Status: This story will have an alternate ending

Dark Side

Blame Game

Zach's POV:
I’ve been at the hospital for a few hours. Lucy, Cameron, and Michael show up.
"Dude, what happened?" Michael runs up to me.
"We had a huge fight earlier this week. Then she tried to say she loved me and I didn't buy it. I guess I left sleeping pills from my mom because when I went to apologize she was passed out."
"That's crazy." He says.
"I know. I feel so bad. I made her do this. If I had listened and realized I didn't want to leave we wouldn't be here."
"Zach, it's not your fault. She's my best friend, but she's a little insane and dramatic sometimes." I want to believe Lucy, but it's so hard.
"Mr. Porter?"
"That's me." I jump up and run to the doctor.
"How is she? Please tell me she's fine."
"Yes, but those are some strong sleeping pills."
"I know they are. That's why I stopped taking them." The doctor shakes his head and starts to walk away.
"Wait, can I go see her?"
"I guess so. Follow me." We all stand up. "One at a time."
"Can I go last you guys?" They look at me with sad expressions.
"Sure, Zach." Lucy decides to go first.
"Man, I warned Katrina not to hurt you, but I never thought about you hurting her." Cameron says.
"Look, I feel bad, okay? Can we drop this?"
"Sure we can." Cameron says. Mikey is sitting there, quiet.
"What's up, man?" I ask him.
"It's just weird. I feel like I could have stopped this." He is talking crazy. There's nothing he could have done.
"What could you have done, Mikey?" Cameorn asks.
"I saw her the day you broke up. When I saw the tweet where you said you didn't have a girlfriend, I left the beach. I didn't want to see her cry. She probably felt even more alone then."
"Mikey, it's not your fault. There is nothing you could have done to stop this."
"Zach's right. You couldn't have stopped her. This was probably a recent decision.” Cameron tells him.
"But if I had cared she wouldn't have felt so alone. She'd know that she can come to me if she needed someone to listen. She is sort of my friend."
"If it's anyone's fault, it's mine. I blew her off to hang with Cameron. Really, I just wanted her to be alone so Zach would make up with her. When your best friend doesn't care about you, who does?" Cameron comforts Lucy while Mikey goes in. He and Cameron had shorter visits than Lucy. Finally, I go in. She is hooked up to so many machines and IVs.
"Hey, Kat. I finally get what you were trying to say. You really do love me, don't you? I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you." Her eyelids flutter but that’s it. "Kat, I know you can hear me. I love you and I know you love me. I was hurt, but I can get over it. I want to move back in our apartment. Is that okay with you?"
"Yes. Zach."