‹ Prequel: Beneath Your Perfect
Status: Active!

Take Me as I Am

You Know You Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way

The ringing was constant and it took me a drowsy, confused, moment before I realised that it was my phone. I pushed my hand out from under my covers and searched blindly for it only to knock it to the floor.

Sighing, I decided it wasn’t worth answering and tucked myself comfortably back under the blanket, head burrowed in my pillow. There was only a short silence before it started ringing again.

I groaned loudly and pushed my body up and dangled my head over the edge of the bed, scrambling to grab my phone and press it to my ear.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” I hissed and grimaced at the screech that came through the phone. Blinking at my alarm clock, I noted that it was only eight in the morning. I hung up from Jade and Sarah and chucked my phone on the other side of my bed before snuggling back into the sheets.

This lasted a total of ten seconds before my doorbell rang, echoing through the apartment. It incessantly rung as the jerk on the other side of the door continuously pressed it. Groaning I pushed myself out of bed and grabbed my dressing grown.

“Coming.” I bellowed out to stop the doorbell and swung the door open ready to yell at whoever decided it was a good idea to disrupt my morning. Except nobody was at the door and I glanced down both ends of the hallway expecting to see someone. I frowned and glanced towards the ground when my foot connected with a box. It was wrapped in hideous Happy Birthday paper with little monkeys and bananas all over.

Glancing around again, I bent down and carried it back into my flat, slamming the door shut behind me. There was no note or card around the box so I ripped off the wrapping to find a plain brown box underneath, still no note. Heading into the kitchen, I grabbed a knife and split open one end and watched as chocolate fell out of the opening.

More precisely, my favourite chocolates fell out. Bars of Aero, Kit Kat and Flake littered my countertop as I shook the box one last time before stuffing my hand inside to hopefully find a card. There was nothing. Sighing, I threw the box away and grabbed a chocolate bar on the way to the shower, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to sleep now.

My phone was ringing on my bed but I ignored it in favour of going for a much needed shower. The cool water washed over my tired body and woke me up considerably. By the time I was out of the shower I was in a much better mood.

Grabbing my phone I skimmed through the messages before checking the missed calls. Both my parents had called so I called back dutifully, putting them on speaker and maneuvering around my room to get dressed for the day. Neither of them had sent the box full of chocolates but that they would see me later for a lunch that Jade and Sarah had apparently set up.

The doorbell rang again when I was heading towards the kitchen to get breakfast. Expecting Jade and Sarah, I opened the door and confusedly stared at a boy I did not know. He held up a paper bag in front of me.

“Breakfast from Big Joe’s bakery.” I glanced down at the boy’s polo shirt to see that he did actually work at my favourite bakery down the street. I opened the bag to see a large array of baked pastries.

“How do you know where I live?” I asked confused. The young boy smiled.

“We were called two days ago to bring this to you at this time for your birthday. It’s all paid for.”

“But who paid for it?” I questioned, staring between the boy and the pastries, completely confused.

“Sorry not allowed to tell you,” He beamed back like the secret was exciting.

“Right,” I said slowly, beginning to shut the door.

“Happy Birthday.” He waved and turned to walk down the hallways.

“Thanks,” I muttered belatedly, watching him go before shutting the door and pulling the pastries out onto plates. They were still warm so I didn’t have to heat them. I stared at them cautiously for a moment before shrugging and taking a bit. Closing my eyes I enjoyed the taste of the soft pastry before moving to my coffee maker and turning it on.

“Aria!” I jumped, startled when I heard the front door open and Jade calling my name. Sarah and Jade appeared seconds later, large smiles and presents in both hands.

“Happy Birthday.” They both said coming over and pulling me into hugs. I still had a mouthful of pastry so I just smiled and accepted the hugs.

“Did you guys send these?” I questioned after swallowing. They both eyed the pastries and the chocolates that were still sprawled on the table and shook their heads.

“You don’t know who sent them?” Sarah questioned, reaching to take a pastry. I shook my head.

“The box of chocolates came without a note and the pastries were delivered by a worker who wouldn’t tell me who they were from.” I explained to them before grabbing my coffee.

