Status: Long one-shot; almost complete.

Listen to Your Doctor

Inexcusable Actions.

Neither of them dared to even breathe following Jim's question, both too shocked by the possible revelations running through their minds.

He was the first one to break from his thoughts, coughing awkwardly around the hand that was still attached firmly to his neck. This seemed to also break Spock out his stupor and Jim watched in apprehension as the Vulcan slowly lowered his hand away from his neck, letting it hang uselessly at his side.

“I am afraid I don’t know what you’re on about, Captain,” Spock managed to force out, seemingly entranced by a spot somewhere over his shoulder thus avoiding eye contact. Jim would’ve believed him if not for the fact that the tips of Spock’s ears – yes ears – had twitched minutely, a sign the young Captain had worked out happened only when the Vulcan was trying to evade the truth.

“Cut the crap Spock, I know you’re lying.” He huffed and crossed his arms over his chest, glaring resolutely at his first officer.

“Vulcan’s cannot lie Captain, you of all people should know that.”

“Yes, but they can bend the truth can they not Spock? Plus, you’re half human which could very well give you an advantage over your peers.” Jim was quite proud that he’d remembered that small fact – one of the few Uhara had told him when she had consumed one too many drinks.

Shaking himself from his train of thought, he noticed that his first officer’s cheeks had turned an uncharacteristic green – surely Spock wasn’t blushing – and was seemingly struggling to find the right words to say. Well what do you know; he had finally managed to make Spock speechless. He’d have to remember to given Uhara a token of his appreciation at some point.

“I find that I no longer wish to partake in this conversation, Captain. My apologies.” Jim watched, momentarily stunned, as Spock swiftly turned around and began to make his way towards the door. But before he could even make it halfway across Jim had caught up, reaching out to grasp tightly at his wrist; causing the first officer to immediately come to a halt.

“What the hell Spock! You can’t just turn around and walk away halfway through a conversation! Whatever happened to Vulcan manners for god’s sake?” Jim ranted, his remaining hand balling into a fist at his side. “Now for blooming sake turn your stupid Vulcan butt around and talk to me!”

Slowly, as he obviously didn’t want to, Spock turned around to face him; eyes still averted from his face. Growling in annoyance Jim couldn’t restrain himself from reaching up and grabbing his first officer’s chin, forcing him to look Jim in the eyes – astounded to see them swirling with so much visible emotion that it caused his chest to ache.

“Captain, I do not believe how you’re touching me is entirely appropriate so I must insist that you release my person immediately.”

“Oh,” Jim arched an eyebrow up at his first officer, “and I suppose it was entirely appropriate for you to have me up against the wall with your hand around my neck, Commander?” At least Spock had the nerve to blush, his cheeks turning a dark green.

“I...apologise Captain...my actions were inexcusable.” Spock bowed his head, eyebrows furrowing in distaste.

Jim shook his head in reply, tired of the current line of conversation. He wanted Spock’s response his original question, now. But how on earth was he planning on making the Vulcan answer him when he’d already succeeded in evading the question twice now. Unless..
.
“You’re right Spock.” Jim removed his hand from where it was processing the Vulcan’s chin and watched in concealed amusement as Spock’s eyebrows rose in what must have been shock. “Your actions are indeed inexcusable and if I was anyone else I would have no choice but to report you to the Federation. However,” he allowed a few seconds of silence – to increase the mood obviously – before continuing, “I am prepared to over look them.”

Spock was silent for a moment, apparently thinking over all the complications of what he had just said.

“I find that most agreeable Captain, thank you.” Jim found himself smiling in an almost predatory manner.

“But, I must ask in return for one little thing.”

“And what exactly would that be Captain?”

“I want you to answer my question, truthfully – no half lies, no evading it anymore. I want the absolute and honest truth Spock.”

“I find what you ask of me quite distasteful Captain. Is there not perhaps something else you would prefer in return?” Jim shook his head negatively.

“That’s my one and only offer Spock, take it or leave it – you tell me the truth and I won’t tell the Federation about your little lapse of control.” He gently ran his hand along his neck, adding to his point. The Vulcan was quiet for a few minutes, obviously running over all the possible scenarios and figuring out the best route to take. Finally he seemed to come to some conclusion and nodded at Jim.

“Very well, I will answer your question Captai-Jim.” He could barely restrain himself from grinning – somehow his plan had worked! Keeping his face void of his glee Jim made his way over to one of the chairs situated in his room, signalling for Spock to take the other one - which he did, if not reluctantly. Jim allowed a few seconds of silence so that his first officer could calm himself somewhat, before coughing purposely, silently ordering the Vulcan to begin.
“You wished to know if the termination of my relationship with Nyota had anything to do with you, correct? Well, in answer to that I must first say that there were in fact many reasons why myself and the lieutenant chose to end our relationship but you were, regrettably, one of them.”

Well fuck. Jim certainly hadn’t expected to hear that and he felt himself sadden at the thought that he been the cause – or at least one of the causes – for a relationship to end.

“I’m sorry Spock, if something I did...whatever it was I did, I apologise for what it did to your relationship.” He bit his lip and clasped his hands together tightly but was surprised to see Spock shake his head.

“You have no reason to apologise Jim; you in fact, did nothing. It was in fact my actions that lead to the termination of our relationship.” What? This wasn’t even making sense anymore!

“What? I’m afraid you’ve confused me now, Spock. You just said that I was one of the reasons you guys broke up but now you’re say it was your own fault? It just doesn’t make sense.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm aware there's not much Spirk going on - still - but there will be some coming up soon! I promise. I should have the next chapter up in a day or so but until then, enjoy!