Awakened

6

Aaron had never seen Harper so drained of energy. She welcomed her father, Bill, and her step-mother, Clara, into the apartment. Harper immediately turned, linking her arm with Aaron's.

"Dad, Clara, I'd like you to meet Aaron," she said, only smiling when she said Aaron's name. It was as if just his name relaxed her and brought her back down to Earth.

Clara was more welcoming than Bill was of the new man in Harper's life. Clara hugged Aaron and was eager to get to know him, while Bill merely shook his hand and followed Clara to the sitting area.

"I'm going to finish up dinner, excuse me," Harper said in her typical lady-like fashion. That was something Aaron admired of her. She was always so proper.

Clara and Bill immediately began to question Aaron.

"So Aaron, what do you do? Are you on Wall Street or a businessman, or what?" Bill asked.

"Well actually I'm a performer, on Broadway," Aaron said, smiling while thinking of his love for his job.

"Does that pay much?" Bill asked, enthused at Aaron's answer. Aaron was taken aback by this question. Of course he gets paid a good sum, but not as much as a businessman.

"Hey, Aaron, could I get some help with dinner?" Harper said, obvious hurt in her voice. Aaron jumped up to assist her, more worried about her feelings than the feelings of her father.

"Is everything okay?" he asked Harper in a hushed tone.

"I'm so sorry he's asking these questions of you..." She said, on the verge of tears. Aaron hugged her and began to shush the bundle of perfection in his arms.

"It's okay. This isn't the first time," Aaron said, smiling at her. He grabbed the plate of warm breadsticks and carried them to the dining table. Behind him, Harper carried the large bowl of spaghetti using oven mitts to block her hands from the heat. She placed it on the table and took the oven mitts off, placing them on the counter of the kitchen. She prepared water for all of the guests and placed a cup at each spot.

"Dinner is ready, if you would like to come get some while it's hot," Harper said, claiming her seat beside Aaron.

Bill and Clara sat down directly across the table from Harper and Aaron, and Harper led the table in the grace.

"Thank you Lord for the gathering of this family. Thank you for providing us with such substantial food and for filling our lives with such joy. Thank you for Aaron's company. As we eat our dinner, we pray for the nourishment of others where food is sparse. In your name we pray. Amen."

Everyone began to serve themselves and Harper took a small sip of her water. Aaron placed his hand on her knee to encourage her.

"So when is all this peace on hearth, hippie bullshit gonna end?" Bill asked, beginning to slurp his spaghetti.

"Excuse me?" Harper questioned.

"I mean you're praying to our Lord thanking him for our food, and you speak on behalf of everyone saying we are praying for others' nourishment?" He said, growing angrier.

"I always pray for others, you can't be thankful for something if you don't recognize that there may be many without it," Harper said, her body tensing under the table. Aaron could tell, and so could Clara.

"That was a beautiful grace," said Clara, smiling at Harper. Harper was crumbling with each blink of her father's eyes while he stared at her. She mouthed thank you to Clara, but could not get any words out.

"I have a question for you, Bill," Aaron said, beginning to tense up as well. Harper got nervous, as Aaron was still unpredictable to her.

"Shoot," Bill said, egging Aaron on.

"I don't understand the relationship between you and Harper. Honestly I believe that you're being absolutely revolting, and you're making Harper upset. Do you mind holding off on any negative comments towards your daughter for the night and spare her feelings? I watched her clean this entire apartment multiple times to make sure it was up to par for your standards, and she really does care about this dinner," Aaron said, in a very reasonable tone.

"I didn't know I was meeting Harper's voice tonight. Harper, are you always gonna let Broadway Boy stand up for you? I always knew you were unable to live here in New York. You're here for three years and you slut around and find a boy. Are you working in a strip club? Was he one of your customers, Harper? A customer that got out of hand?"

"Stop!" Harper screamed, tears in a steady stream down her face.

