive of the girls I've introduced, I'll have to work on that more. //cue author facepalm.