Awakened

10

"I can't believe this," Harper said, beginning to tear up. "I don't know what to say!"

"Say yes, and make me the happiest man on Earth," Aaron said, smiling at the girl who had stolen his heart. "I know it's very soon, and that we've only been dating for a year or so, but I have never been more sure of anything in my entire life than I am currently."

"Aaron," Harper started, covering her mouth with her hand and smiling. "Yes."

Harper was barely able to get the word out completely before Aaron jumped up and hugged her. He spun her around in his arms in a complete embrace. They laughed together, and enjoyed the moment.

"Lets get home, dear," Aaron said, helping Harper off the stage and towards the door. They walked through the busy city on their way to Harper's apartment, and couldn't be any happier than they were in that moment.

---

Harper woke the next morning and headed to her LSAT, nervous about how the test would go. As she was gone, Aaron decided to work on cleaning the apartment a bit. He decided to surprise Harper with a small party when she arrived home, to celebrate her completing the test and their engagement. Aaron had told few people about what he had planned to do, and still had regretting the phone call he had made earlier the morning before to Harper's father.

---

"What do you want, Broadway Boy?" Bill asked, with an air of anger and a mocking tone about him.

"I was just calling to ask, in compliance with social norms, if I can have Harper's hand in marriage. I want to propose to her," Aaron said, sighing after completing his sentence.

"Why in the hell would I do that?" Bill was continuing to get more elevated in tone, and Aaron knew this was a mistake.

"Look, I love your daughter and I want to give her a happy life. I want everything I have to be hers, and I want to give her the world," Aaron said, beginning to get frustrated with Bill.

"Well why do I even care if you marry the whore?" Bill said, laughing to himself.

"Bill, I don't know why you think of your daughter so poorly, but I just want to remind you that you are her father and she deserves some semblance of respect from you. I know it's been hard on you and Harper since Harper's mother died, and I know that pain runs deep but that's no excuse for calling your flesh and blood such disgusting terms. Your daughter has changed my life, and I will be marrying her with or without your permission. For some reason I thought that if I included you in this that you and Harper could have any kind of relationship. I don't care if you like me, hate me for all I care. I just want the best for your daughter, and even if I'm not the best in the world I will give your daughter everything."

He heard a click, and slammed his phone on the countertop. He had hung up.

---

Aaron heard the door knob turn, and he quickly put on a party hat and a confetti popper he had bought at the store. The banner behind him read "Congratulations," but his face read so much more. Harper walked in, looking defeated and upset from the test. Aaron popped the confetti popper and Harper came forward and hugged him.

"You have no idea how much I need this, Aaron," she said as he put a party hat on her as well.

"We have a lot to celebrate, my dear," he said, smiling at the young woman looking up at him.

"I have something I need to tell you," Harper said, smiling."

"What's that?"

"I applied to Cornell Law... I'll be hearing back from them in a few weeks once they recieve my LSAT scores and honestly, honey, I'm feeling very confident," Harper said, smiling.

"Hey, now that's not too far! Lets go get my computer, we can look for some houses in the area," Aaron said, excited.

Harper smiled as she saw him running back to her room and coming back with his MacBook. He began pulling up real estate websites, eager to begin this next chapter with the woman he loves.

"Harp, we haven't told my parents yet... you know, that we're engaged," Aaron said, beginning a search for homes in Ithaca.

"When would you like to tell them, dear?" Harper said, sitting on the countertop beside where Aaron placed his laptop and began scrolling.

"Maybe when we go check out some of these homes we can go see them? Maybe stay with them for a little while?" Aaron said.

"I think that would be lovely," Harper said, smiling and swinging her legs.

"What kind of home do we want? I imagine this will be our first home as a married couple too, so I want to do this right. I saved a lot of money--"

"Aaron, you just bought a ring, what kind of money have you been saving? Are you sitting on pots of gold?" Harper said, joking.

"Well... I've got some secrets up my sleeves, yes," Aaron said laughing back.

"Please just tell me drugs are not involved," Harper said, leaning against the cabinets.

"Don't worry, I've got men doing the dirty work for me," Aaron joked, then making a surprised face at one of the houses that appeared on his screen.

He showed the home to Harper, and her jaw dropped.

"That's the one."

"I'll make a call and we'll go check it out soon. I'll call my parents too and see if they're up for a visit." Aaron said, grabbing his laptop and phone and heading to the living room to make some calls to realtors. Harper smiled to herself, excited for the adventure she was about to embark on with Aaron and the memories they were going to make as an engaged couple.