Status: Okay, let's try this one more time.

Compatible

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

I woke up shivering, legs itchy, and with a very dry throat. I refused to open my eyes, I felt a headache coming, and automatically regretted this little bit of consciousness, and just wanted to die right then and there. I tried to search for my blanket to my left, but instead my hand brushed through a damped surface, cold and moist, soft but also prickly. Grass. Why the fuck is there grass in my bed?

Then I was truly awake.

“Fuck.” I let out as I sat myself up, taking in my surrounding. It was too bright, the sun was gleaming right in my face. My legs were sprawled on the ground, that’s why it was so itchy, and my shoes were an arms length from my feet.

I was going to reach for them when I heard a grunt to my right. There lay Harry Styles, with a disheveled hair, his left arm wide open—which is what I probably used as a pillow—and his right comfortably resting on his stomach. What the hell happened last night? It couldn’t be we had sex here, no, he is fully clothed. He’s only wearing a long sleeve shirt, but I remembered he had a button up on too. I looked around where his button up can be, and tried to recall if he took it off at Malone’s and left it there. But merely thinking about where his shirt might be is hurting my head. More so trying to remember last night, I vaguely recall having a conversation with him when everybody went to go dancing. I guess we left the club together because I also remember complaining about my feet hurting from too much walking. Then did he gave me a piggy-back ride all the way here? There’s a blurry picture in my head of my hands running through his curls, and my head lazily on his shoulders, while I blew hot breaths on his neck.

“Jesus.” I breath out as a cold morning breeze whipped past. And that’s when I found his button up on my body, wearing it. The warmth that the alcohol gave me last night already left my system, leaving me with a terrible hangover as a souvenir. I hugged myself tight, scooting a bit closer to Harry for some body heat. If he didn’t lend me his shirt last night to cover my bare back, and slept next to me, I would’ve probably end up like Jack Dawson from Titanic, frozen to death.

A loud echo of chimes suddenly startled me from my thoughts. What the hell. I looked around, and from my spot, I can see the slightest view of the Big Ben. I’ve never heard the Big Ben strike, but damn, it’s loud. It reminded me of school bells from the movie, the ones that will make you scurry to class. I thought it only strikes at twelve? Hold on, what time is it? Is it twelve?! Fuck!

“Harry!” I shook his body but I all I got from him was a groan. “Fuck Harry, wake up.” I tried shaking him again, this time, he turned to his side. Desperate times, desperate measures. I stood up and started kicking his butt, and he still didn’t budge. Is he really this hard to wake up in the morning? I knelt down, hitting his sides to snap him out, but I only got a couple of whines from him, ‘no’ and ’stop’. He’s almost awake, just a little push. So I did the first thing that I thought of, I swing my other leg to his side, and leaned hands on both sides of his head.

“Harry, wake up!”

“No.” He tried to turn to his side again, but I was straddling him. He then covered his face with one of his hands but I nudged it out of the way.

He was squinting his eyes at me, he scrunched up his nose, and rubbed his eyes with the hand I just swatted. He looked like a little boy just waking up, it was actually quite adorable, but I swore to never mention that to Harry. He looked confused for a minute, then he had that shit-eating grin plastered on his face.

“What a nice view to wake up to.” Harry said slowly, with such raspy tone, and his accent thicker, that I thought I was going to melt into his arm.

I playfully slapped his face and got off him. I grabbed my shoes, putting it back on, and was getting ready to leave. I wasn’t sure what time it was, late morning probably, but we have to get going anyway. Before Victoria finds us herself.

“Babe, come back.” He whined, rolling on to his stomach, completely oblivious to the fact that he’s on grass, not a bed, and we’re in a park. Or maybe he purposely didn’t mind.

“Cute, Styles.” I said, scoffing at his lame attempt. “But we gotta go now. Do you even know what time it is?”

He checked his watch, and his eyes went bigger. “Shit!” He said looking at me, with a panicked face.

“Yeah, shit, let’s go.” I said matter-of-factly.

