Status: Finished. Comments? Feedback?

Sauveur

one

His hands were clammy against the railing as he peered out into the night sky. The rain had only just let up, but he could see a few stars peeking from their blanket of clouds.

The band was in London for their European tour. The shows in the UK are always high energy, and tonight didn't disappoint. The other guys all went to local bars and clubs to celebrate, but David decided to do his normal routine when in London; walk around the city enjoying the sights, but always visiting the London Bridge.

The water so far below him tossed and turned over itself like a child sleeping. Its deep blue depths allured him. The street had long since quieted. Not many people drive on the bridge at ungodly hours on the morning. It’s a sight to see, and going sightseeing at night is pointless. The street lamps do little to ward away the dark. His hands grew tighter against the railing as his eyes bore into the darkness.

“Hey.”

He glanced to the origin of the voice. Before him stood a woman unaged by the world. Her petite frame only reached the middle of his chest. “Hello,” he said, his voice unsure.

“Ah,” she replied, “You’re not from here. I love American accents; keep talking so I can enjoy the sound of air being pushed up against your vocal chords.” Her gaze shifted from him to the setting around them. “Nice night, huh?”

“It is, actually. I enjoy this weather.”

“Then why don’t you move here? Or invent something so that you can get this weather where you live in exchange for us getting sunny, happy weather.”

He kept quiet, watching her and dissecting her intentions.

Suddenly she grabbed his hand, causing him to flinch back but not being able to pull out of her iron clasp.

“Come with me,” she whispered excitedly. A sparkle in her eyes is what bought him.

“Where would we go?”

“How should I know? Let’s just see where the wind will take us.”

“Let me get this straight. A person I don’t even know is proposing that I go with her to someplace she doesn’t even know yet?”

“That sounds about right to me.”

He took a deep breath. What did he have to lose?

“Let’s go.”

Her grin stretched so far he thought her face would split. “Aw yeah!”

Still holding his hand, she took off down the street. He stumbled initially from the unexpected start, but soon found it easy to keep up. His legs were much longer than hers so he almost passed her, but he fell back allowing her to take the lead. The pair bounded down the street till she made a sharp turn sending them flying into Monument station. They boarded the first train that came.

“I think this’ll take us just past Ladbroke Grove,” she said. Her slim frame was covered with a grandpa sweater and torn jeans tucked into combat boots. “It’s a beautiful place, really.”

“You never told me your name,” he said.

“I know,” a coy smile presented itself on her.

“Well I’m David. Or Davey. Whichever you prefer.”

She laughed. “Davey? That’s cute.”

“It’s a stage name,” he smirked. “I’m known as Davey Havok as I command the attention of thousands nightly.”

I believe that’s the first time you’ve let your guard down around me,” she said as she searched through her hand bag. Her slim hand pulled out a bag of candy, and she popped a sour worm into her mouth. “What’s the purpose of the name?”

“I perform for people; the person on that stage isn’t the person you’re chatting with now.”

“How fascinating,” she offered him a worm, but he refused. Sweets weren’t n his taste.

“So I assume you’re glued to your seat, clawing the furnishing in anticipation of my story.”

“I can feel my nails start to break as they dig in more. Please spare me another moment of this torture!”

“My name’s Carmen. I work in an office twenty hours a week organizing files the company wants to keep under wraps. I read all of the conspiracies and find out why three thousand dollars will just suddenly vanish.”

“How conventional,” he jokingly cried.

“And you’re a walking, talking stereotype. Leather pants- and is that eyeliner?”

He rubbed his eyes. “It was.”

The train slowly came to a halt. Carmen leapt out of her seat, David following close.

On the train, he had noticed her necklace. “Inverted cross?” he inquired.

“Correcto. What’s it to you?”

“Just curious. I guess since you wear that it automatically makes you this rebel and a very hardcore gal!”

“Screw organized religion! Let there be chaos and no rules! Hail Satan! Hail Satan!” She ran around pumping her fists. He couldn’t stop laughing

David finally managed to collect himself when they came out to the street. She had already started walking fast and before he knew it she was crossing the middle of the street. Cars screeched to a halt and honks blared. David waited for the light to turn, and he ran across the crosswalk.

“What the hell were you thinking?”

“I thought I’d cross the street. So I did,” she said the words slowly like she was explaining something to a small child.

“You could have died!”

“There’s a chance I’ll die every second of every day. A stray bullet might hit me in five minutes. I could fall down a flight of stairs in twenty years. I might die in my sleep when I’m ninety. Why not liven things up by taking risks? It sure makes life more exciting.” She took out a silver tin, and placed the electronic cigarette in her mouth. She inhaled and the tip glowed orange, and her exhale was slow and controlled. “My favorite flavor has to be oranges and cream. It’s just so sweet and homey.”

