Status: Long one-shot; almost complete.

Listen to Your Doctor

The Hypospray

James “Jim” Tiberius Kirk, Captain of the U.S.S Enterprise, strolled into his quarters absolutely exhausted. Letting out a heavy sigh, he checked his door was sufficiently locked before finally collapsing onto the edge of his bed; head in his hands. Today’s shift had certainly taken its toll on him - forced to not only deal with an unforeseen ion storm that resulted in them having to take refuge behind some moon of a planet he could not recall the name of, he'd also had to cope with his every move being scrutinized by his First Officer, Spock.

Ever since the incident where he'd almos-well, where he'd actually died in the radiation chambers of his own ship, the crew had been on edge and many of them, especially Spock, had seemingly got it into their heads that he was some defenseless infant incapable of making even the smallest decision by himself. Which was entirely untrue - he knew exactly what he was doing. 90% of the time.

But the over-protectiveness he could deal with, as much as it pained him, because he knew that it was just his crew being worried for him and wanting to keep him safe. He was not such a heartless bastard where he couldn't understand that, which is why he’d gritted his teeth and allowed them to continue. What he could not deal with was his First Officer thinking it was appropriate to question every single one of his commands.

Every time that blasted Vulcan opened his mouth to second guess another one of his orders it not only lessened his authority aboard his own god damn ship but it also left doubts in his officers minds on his abilities as their Captain. That was not something he needed – especially considering the fact he had many of the Admirals breathing down his neck to make sure he did not lead his crew into life-or-death situation. Like it had been his fault the other times!

Sighing once more, Jim rubbed his temple gently. The pain slowly starting to form along his forehead, almost blurring his vision, was a sure sign that he had a migraine coming on. It had undoubtedly been caused by the building up of stress from the past few weeks. Knowing that the pain would only continue to get worse, he quickly decided a visit to his good friend, Bones was needed. After all, the Doctor never missed an opportunity to stab him in the neck with a hypospray.

~line break~

“Bones!” Jim had been on his way to the medical bay when he’d spotted his friend exiting from the Enterprises’ science labs; a small wad of paper grasped firmly in his hands. He watched as the doctor briefly looked over his shoulder at him before waving his hand in a motion obviously meaning for him to follow, before rushing off. Sighing, Jim maneuvered into a light jog. He wasn't surprised however that by the time he reached the medical bay McCoy was already busy at work, looking through numerous files spread about his desk in what he would call an ‘organised’ mess. Despite not being a very physical man the Doctor was still able to give any of the crew a good run for their money when it came down to speed.

“Jim! What have you gone and done now?” No greeting – seems like McCoy was his usual surly self.

“Nice to see you too buddy. And why do you always assume I’ve gone and done something, Bones? Contrary to popular belief I am capable of keeping myself out of mischief.” He barely suppressed a pout from forming as he leant against one of the abundant bookshelves decorating the Doctors small office.

“Like hell you are,” Bones huffed, sparing him a quick glance, “whatever it is – hurry it up. I just received some results back from the lab for some samples I gave those science geeks weeks ago and I really need to look them over.”

Smiling slightly at the older man’s irritation, Jim decided not to waste anymore of Bones time.

“I have a migraine.”

“And as usual you presume I have a copious amount of hyposprays just lying around with your name on them?” Bones huffed good naturedly, a sure sign that he was merely toying with Jim.

“Bones, just shut up and hit me with the drugs,” he moaned, crossing his arms over his chest. McCoy had the nerve to actually chuckle at him before moving around the desk and out of the room for a few seconds before returning with a small container.

“Never thought I’d see the day when James Kirk willingly let me give him a hypo,” Bones commented as he prepped the hypospray, sending a smirk his way. Jim merely huffed and prepared himself; even after the numerous hypos he’d been given over the years he was still not used to them. He must’ve succeeding in distracting himself because the next thing he knew there was a sharp stinging pain resonating through the side of his neck.

“Bloody hell Bones!” Jim rubbed the side of his neck where the hypospray had stung his skin,
“Give a guy a little warning next time!” He grumbled and pushed himself away from the bookshelf, ignoring the grin on his friends face.

“If I warned you every time I gave you a hypo, Captain, then I’d never be able to administer them to you, you chicken,” Bones shot back at him, shuffling around and putting the hypospray back in its container. “Now that should only take about 10 minutes to settle in. However, it’s one of those blasted updated versions so if you feel any side effects then I want you to come back immediately. And don’t you dare fall asleep for at least half an hour from now. Okay?”

Jim nodded absentmindedly, not really listening. He never usually did when it came to Bones giving him medical care, and besides, he’d heard it all before right? Bidding goodbye to the Doctor he rushed out of the medical bay, already feeling the hypo coming into effect and wanting to get back to his room before it fully kicked in.

Strolling through the ships interior he bumped into a few of his fellow alpha crew members, who were obviously on their way to dinner, but he merely nodded in acknowledgement at them before moving swiftly on. Finally, he reached the safety of his rooms where he proceeded to strip down to his boxers; intent on taking a light nap before heading off to dinner himself.

After all, what was the worst that could happen?
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go! First chapter for this eventual SPIRK story.
There will only be 1-2 chapters following this as this is only a one-shot. I apologize for any mistakes I've made regarding the Star Trek universe; I've only recently got into the fandom so my knowledge isnt what it should be. If I have made any horrendous mistakes please let me know! Hope you enjoy it though.
Live long and prosper.