+ + + + + +


It was around quarter to ten when we left the park, St. James Park according to Harry, and it will take us at least thirty minutes to take it by foot to go back to the hotel. Maybe an hour even, considering I’m in heels. We were heavily debating if we should take a cab back, faster, easier, warmer, more comfortable, and the list of pros goes on, but the risk of successfully hailing one is not be worth the problems we’ll get into if we are photographed. I knew how much walking will kill my feet, but I made it clear to Harry that we will have to walk. He’s wearing boots, pants, and a long sleeve shirt, while I’ve only got a dress and his button up on to keep me from freezing. I should be the one yapping about taking a taxi. Then again, it was logical in my head that we absolutely had to walk for several reasons. One, I didn’t want to get car sick, considering I already felt like vomiting when I stood up. And two, I’ve never been caught sneaking out, I rather have calluses and a broken ankle than jeopardize my career, thank you very much.

But we still ended up taking a cab. Ten minutes into our walk, I was slowing down, and although I thought I was hiding my pain pretty well, Harry noticed my occasional wincing, and silent complaints.

Harry stopped walking and turned around to look at far I was from him. I motioned for him to go on, and that I would catch up. I’ve decided I’ll walk barefoot and was about to take off my heels, when Harry came strutting down to me.

“We’re getting a cab.” Harry said firmly, grabbing my wrist to stop me from taking off my heels.

“Harry, no.” I said standing straight up to meet his gaze to show him how dead serious I was that we’re are not getting on a taxi.

“You cant’ even walk!” He argued, running his free hand through his hair.

“I can!”

I thought I sounded convincing, with conviction even, but Harry had a deadpanned look on his face, and he wasn’t having any of my bullshit, not this morning anyway. So this time he did the dragging, pulled me by wrist to the main road sidewalk, hailed a cab in just a few seconds, and shoved me in. Lucky for him there was an incoming free cab coming around the corner.

Harry still looked pissed, and he hasn’t said anything since we got on the cab. But I am not the kind of girl to act sweet and try to soften anyone either. So, I just kept my mouth shut and let him sulk in his corner.

My feet was really hurting, and an ‘I told you so’ is the last thing I want to hear from Harry, but I still took off my shoes, crossed my leg, and I begin awkwardly massaging my feet.

“Put it up here.” Harry tapped his leg. There still wasn’t any hint of the cheeky Harry, and yes, I was perpetually annoyed by his constant state of giddiness, but there was something, not scary, but intimidating, about him being this serious. So I just did as I told, and put both of my feet on his lap. It felt so good to stretch my legs, I wonder how’s his long legs are doing. I was in heaven when he gently started massaging my feet.

“Oh my god, yeah, that felt good.” I earned a look from our cabbie, and I just shot him a smile. He was an old man, he probably didn’t know he’s driving Harry Styles in his backseat.

“Long night?” He asked, smiling at me.

“Yeah, sorta.” I replied happily to him. If Harry’s not talking to me, I’ll just talk to our driver.

“Oh! Americans?” Yeah, he definitely doesn’t know who we are.

“Yeah! My boyfriend and I are here for a couple of days, then we’re going to Paris.”

Harry’s head turned so fast I thought it was going to break. But the cab driver said something funny so I had to laugh, and I just winked at Harry. It’s also my poor attempt to get the mood lighter between Harry and I.

“Ow, shit!” He purposely pushed hard at one of my newly formed calluses. He had the devil’s smile plastered on his face when I looked at him.

“Sorry, babe.” He said in the worst American accent. I rolled my eyes at him, and sneered, but it was pretty hard to hide my smile from him. He is so lame, it’s almost charming.

We decided to get off the cab two blocks from The Ritz. I didn’t have my phone with me, and Harry’s cell was dead, we couldn’t call anyone to pick us up. There was a bunch of phone booths, but Kylie changes her number almost weekly, I don’t know it on top of my head, and the same goes for the boys as well. Harry and I were a hopeless case by this point.

We were two crosswalks away from the hotel and we could already tell the entranced was swarmed with Paparazzi and fans. There was no way we could get into that hotel without anyone noticing. It wasn’t much about getting a photograph with Harry, I was already photographed with a bunch of other guys before, and I could always use the ‘we’re just friends’ excuse. But getting photographed in last night’s clothes? Now, that’s a different story.

“Let’s just walk straight right in.” Harry suggested.

“Are you insane?” I looked at him like he was a crazy person. “We are not walking through those doors, got it?”

“Got a better idea, princess?” He challenged me. But yes, I actually did have an idea.

