Awakened

7

Harper began to get ready after waking up the next morning. Aaron was still in bed, so she decided to let him sleep because she knew he had a long night. She took a quick shower, wrapped herself in a towel and went back to her room to find an outfit to wear. Aaron began to stir and saw her looking through her closet, trying to decipher her thought process telepathically. When she finally found the skirt and shirt she wanted to wear, she walked back to the bathroom and got changed. Her Lilly Pulitzer skirt was one of her favorites, and she wanted to feel confident today when meeting Aaron's parents. She smoothed out her peplum shirt and walked back into the room where Aaron was just starting to get up.

She went to pick up her sandals until Aaron coughed and pointed at the window. It was pouring down rain. She hesitated, put the sandals in another bag, and put on her white rain boots. They were just as stylish and would serve their purpose. Aaron chuckled, knowing his parents would love her determination, even when it came to wearing her favorite skirt. Aaron got up and put on a pair of navy shorts and a white button up, rolled to make a short sleeved shirt. He also decided on a bow tie, as he was unsure how many people would be at his parent's house. He picked a pink bow tie that matched Harper's skirt, making them look cohesive. He slipped on his Sperries, then walked back to where Harper was standing in front of the mirror. She put her hair back up into another bun, putting her watch and earrings on.

"Are you ready?" Aaron asked after she finished, smiling at her with as much love and admiration any one could ever look at someone with.

"Yes," she said, smiling. It was obvious to him that she had cried all night, as the puffiness below her eyes was still prominent and her voice was shaky. Aaron shrugged it off, what more could he expect from her after everything that was laid on her last night?

They went out to Aaron's car, and they drove to Aaron's parent's home. It resided in the more rural area of New York, with lots of land and a pond. There was a guest home, so Aaron made sure to pack some bags of extra clothes in case they stayed over. The ride was silent, but comfortable. Once getting out of the city, Aaron reached over and grabbed Harper's hand. The scenery resembled her hometown, and after the night before - Harper was not really sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Aaron recognized this, and started to wonder if this was the best decision. Regardless, this trip would provide her with some comfort in knowing there was a family that she could be a part of. Aaron was nervous, because never before had he invited a girl over with stakes as high as they were. He wanted to be with Harper, and wanted so desperately for his parents to see the beauty that radiates from within her - just like he does.

They started to drive down a long driveway, with his parent's house being tucked back behind some trees. Harper felt at home when she saw some stables in the distance, and made note that she would ask Aaron about them when she got the chance. Right now, she was most concerned with meeting his parents. Aaron parked the car, and Harper smoothed her skirt. The large doors opened on the front side of the house, his parents running down the steps. Aaron ran around to Harper's door and opened it while she was unplugging her phone from the car charger, and assisted her out of the car. His parents hugged him first, then Aaron turned and smiled towards Harper.

"Mom, Dad, this is Harper," Aaron said, putting his arm around Harper as if he had discovered a hidden treasure. Realistically, he recognized how lucky he was to have the lovely lady as his date and was very proud that he had the chance to introduce her to his parents.

Hours later, after their meeting, Aaron, Harper, and his parents were sitting gathered around a coffee table looking at old family pictures. Eventually, Aaron's parents were ready for bed, encouraging the two to explore their fields and have fun. Harper and Aaron said goodnight, each giving (and receiving) hugs. Aaron led Harper out a backdoor which opened up to large fields. There were cows in the distance behind the stables, and what looked like the promise of more animals behind some trees. There was also a pond in the distance by the stables, with a dock leading out over part of it. The view was breathtaking. Aaron saw her eyes wandering to the stables, so he figured he would begin to walk in that direction. He grabbed her hand and they began the walk.

Aaron had many things in mind. Harper got along very well with his family, and she had not stopped smiling - a relief after the night before. She walked beside him, her rain boots squishing with each step. He knew Sperries were not a good choice for this walk, but knew there were some other shoes in the stables he could change into. The only thing that mattered was Harper's glowing face. The farm looked good on her, she was comfortable. They walked into the stable, Harper immediately reaching her hand out towards his horse, Oliver.