"Ah, that's very adult-like of you, Harper," Bill said, continuing his attack.

"Aaron isn't my voice, Dad, he just cares enough for me to speak up. I've been doing just fine in New York! I've loved my time here. Did you know I was in a coma for a while? Probably not. I met Aaron after looking for him for two years because he was the only visitor I had and he left before I could get his name. I didn't even get to see his face! All I heard was him singing to me, and then he left. He was the only person who cared enough about me to sit in a chair beside my bed and he had no idea who I was!"

"So you stalked him. Well Aaron I wish you the best of luck with my daughter, cause Heaven knows you need it. You're stuck with her now, kid - " Bill began. Aaron jumped up from his seat and reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring.

"Do you want me to propose to her right here? Hell, I'll marry your daughter! She's the best thing that's happened to me. I've carried this ring with me since I met her a few months ago. I love your daughter, Bill," Aaron said, slamming the ring on the table between his plate and Harper's.

"Please leave my home," Harper said under her breath. She got up and ran to her room and Aaron escorted Bill out. He stopped Clara, who looked very upset. He hugged Clara and apologized for all of the fuss.

"I'm sorry Bill acted that way, Aaron. I like you quite a bit. I wouldn't mind if you married Harper Lee. I do stress that it is early, but I also stress that you do what is best for each of you. Ever since her mom died, Bill has been giving Harper the verbal abuse he used against her mother," Clara said, walking out of the door and bidding Aaron a good night.

Aaron couldn't believe it. Harper's mother had died. Imagining what kind of woman that could offset the monster Bill was, Aaron unbuttoned his top buttons of his shirt and rubbed both hands on his face, sighing. He walked back to Harper's room, his right hand placed on the back of his head, somewhat scratching his neck.

When he opened the door, the only light in the room was provided by the bright lights of the city. Aaron walked in, tripping over Harper's shoes that were obviously slipped off as she ran into her room. He moved them over and took off his dress shoes, placing them side by side by the door. He could hear small sobs coming from where the window was and he looked over at the outline of the girl sitting on the seat placed below the window.

She was pure elegance, each tear made its way down her perfectly sculpted face - as if she were a statue in a storm. Aaron made his way over to her, looking at her taking in the views of the city. Aaron sat on the other side of the cushion where there was enough space and placed his hand on her lower leg.

She looked up, like she had just recognized his presence. She flung herself in his direction, hugging him and letting the tears flow. He pulled her onto his lap, placing his head on top of hers. It hurt him to see her so upset. Aaron took his hand and gently wiped the tears off Harper's face turning her face up towards his. His eyes locked on hers, the tears still streaming from her eyes making them glassy. He continued to wipe the tears from her rosy cheeks as he stared into her eyes. He wrapped both of his arms around her, hoping that he could protect her from anything that forced that much pain upon her. He kissed the top of her head.

"I want you to come with me to see my parents tomorrow," Aaron said, wanting so desperately for her to feel loved. He could feel her nod into his chest.

"Did you really mean what you said?" Harper asked, her voice masked by tears and by the hurt placed there by her father.

"Every word," Aaron said, pulling the ring out of his pocked and holding it in his hand, "Every word."

She smiled, and took his hand in hers and closed his hand around the ring. She reached up and put her hand on the back of his neck. Aaron leaned down and kissed Harper. He looked into her eyes.

"I love you Harper. I want you to be a part of my life for a long time. Ever since I saw you for the first time, I knew that I was meant to be with you. You are the only person I feel I could be with and be the best person I could be," Aaron said turning to look at the city, "You'd think that in a city this big, and so dazzling, I wouldn't have waited to find you, or waited for a text. I waited for two years. You mean the world to me, and I couldn't imagine living life without you."

Harper continued to cry, but this time because of overwhelming happiness. They both changed into pajamas and curled up in Harper's bed.

Throughout the night Aaron placed small kisses atop of her head.