“Maybe it’s supposed to be a secret.” Jade shrugged and helped herself to some pastries as well. I eyed her doubtfully but decided not to press further.

“So what were my parents talking about a lunch for?” I asked them and received matching grins.

“We got a table for us and your parents at the Alain Ducasse restaurant.” My mouth fell open at Sarah’s declaration and I glanced between them both to see large smiles.

“We can’t afford that.” I blurted out, taking a seat at the counter.

“Don’t worry about that.” Jade waved me off and picked up a candy bar. I glared at her but allowed her to eat it nevertheless. “Now come on and finish breakfast, we have a whole day planned for you. We have to get our hair and nails done before lunch.”

Staring between them both, I hesitantly finished my coffee and another pastry before brushing my hair and grabbing my bag, letting the girls eat the rest of the pastries. On the way out the door I scrolled through the messages I had been receiving all-day and frowned at the lack of one from Niall.

“Stop pining over him today sweetie.” Sarah leaned over and grabbed my phone from me. I frowned at her and opened my mouth to protest before conceding. I was pining over Niall and it was obvious to anyone that knew me. But I couldn’t help it, it had hurt that he hadn’t replied to my voicemail yet. I was almost tempted to ring him to see if he had listened to it but that was just a whole level of pathetic that I wasn’t ready to dive into yet.

The next few hours I spent seated in chairs while my hair was cut, coloured, washed, dried and curled to perfection. My nails were cut and buffed and painted with a light gold that Jade and Sarah had insisted on.

I felt good and happy but the moment I turned to pay everyone immediately shook their heads.

“All paid for.” My hairdresser smiled and winked at me, I looked from him to the ladies that had down both my fingernails and my toenails and received a dismissing wave from them with a smile.

“You guys didn’t pay for this did you?” I turned to Jade and Sarah who snorted.

“Of course not, God,” Jade up and left the salon with Sarah and I following.

“We’re not made of money Aria.” Sarah threw over her shoulder and I just followed them both, utterly confused.

They sent me back up to my apartment telling me to get changed and to meet them at the restaurant. A cab would pick me up at eleven thirty. I was surprised that we all wouldn’t be going together but it was their plan so I just nodded and climbed the stairs back up to my apartment.

There was no present at the door when I got to my flat. I wasn’t sure if I had actually been hoping for one or not but I did feel slightly disappointed.

I opened the door and dumped my coat on the rack before almost stepping on a small box in the middle of my hallway with a bow on top. I grinned excitedly and knelt down to pick it up. The boxes lid easily came off and nestled inside was my favourite perfume; Honey by Marc Jacobs.

I searched the box inside and out but once again there was no note. I sighed and moved towards my bedroom. I knew I should be worried that someone had gotten into my apartment but I had the feeling that Jade and Sarah were in on everything so it would be okay.

I stopped short of walking into my room when I noticed two boxes on my bed. Frowning I walked over to the first larger, white box and placed the smaller perfume box next to it. I searched over the boxes and over the bed but again there was no note.

Curiously I flipped up the lid to be met with pink tissue paper, peeling it back and pushing it out of the way I gasped when I saw what was nestled inside the box. Lifting the white dress up and splayed out in front of me I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was. I searched for the price tag but couldn’t find any. I could not believe that someone would be willing to pay for a Burberry dress for me. I set the white dress aside and cautiously moved towards the other box.

Lifting the lid I stared down at the Louboutins heels that were nestled in the packaging. I stared without touching them for a moment before finally reaching in and pulling them out. They had a simple heel with a gold metallic look; they may have been the most beautiful shoes I had even seen in my life and certainly the dearest that I had ever held. There was still no note to tell me whom this was all from.

My phone vibrated with a text from Jade telling met get dressed I sighed, knowing for sure that Jade and Sarah were in on this.

I slipped out of my clothes and quickly pulled the dress on. The material easily flowed over me, the size fit perfectly.

It had a high front; the gentle material sitting around my throat while it fell elegantly to the ground. There were two extra bits of material hanging from the waist that I crossed over my stomach and brought up to my back where together it tied with the top pieces to make a bow. Which then left my lower back completely bare with only the tail of the bow gently touching it.