David was not a smoker, and thought it was a disgusting habit. However, he smelt no odor as she exhaled, and watched as the vapor disappeared almost instantly. He had no opposition to e-cigarettes now, well, except for the fact that nicotine is still present in them and sill has an addictive property.

“Right! See, you’ve made me forget why I came over here. “She strolled over to the bike stand by the wall that resided right by the entrance to a local pub. Carmen began fiddling with the locks on one of the bikes.

“Carmen, I hope you’re not doing what I think you’re doing,” he said as his worried eyes watched her every move.

“I’m picking the lock,” she said with a bobby pin in her mouth. “It’s way harder than it looks.”

“And why—“
“Shush.”

In five minutes she had one bike done; in ten she had the second. She climbed onto hers and started pedaling north. He struggled onto his and eventually was side by side with her. The streets weren’t exactly empty as a stray car would pass every minute or so, but it was definitely quieter than it was during the day.

“I can’t believe I’m riding a bike you stole,” he marveled.

“I’m not all at fault here. You never tried to stop me, so you’re an accessory to crime.”

“What’s the point to this, anyway?”

“As I said, I take risks. I got an impulse to ride a bike, so I stole a bike. Besides, no one saw,” her voice floated behind her as she coasted downhill.

The wind whirred past his ears. They were nearing Holland Park. It was beautiful. One of the places someone might stare at in utter awe. The park was still, almost like it was sleeping. No birds chirped, and the only movement was the pair riding into the landscape.

There were few lamp lights, which made it slightly difficult to navigate the walking path. Carmen coasted in front of him and led the way. She veered to the left, cutting on the grass, and only slowed down when they were placed far from any walking paths, but next to a small pond. The clouds were eerily illuminated by the stars that hid behind them.

“When I was little my dad would take me to this exact spot right before the sunset. He’d greet the stars and would sing them a song to help wake them up,” she was looking into the distance, lost in her memory, and lay down.

He laid down beside her. “My parents never did stuff like that,” he said with contempt. “When I started dressing like how I dress on stage, and experimented with stage makeup at seven years old, they treated me like I was a disappointment. I was the black sheep of the family. Eventually we became so distant, that the only reason they’d speak to me was if they absolutely had to.”

“That sucks,” she said. It took her a few minutes before she said anything else. “The star gazing, cooking, playing, everything stopped when he got a new wife. It was like he only needed one female figure in his life, and he chose her.

“One day we fought about that. I told him how neglected I felt, and how I hated her for replacing my mother; the woman whom he loved and who gave birth to me. He started to reply, but then said he was going to be late and left. I still remember the last thing I ever said to him.”

David stayed silent and waited for her to continue.

“When he was backing out of the drive way, I noticed his windows were down. He could have heard me if I yelled loud enough,” her voice became constrained. She cleared her throat a couple times. “I yelled that I hated him and wish he was never my father. Two hours later I got a call telling me he was in an accident, and had died.”

His hand found hers and wrapped itself around her delicate one. She squeezed tightly, as if doing so would stop the tears that began streaming down the side of her face.

Suddenly he spoke: “Why did you talk to me at the bridge?”

She sat up. “You looked like you needed a time to forget something. That or you just needed to get away. The time you were out –alone, might I add- also clued me in that something up.

She was right to an extent, but was still compelled to pry further. “What do you mean?”

"The only people up this time of night are the ones with lonely souls and broken hearts."

"Are you saying I'm not that?"

The wispy hairs coming loose from her braid billowed in the breeze.
"No. I think if your name was in the dictionary," she paused, her stony gaze fell on him, "that would be your definition."

Her demeanor had changed. She looked vulnerable. Like the slightest gust of wind would shatter her into a thousand pieces. She shivered once, and without asking, rested her head on his chest and draped an arm across his middle. He held her close to him, enjoying the warmth and closeness from her. David felt her as a whole; the way her curves molded against him, the way her breath heated a specific spot on him with every exhale, how her stray hairs tickled his chin. He felt her heart flutter like a bird stuck in a cage. Maybe that’s what she is, he thought to himself, a bird trying so badly to escape and be free.

The next morning David woke up deserted. He wondered if last night had been a dream. How could a woman so strange and intriguing be alive? He never had a chance to thank her.

As he stirred and rose, he noticed something in the grass. It glinted against the rising sun. The necklace shined brightly as he picked it up and placed inside his jacket pocket.

She was real, he thought, dazed. This stranger had affected his life in ways his parents and loved ones had failed to do. Carmen had given him a reason to keep going, and a drive he never knew he had. The strength she exuded seeped its way into his being. She helped him realize he wasn't alone; that everyone somewhere has someone- albeit a stranger or a spouse. She had saved him.

For last night, David had every intention of jumping off of that bridge.