Harry and I walked a street back, rounded the corner, up a block, and another two just to find The Ritz’s back alley. Of course the area was fenced, and the door attached to the hotel only opened from the inside, but if it’s the restaurant’s backdoor, I am almost a hundred percent sure there’s a dishwasher boy waiting on the other side.

“Are you mental?!” It was Harry’s turn to look at me like I was a crazy person.

“No. Trust me this will work.” I said smiling at him, holding on to the fence and lifting my feet to start climbing. “Are you gonna give me a boost or what?”

He pushed me up, and he got on to climbing himself. I’ve done this with Kylie once back in Toronto, it was our first tour, and we knew some people in the city so they threw us a party. Victoria didn’t want us to go, so we snuck out. We were drunk, and there were a couple of Paparazzi waiting outside, five the most, but we were just starting out and it wouldn’t look good if we’re caught underaged drinking, so climbing fences it is.

“This is trespassing.” Harry said to me when we landed on ground.

“What? No, we’re checked in to the hotel.” I brushed him off. “Do you have cash? Give me a hundred dollars.”

“Why?” He asked but he was already reaching for his wallet in his back pocket. I didn’t have my wallet either, I had nothing on me actually, I was wearing a dress with no pockets for crying out loud.

He was hesitant to give me the bill so I just grabbed it from him. “Because, this.” I knocked on the door really hard, praying there’s a dishwasher boy to open the door. To anyone to open the door, honestly.

The door cracked open a little bit, and I saw this as an opportunity to bust right in. I pushed the door wider, and the thin, lanky looking kid in kitchen uniform with soap in his hand has either shock or horror on his face.

“Hey bud, sorry we had to use your door, but here’s a hundred, keep this a secret for me, yeah?” I took his hand, put the hundred there, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and winked at him. I then grabbed Harry to run through the busy kitchen.

There was a big commotion after us, but we got through the restaurant, not unnoticed, but unrecognized, and that was good enough for me. I hit a button going up on the elevator wall, and luckily there wasn’t many people in the lobby, just business men who doesn’t give a damn about two kids running around.

“Do you do this often?” Harry asked, a little amused, while we were waiting for an elevator.

“Which part? Sneaking into hotels, or waking up in parks next to a popstar?” I cheekily replied, I was pretty proud of what we just pulled of, mostly me, but okay, I’ll let Harry take credit too since it was his hundred.

He chuckled, and I knew he was back to the good ol’ Harry. “I wonder how many dishwashers you’ve kissed, and how much hundred bills you wasted.” He said teasing me.

Our elevator came when I was about to say a comeback, I was having fun with our little conversation, despite the bothering headache from the hangover. Lucky for us the elevator was empty, Harry was about to go in, but I put a hand on his chest and pushed him out.

“Take the next one.” I said quickly. Victoria will want my head in a platter if she sees us both getting off in the same elevator. Although our floor is off the premises, everybody in our crews occupied the same floor, who knows who will surprise us when we get to our floor? I just don’t want us to get caught.

“What?” He protested.

“We were never together last night, got it?” I said to him.

The elevator dinged, and it was closing, but I couldn’t help my self. I halt the doors closing with my hands, and ran up a few steps to him. I tiptoed, and slowly gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“Thank you, Harry.” I whispered in his ear, and ran back to the elevator.

I smirked at myself as the elevator door closed, Harry didn’t expect that one coming, he was a statue with a deer in headlights for a face.

+ + + + + +


“You’re an asshole, you know that?” After I told Kylie what happened last night, that’s all I got from her. The fact that I haven’t showered because once she opened the door for me, all she did was jump on my ass about what Harry and I did last night. And the fact that I was so hungover didn’t help me at all. She didn’t even offer me water to drink! I had to get it for myself.

“What did I do?!” I said, so appalled by her calm but very judgey reaction to what happened.

“Hmm, Raleigh, whatever puts you to bed.” She was on the floor, with an open luggage, organizing her clothes. That reminded me we’re flying to Paris tonight, but that’s not the point. Point is Kylie isn’t one to ‘organize’, we were more whatever-fits-in-the-bag-goes kind of girl.

