Status: Currently active - Trying for a chapter per day!

Taking Strides

Five Hole

Sarah's perspective:

"Well that was quite the adventure!" Cari said as the two girls finally relaxed in their seats. Their adventure to find drinks and some food ended up with them finding way too many Bruins fans all too eager for their booze. Some of the guys stopped them and asked about Sarah's jersey, to which they answered that it was a special gift from the team. They swore it off as trade secrets and wouldn't tell anything further to the guys, who understood and told them both how nice it was. "You know, the guys didn't get me anything like that when I joined up." She said.
"Really? Then why'd they do that for me.." Sarah asked, slightly confused. The whole situation seemed a bit odd, but she thought that maybe it was just something that they did for every new member, although, that would end up being a lot of jerseys.
"Something about a baby cub not keeping his mouth shut." Cari said before taking a sip of her soda.
"Baby cub? What are you talking about?" Sarah asked as she brushed her roaming bangs out of her forehead and away from her eyes.
"Is this going to be a paint by numbers with you?" She remarked. "Because if I have to explain the whole game to you then we're going to see a lot less of it."
"No, no, I've been following the Bruins for years, I'm more like one of those fans who knows way too much about the game, as opposed to someone who knows nothing about it." Sarah replied quickly. "It's just that I don't remember anyone having the nickname baby cub, or baby bear."
"You know how Chara is called Papa Bear?" Cari asked, waiting for Sarah's nod of response, which was a yes. "Well since Dougie was the main rookie last year, they called him that. It doesn't help that he's also the youngest player, otherwise they might have called Krug that too."
"I guess that makes sense, but you don't mean to tell me that this was all because of Adam, do you?" Sarah replied.
"No, the boy completely hates your guts. It's just so obvious by that fierce glare he gives you, and the way he almost fed you to the security wolves." She replied sarcastically.
"So he really was that serious at dinner..." Sarah slightly under her breath.
"YOU WENT TO DINNER WITH HIM?" Cari shrieked, causing some glares from the people nearby.
"Could you guys, like, shut your little traps?" came a response from a few rows behind them. They looked back and saw what could only be described as a Picasso painting come to life, and burst out laughing before turning back around.

It was a good thing they did, because soon after the lights started blaring, and the announcer game on, bringing the teams out onto the ice for the game. Once the guys finished their beginning skate, and hit the bench in order to let the opening lines out for the anthems, they realized that they had the distinct pleasure of sitting next to the Bruins defensemen for this period, which could only bound to be good.

Adam's perspective:

He continued to try and shake her out of his head once they went back to the room. The rest of the coaches came up and talked this time around, reiterating what they had heard before warm-ups. This was bound to be a good game for them, and even though it was so early in the season, they could use the points. With the new addition of the Detroit Red Wings to the Eastern Conference, and the realignment of the divisions, they really hoped to establish more of a solid lead in their division, and keep it that way. Either way, points were never a bad thing.

Now that he knew where the girls were sitting, he knew he'd struggle even more with the temptation of looking over, just to see the expression on her face. Every movement she made, every expression across her face, he just found more and more beautiful. She was stunning to him, but didn't make it seem like she was trying to be. She was just, existing, and doing a wonderful job of it. It was fairly unlike him to act like this, and he had to get his head into the game. Couldn't let himself be showed up, now could he?

A few times he found himself right against the glass, inches from Sarah, but luckily he had enough willpower to lose himself in her existence further, and it showed. He had an assist on the first goal of the game, coming about 6 minutes in. One of Bergeron's fantastic movements, being in the right place at the right time, just to accept the pass coming off his stick., The Garden boomed after that, and the Lightning surged, almost scoring near the end of the period, only to for him to get his stick far enough out to deflect a shot that was nearing an opening to the side of Tuukka, letting the score stand with just Bergeron's goal to end the period. The second showed a Johnny rocket from the blueline, getting Boychuck an unassisted goal, and giving them a solid two goal lead that got them slightly too confident. After all, it was only 3 minutes into the period, there was still plenty of hockey to go, and after Chara managed to take a tripping penalty halfway through, that lead found itself cut in half. Both teams were riled up after that, and managed to keep each other stoic, and the teams went back to the room before the third, preparing to muster up everything they had left to win this game. For the third, the defensive pairs got mixed a little. Dougie had been slightly off, and they worked with five defensemen instead of a full six. It was better to let him be, then possibly tweak his shoulder, which had been bothering him after a solid check during the second. Adam filled in roles with both Johnny and Bartkowski, filtering in when they needed him, delivering solid checks and keeping everyone in line. The team finished the game with Marchand scoring an empty netter, leaving a solid 3 to 1 score on the board, and a whole mess of excited Bruins fans.