"What a beautiful chestnut mustang, Aaron," Harper said while petting him. Oliver seemed to really like Harper, and Aaron was slightly confused.

"I didn't know you like horses," he said, changing into a pair of bean boots that he had left in the stable what seemed like years ago.

"When I was younger my family did a stint with being farm owners. My parents bought me a horse and that horse became my best friend. After my mom died, before my father remarried, he sold my horse for beer money. I was devastated," she said, continuing to look admirably at the horse before her. Harper noticed the slightly unruly manner of its horsehair.

Aaron looked up at the girl, looking through the different cubbyholes for a brush, and smiled to himself as he saw her climbing into the stable - brushing through the hair lovingly. He was unsure why anyone would deny someone of something that made them happy like the ways horses made Harper. She sighed as she finished up grooming Oliver and made her way over to Aaron. She sat on the bench next to where he had sat for the majority of their time in the stables.

"I'm so sorry, Harper... Come with me," Aaron said, grabbing Harper's hand and leading her to the pond. They walked out onto the dock, taking a seat off the edge of the old, weathered boards of the dock that had been there for the entirety of his life. Aaron reflected on all of the fun times he had with his brother on the dock, and thought about how much of a special place the dock was.

"You know, my home is your home, Harper," Aaron started, nervously. "I brought you here to show you that everything I hold dear to me is directly related to you. I love my parents, this house, Oliver, everything. And I love you. I know last night may have seen crazy, and I may have embarrassed you, but I spoke up and said the things I did based on the feelings I have for you. Everything from your OCD to your determination to wear your favorite skirt, so much so to wear rain boots with it - and still managing to look beautiful as ever," he said, chuckling towards the end. Harper watched him intensely. She could tell he was debating on what to say for a long time, and she was completely taken aback by his doting spiel.

"Harper, I have wanted nothing more than to introduce you to my family and let me show you that you have a family who would do anything for you and treat you like a real daughter. I don't want to shy around what I'm thinking. I would love to marry you. You're perfect to me, what others see as imperfections I see as parts of your beauty. I know it is way too early to propose and I definitely do not want to push you into a relationship that you aren't prepared for - but I do want to give you something."

Aaron pulled a ring out of his shorts pocket, holding it out in front of him.

"I want to promise to you that everything I do will be with your best interest in mind and will be in my best intentions. I want to promise that you are the woman I want to be with for the rest of my life. Whether I am the man you want to be with for the rest of your life or not, I want to promise to you that I will always be yours. No matter what," He said, looking up towards Harper's blank face. Anyone, other than Aaron, would think she were ignoring him - but he knew otherwise. He knew she was taking in everything he said, and he had laid a lot on the table before her.

"What do you say?" Aaron said, holding the ring in the space between his body and her small frame.

"Aaron, I love you too," Harper said, quietly - with her voice trembling. She held her hand out and Aaron slid the hand on her ring finger, placing a romantic kiss on her lips at the same time. They both smiled, and walked back to the guest house.

"I've already talked to my parents, we can stay in the guest house as long as you would like to stay," Aaron said, holding Harper's hand tightly as they walked through the the front doors of the guest house.

To Harper, the guest house looked just as good as the primary house. Everything was open, with the large living room connected to the bedroom by a large doorway, shaped like a semi circle. The kitchen was tucked in a corner beside a small wall. The dining room was on the opposite side, elevated on a platform. There was also a small booth in the kitchen area, which looked like it was straight out of diner except it was furnished with subtle colors that blended well with the color schemes of the rooms around it. There was a door that led to a small bathroom between the kitchen and the bedroom. Harper was amazed, and felt so blessed that Aaron's parents were so willing to share one of their homes with them. Aaron had already brought their bags to the guest house and unpacked their bags into the dressers in the bedroom. He wrapped his arms around Harper and smiled down at her.

"You know, it's almost like this is our own little house," He said, causing Harper to smile up at him.

"Yeah, it really is."

They both got ready for bed and curled up in the bed, watching movies all night long until Harper fell asleep in Aaron's arms - his own sleeping angel.