“Say it.” I said provoking her. I got off the bed, leaned against the wall to face her, and crossed my arms. She knows I meant business when I crossed my arms, and I really do mean business, I want to hear what my best friend thinks of all this. I was also starting to feel dizzy lying down on the bed, I didn’t want to throw up on the white sheets, I already feel bad for the housekeepers for stinking the sheets with my alcohol smell. I should really take a shower after this conversation.

“Look Ral, I don’t think it’s bad to hook up once in a while—“ She started slowly, probably easing me up for the big blow.

“We didn’t hooked up.” I cut her off. I already told her a thousand times that we didn’t hook up since I entered this room.

“Okay, sorry.” She was really apologetic, I can see it in her eyes, but I wasn’t really sure what for. I mean, I guess it pissed me off she kept assuming Harry and I had sex, but it wasn’t really that big of the deal. I just wanted her to believe me, and I know she would if we just talk this out.

“Harry’s what? The hundredth guy you snuck out of a party with?” Kylie continued.

I looked away from her for a second. I was going to start tearing up, I don’t care what other people thinks, but when your best friend start thinking you’re a slut, that’s when it hurts.

But she knew me so well, that she can tell I was on the verge of crying. She took three strides to me, and pulled me into a hug. “Hey I didn’t mean it that way. I’m sorry, Ral.” She whispered to me, as she stroke my hair.

“I know.” I said to her, giving her a weak smile.

“Did Harry tried doing anything with you?” Her question threw me off, what’s Harry got to do with this?

“Uhm, no.”

“Did Harry tried to ditch you when realized he won’t be getting any?”

“What?” Now I’m really confused.

“Just answer the question.” She said, a little too excited. There was a glow in her eyes that I didn’t like, Kylie knew something and she’s keeping it from me.

“I don’t know… There wasn’t really a discussion of <i>anything</i> to begin with. From what I can remember at least. I mean, yeah we held hands, flirted a little bit, but that was it. Our flirting wasn’t even that suggestive, it was like two awkward eighth graders on their first date or something, I—"

“Harry have had the biggest crush on you since we first sang on Xfactor!” She exclaimed. Kylie couldn’t keep the secret anymore, she bursted it out like fairy dust exploding. She covered her mouth with both of her hands, eyes big, like the monkey ‘speak no evil’ emoji. Then she started cursing her to self.

“What?!” Was all I could muster. There is nothing between Harry Styles and I. Last night was just a fun game. It wasn’t the usual ‘game’, unlike the ninety-nine other guys I apparently previously snuck off with, Harry acted more like a friend with no hidden agenda. But still, it was for fun, right? It didn’t mean anything, it shouldn’t mean anything.

As if on cue Victoria came marching through the doors. She looked awful, not worse that me, but it seemed like she didn’t get her much required five hours of sleep.

“Raleigh!”

“Hey Vic—“ I tried giving her a weak smile, but something told me, with the way she said my name, she won’t be buying any of my excuses.

“Where have you been all night?! Do you have any idea—“ She took a deep breath, and closed her eyes, probably counting from one to ten in her head to calm down her nerves. “Get your ass to Conference Room C on the fifth floor in ten minutes. Impromptu meeting.”

“But I haven’t even showered!” I tried to reason out with her.

“Ten minutes, Raleigh! Or so help me God, I will put you in probation.” She said walking out of the room.

+ + + + + +


“I asked one thing from you Ral, one thing, and you can’t even do it?” Victoria, Paul, Harry and I are all present in the meeting. It wasn’t a very big room, but spacious enough to fit an oblong table for ten attendees. I’m pretty sure that table was the only thing keeping Vic from attacking me across the room because all I’ve done since this meeting started was shrug in every chance she gave me to explain myself. In my defence though, that one thing she always asked me to do was to behave, and I never did. I’ve disappeared in the middle of the night during our previous tours, I even missed some flights and really fucked up some show schedules, obviously I didn’t mean to, but considering the situation then and now, those days are worst. I was just so over trying to justify my wrong doings, mainly because, my headache is an absolute killer, if shutting up will make this meeting shorter, I’ll take her beatings.

They haven’t suspected Harry and I spending the night together, yet. But I don’t thing they’ll come to that conclusion, they would’ve brought it up the first thing if they thought of that. Problem is, Harry and I didn’t discuss an excuse if people became suspicious of our whereabouts.

