Awakened

12

Later that evening after the house was cleaned, Harper and Aaron were getting ready for the impromtu at-home fancy dinner for his mother. Harper slipped her dress on while Aaron was buttoning his shirt. She turned and motioned for him to zip her dress, and he did so slowly while taking in the sight of his fiancee in the gorgeous maroon floor-length gown. It was so simple, but the woman wearing it made it look that much better.

"I'm sorry." Aaron said, after finishing zipping her dress. He began to work on his tie.

"For what?" Harper asked.

"For taking your ring off earlier."

"I understand, Aaron," she said, fixing her make-up in the mirror.

"No, I'm sorry, Harp. I just knew that wasn't the time for my mother to find out. She needed to process some of her emotion. This house means a lot to her. It has been passed through our family, and she sees it as an honor to live here. This did a lot to her, and I shouldn't have done something so impulsively without telling you first."

"Aaron, I understand. Really, it's fine," Harper said, sliding her shoes on. Aaron could tell she was hiding something, and she knew he did.

"What's wrong," Aaron said. It was less of a question and more of a statement.

"I got a call yesterday from my father," Harper said, gently putting on her strand of pearls. Aaron sighed.

"I can explain," Aaron said, walking over to help Harper put her jewlery on.

"You don't have to. He was calling me to tell me that I don't deserve you and that I needed to say no when you asked me to marry him. I was wondering how he found out and he said you called him," Harper said, looking at Aaron through the mirror.

"I asked for your hand and nothing more. I did tell him that I was not fond of how he treated you," Aaron said, rubbing Harper's back.

"Aaron, it's fine. I'm just trying to process it, that's all," she said, feigning a smile and elegantly putting her hair in maiden braids and securing them. "Lets head over and get the table set, your mom should be done with dinner soon," Harper said, leading towards the door. Aaron grabbed her hand, turning her towards him.

"First, let me just do this," Aaron said, replacing the ring on her ring finger and kissing her before walking out of the door. He grabbed her hand. "You look beautiful."

---

The table was set and the food was placed on the table. Aaron watched the magestic nature of the floor legnth gown on his soon-to-be wife. He was entranced by her elegance, and he felt his love consume him.

"She's something else, son," his father said, walking over to the freshly set table. Harper helped Aaron's mother bring the food out, and everyone found their seats. Harper sat down beside Aaron, and they began the grace.

"I'd like to say grace tonight," Aaron said, looking towards his father. His father nodded, and everyone bowed their heads.

Thank you, Lord for your continued guidance for our family. Thank you for this food that will nourish our bodies, and thank you for bringing together this family. Not only have you given us physical nourishment through the form of food, but you have given us spiritual and emotional nourishment by bringing our hearts together. As we enjoy our meal tonight, we pray for nourishment of others who are impoverished. Amen.

Harper looked over at Aaron, and he smiled towards her. She felt her heart swell. She was not angry with what Aaron did, but was rather upset at his reluctancy to tell her that he had contacted her father. She knew he meant well, but knowing her father she would have advised him to cut his losses and give her the damn ring.

"I'd like to make a toast," Aaron said, pouring champagne in everyone's glasses. Harper looked quizzically up towards him. Everyone grabbed their newly poured glasses, and their attention turned towards Aaron.

"I'd like to start by announcing that I am so proud of Harper. This morning she recieved her acceptance letter to Cornell Law School, and I am so excited to stand by her side as she follows her dreams. Harper, I love you so much, and I am so thankful for everything you have done for me over the past year. This year has been full of blessings, and I look forward to many more blessings as we opt to spend the rest of our lives together." Aaron said, smiling at his fiancee. "Cheers to the newest member of the Tveit family, my fiancee, Harper."

Aaron's mother was ecstatic, she ran over to hug her future daughter-in-law and see her ring, while the Tveit men shook Aaron's hand.

"I am truly blessed. This is what a family is. This is what love is," Harper said, tearing up and hugging her soon to be mother-in law, and holding hands with the man that changed her life for the better.