Every time Adam had glanced at Cari and Sarah, he saw the pure excitement and happiness on their face. The atmosphere really got to everyone, and it didn't help that they were both rather big fans themselves. He managed to lock eyes with Sarah after the final horn, smiling back at her through the inches of glass. Before he headed off, he looked at Cari, slightly past Sarah, and she flashed him a thumbs-up sign, understanding what he wanting without him even having to ask. He hurried down the tunnel, hoping to skip the media and be ready for when they would be able to come down to the room.

A half hour later came a swarm of ladies, and a few tots, with the WAGs box emptied, and redistributed down in the locker room. Marchand and Dougie came over to Adam, as the three single guys, they preferred to stick together when it came down to it. Adam however, was slightly too excited this time around, and they picked up on it right as the girls walked in.

"Aw, Cari, you came to see me after the game, how sweet." Brad began, headed over to Cari with his arms wide open.
"Didn't you see the jersey?" She said, turning around and flashing the giant "Boychuck" on the back of her jersey. She got a laugh from Sheena, Johnny's wife, as she walked in. They were both really good-humored people, who really meshed together, and luckily, Sheena understood Cari's actions, even if Cari herself didn't. They both were secretly betting on when Brad and Cari would end up together, with Johnny better for before the end of the season, and Sheena having before Christmas. They had seen the friction between the two, and seen Marchand's eyes perk up whenever she was even briefly mentioned in conversation, so they knew it was only bound to happen. The guys avoided mentioning it around Brad though, last time they did he worked on avoiding her for a solid month, a real effort for him, and they knew that they were better of letting it be, and letting him think that everyone was completely oblivious.
"Hey, that actually looks better on you!" He said with a smirk. "At least you're not wearing green."
"I know, Tyler forgot it when they were here last week, and believe me he's not seen the end of it!" Cari said, pointing her finger for emphasis. She had a brotherly relationship with Tyler, something most people would find unheard of from him, but it really worked with the two of them. Tyler was apart of the betting when he was still around, but he was deadset on them drunkenly hooking up and then turning it into something. He knew his friend, but without him, Brad was actually going out less, which was a rather unexpected change.

Sarah came up next to Adam slowly, slightly apprehensive. She crossed her arms and leaned up against the wall, waiting for him to notice she was there. It took him a second, but then he ended up leaned up against the same wall, hands in his jeans, neither one of them saying anything for a few minutes. Adam pulled out his phone and typed something up, handing it over to her, hoping silently in his head.

Sarah's perspective:

Phone: Please, can we try dinner again?

She looked over at him and he let out a slight smile, as if to say: I'm sorry, I don't know any better way to do this. While she couldn't quite place why she was saying what she said, she took the leap anyway, typing her response and handing his phone back, before moving back to Cari and saying her goodbye for the night and walking out the locker room. She got a few raised eyebrows, but just kept walking.

Adam's perspective:

Phone: Outside in the Parking Lot, but I'm not going to know which carriage I'm getting into, so you might want to not leave me out here long, good sir.

Those words made him want to run right out the door, but he hesitated, gathering together his stuff together like nothing was up, before walking over to Milan and asking him to give Dougie a ride home. Milan didn't ask questions, and Adam was out the door only a few minutes behind her, hoping that she hadn't have left that fast. He walked down the first hallway normally, before picking up speed the rest of the way. He pushed open the door to the Parking Lot, and looked around.

"I was really really hoping you weren't going to make me have to find a cab back to my hotel." were the words that he heard from behind him. He turned around, seeing her right beside the door. "Lead the way." she said, slipping on her coat over her jersey.