“Would it be possible, you two were together last night?” Paul spoke softly, directing the question mostly towards Harry. Victoria took her seat beside Paul, suddenly interested in Harry’s answer. Harry didn’t get an earful from Paul, he just simply asked what time he got back in the hotel, and if he thinks someone caught a photo of him out last night.

“I, uh,—“ He mid pause, running his fingers through his hair, and sneaking a glance at me. I could read it in his eyes that he wasn’t going to lie, that he couldn’t lie.

“I saw you last night,” I said cheerfully, smiling at him. I knew both Paul and Vic were taken a back, but I didn’t break my gaze from Harry. I’m gonna take this to my own hands, and Harry Styles better watch how it’s done because I won’t be saving his ass again. “Yeah, you and Grimmy. You were so drunk, you almost tripped, face plant on the ground.”

“You were with Grimmy last night, Harry?” Paul asked.

“Yeah, I was with him.” Harry responded quietly. God, this boy is taking his good boy image way too much.

“And you were?” Victoria spat, shifting her gaze to me and crossing her arms.

“With some guy. I think he’s a model? I don’t know, he’s British though.” I answered without missing a beat. “Can I go now? I feel sick.”

“Who is this guy? We have to make sure he won’t rat you out.” I was so tempted to tell Vic he almost did, but I’ll save that heart attack for some other time. Plus she’s finally calming down a tad bit. It was like magic, Harry speaks and somehow everything’s all better.

“Forget it Vic, he won’t.” I assured her, and I was out of the door before she could say anything. I guess, it wasn’t really unfair that they trust Harry more than me, I’m pretty sure Paul and Vic bonded last night by tallying whose talent is worst to handle. I probably won a landslide over Harry.

“Raleigh.” I heard somebody called out but I already knew who it was. Either way, I stopped on my tracks, and waited for him to catch up.

“Thanks. For earlier.” He breathed out. I didn’t know what Harry was thanking me for, for sneaking us back in the hotel with no evidence, for that kiss on his cheek, or lying for him.

“Yeah, no biggie.” I replied casually, putting my hands the pocket of my jacket. I was waiting for him to say his good byes but he just kept up with me. I didn’t mind walking with him, the hallway was empty, and the elevator wasn’t that far from us anyway.

“I owe you one.” He said, smiling at me.

“Yeah, sure.” I gave him a smile too in return, didn’t thinking much about his I.O.U. offer.

“So, uhm, let me take you out for dinner.” He draw out his words, but mid sentence I already knew where he was going.

I stopped walking again, and looked at him. His hands were hanging on the pockets of his jeans, he had a nervous smile on, but his eyes were glowing, it looked greener than ever. I didn’t know what to tell him, I wanted to go to dinner with him, but at the same time, what Kylie said is still at the back of my mind. Then I did what I always do when my head and feelings doesn’t agree with each other, be a sarcastic bitch.

“Do you know what I.O.U. means, Harry?” I said, mocking him.

“Yeah?” He replied, slightly confused.

“Then you should know that I call the shots, right?”

He chuckled, took out his hands from his back pockets and crossed it. He stood up straight, and his left eyebrow raised, his gaze intently on me. Slowly but surely, a menacing smirk formed in face.

“What do you have in mind, babe?”

I didn’t mean to challenge him, and I wasn’t flirting either, I was trying to be mean to him so he stop harassing me. But his comeback took me off guard, and him over towering me was, I really don’t want to admit this, hot.

I was terribly convinced just moments ago that I have the leverage over this whatever game we’re playing, and now I didn’t know what to do with myself. I couldn’t take my eyes off him, and my tongue was tied. If there was ever a time Harry Styles is intimidating, it’s when he’s taking control. And I don’t like one bit of it, hate it to the brim, because quite frankly, with his tone, and stance he can make me do whatever he wants.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii you guys! I wanted to upload this before Christmas, as a holiday present, but as usual life got in the way. Anyway, I had tons of fun writing this :) I really love the Raleigh-Harry dynamics going on here. I like how Harry shakes Raleigh's world without knowing it, and how Raleigh suddenly becomes so unsure of herself because of Harry. Okay, I'll shut up now LOL I'm just so excited and hyped about this story :) But please do let me know what you think! Lot's of love :)