I put the shoes on the floor and slid into them, smiling at how comfortable they felt. I glanced in the mirror and spraying some of the perfume on and found a clutch of my own that went with the dress before heading downstairs to wear the cab was waiting for me.

The cab driver opened my door and I slid in, feeling slightly nervous about the place we were going to.

When we finally arrived the cab driver informed me that once again, everything had been paid for. I thanked him and stepped out of the car to see Jade, Sarah and my parents waiting for me. I tried to feel comfortable in the extremely expensive dress as I walked towards them. Jade and Sarah’s grins were wide and I tried not to be too annoyed at the secret that they were both obviously keeping from me.

“Happy Birthday sweetie.” I smiled and kissed both my parents before letting them lead the way inside. Jade stepped forward and whispered something softly to the waiter at the door; I watched them but couldn’t pick out what they were saying. But as soon as they were finished the waiter rushed us to our table with no questions, our menus given to us and I was left to stare, amazed, at the restaurant.

The lighting was dull enough to set a certain classy ambience but light enough that we could still obviously see our food. The chairs were comfortable and the tables set up with enough knives and forks that I was instantly confused which one to use first.

“All right guys, what gives? How can we afford this?” I asked them both, they shared a smile with my parents and shrugged. I narrowed my eyes at my parents, realising that they were in on it all too.

“What do you two know?” I demanded of them both. Their expressions remained blank, too use to my demanding nature.

“Be quiet Aria and enjoy your food.” My Mum reprimanded me and gestured to the menu. I sighed knowing that if they had already decided to keep this a secret I probably wasn’t going to worm it out of any of them.

We ordered our food and received it fairly quickly since the restaurant wasn’t too busy at this time of day.

“Do you all at least know who paid for the dress because this is just ridiculously expensive?” I glanced towards them all and Jade pursed her lips at me.

“If you honestly don’t know who it is by now then we can’t help you.” I frowned at Sarah before quickly smiling at the waiter who filled my glass with champagne. Most of my gifts so far had been expensive except the chocolates and pastries but the only person who I knew that could afford a Burberry dress was Niall. But Niall hadn’t called back; he hadn’t messaged me or shown any indication that he had listened to my voicemail. Was I really supposed to believe that he would send me these gifts for my birthday when he hadn’t even bothered to reply to me practically pouring out my heart on the phone.

The food was amazing as expected and filling to the point where I couldn’t finish the whole meal. I was slightly tipsy on the champagne and giggling by the end of lunch. It was good and I felt happy, less worried like I had been these last few days.

“Are we still going out tonight?” I asked Sarah and Jade as we began standing up, collecting our bags and coats.

“Sorry Aria but we can’t tonight, we both have to work early tomorrow.” I frowned at Sarah.

“But I thought you both got the day off work, and Jade you normally have nothing on?” I was confused; we had planned to go out drinking weeks ago.

“There was a last minute meeting I have to go to with my publisher and I resent you telling me I do nothing.” She mock glared and moved towards the exit. I paused and watched as Sarah and my parents moved to follow her.

“Don’t we have to pay?” I called out to them, so completely confused with the day.

“Already paid for honey.” My Mum linked my arm and urged me through the door.

“By who? Come on guys you have to tell me?” I whined, the alcohol making me sound more childish then I had aimed for. Jade only shot me a sympathetic smile and ushered me into a waiting cab.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Aria.” She grinned and shut the cab door. I moved to open it again when the car drove away, seeming to already know exactly where I was going. Sighing I lent my head against the cool window screen and let the scenery past me by.

I had had a good day but was utterly confused with my friends and family. And to top it off I would be spending my birthday night alone, with nothing to do.

I moved to get my purse out when the cab driver stopped at home before pausing.

“Let me guess, it’s been paid for?” I asked the cabdriver who smiled at me and nodded.

“Have a good night Miss.”

“Yeah thanks.” I mumbled, stepping out of the cab and eyeing my flat building. Sighing I stepped inside and walked into the elevator, letting my hands run over the smooth material of my dress. I let myself get distracted enough before pushing my way into my empty apartment.

Glancing around I decided that I probably needed to get a dog or a cat to at least greet me at the door when I got home. This was getting depressingly lonely.

I pulled the shoes off my feet and made my way towards my bedroom, prepared to climb into comfortable and warm pajamas when the doorbell rang. I sighed and turned back the way I came to answer the door. The shoes still hung from my hand when I yanked the door open and stared blankly at the person waiting.

That person being in a suit holding two plastic bags that looked full. I eyed Niall, shocked, not wanting to actually believe that he was standing here, in front of me, smiling with his hair gelled and jacket slung over his shoulder.

“I don’t –.” I began before stopping and continued staring at Niall, blankly, he grinned like his whole plan was to drive me speechless.

“The dress looks great on you.” He commented, his grin not leaving his face. “Can I come in?” I narrowed my eyes at him but moved to the side to let him in, there was a suitcase out in the hall and I numbly grabbed the handles and pulled it into my flat leaving it by the door. I turned around to see Niall had already moved further in, noises resonating in my kitchen. He was unpacking the plastic bags, dishes of what looks like different pastas littered the bench. The other bag held candles that he moved to set up on my dining table before pulling plates and glasses down.

“Do you have wine? I didn’t have time to pick one up.” He murmured opening the cupboard and successfully pulled out a bottle of wine.

“Niall.” I said, still standing in the entryway to my kitchen, shocked. He grinned at me and put the bottle of wine down to stare at me patiently. “What is going on?”

“Someone decided they would leave me voicemail messages when I was on my way to Australia instead of telling me while I was here so I had to go out of my way to book the earliest ticket back and you’re lucky I even made it for your birthday. The plane got here an hour ago. Running late.” Niall frowned and rubbed a hand through his styled hair. I noticed the bags under his eyes.

“The chocolates?” I questioned, gesturing to the bars still on my counter. Niall grinned.

“I have a friend who works at a chocolate store. Got him to send your favourite out.”

“The pastries?”

“Called them before I left and made sure to order your favourite and have them here this morning.” He looked quite happy with himself.

“My hair and nails?” I questioned further, narrowing my eyes at the joy Niall was having from this.

“Your hairdresser is a great guy. He gave me the idea to have a nail session for you two.” I narrowed my eyes and stepped up to the counter so I was standing opposite to Niall.

“The perfume, dress and shoes?” I asked, already knowing that it was him.

“Jade gave Liam a key and he snuck them in while you were getting your hair done.” He looked extremely proud of that one. I rolled my eyes and tried to stop the small smile slipping across my face. My heart was already beating rapidly.

“And you got my sizes right?” I questioned, doubting.

“I take notice Aria.” He replied sincerely, his face serious. I looked away and tried to breathe calmly.

“Lunch and my parents?”

“Your parents invited us over for dinner in a week. I already told them yes.” I shook my head at Niall exasperated. I looked over the table full of pasta dishes and the candles flickering on the table before looking back at Niall.

“So is this your answer to my messages because I’m honestly confused.” I blurted out to Niall who sighed and walked around the counter so he was standing in front of me, his hands coming to rest on my hips.

“I love you Aria and I don’t want you to be different. I don’t mind that you want your own space; I like having my space too and I I’m going to be touring a lot so I won’t be able to here for you all the time. And I want you to go out and party and have fun, I would never ask you to stop. So long as you come home with me every time or at least don’t go home with anyone else,” I nodded, not knowing what else to say. Niall grinned and leaned down brushing his nose against mine. “I don’t want you to change, at all. Got it?” I nodded again and tried not to sigh too loudly when Niall brushed his lips against mine, nudging my face up with his thumb and forefinger. I let him lead in the small but intimate kiss before he pulled away and took a step back.

“Come on the food is getting cold.” I laughed and let Niall lead me to a chair before dishing out the food onto plates. After he sat down I reached out and grabbed onto his hand, linking our fingers together. He looked up and smiled at me warmly and my heart calmed down, my breathing evened out and my stomach settled.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End! Okay guys so this is over! It was always supposed to be just a short one and there were times when I lost my inspiration for it but I think I'm happy with how it turned out so I hope you all are too!

Also now that this is ending it gives me time to work on a new big story I've been planning on posting soon so watch out for that! :)

Thank you to everyone who comments, subscribes and recommended! You are all amazing and I love you!

xx