Status: It's a work in progress, so not the final draft! It didn't format well, sorry!

Dragon Princess

Chapter Four

When the castle was in plain sight Melody tied Chestnut to a tree. She didn't want everyone seeing her showing up on a horse! She walked up the castle and walked in. The ballroom was huge. Flowers were everywhere, and decorations made up gold, silver, and precious gems. There was a table full of food, all looking delicious. People were mingling around, some dancing to the music of the instruments playing by themselves. The King must of had a wizard enchant them. A simple spell. Melody felt a hand on her shoulder and turned around.
"Mel, I thought you couldn't come!" James exclaimed, a big smile on his face.
"I found a way," Melody said with a wink.
"May I have this dance mi'lady?" James asked, and took a little bow.
"Why yes you may," Melody said giggling, and did a little curtsy.
James took Melody's hand and led her to the dance floor. He kept hold her hand, and put his other hand on her waist. Melody put hers on his shoulder, and they began dancing with the other couples.
"You look beautiful Mel," James said softly. Melody blushed.
"You look great too," Melody said. They danced a couple more songs until a horn sounded. The whole room grew quiet.
"Announcing King Henry," said the servant who blew the horn.
"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the grand ball. I hope my son finds his princess tonight." Giggles from girls ran through the room. "Now please welcome, Prince Adrian."
Prince Adrian showed up next to his father. He was tall, wearing a black tailored suit. His blonde hair was brushed back neatly, and his blue eyes were scanning the room, looking at his selection of women. His face had a smirk on it, as if he knew that every women in the room wanted him. Melody thought he looked conceited. James was studying her, looking to see if she would swoon like the other women. Music began playing again, as the prince walked down to the dance floor and began his selection of hopeful women.
"If he even thinks of talking to me, I'm leaving," Melody said to James, who smile was huge when he heard that.
"Dance with me some more?" James asked.
"Of course."
************************************************************************
Prince Adrian sighed mentally as he stood in a circle of giggling, stupid girls. He knew he was handsome, and he knew he was charming. He also knew he was bored. All this trouble to find one simple girl.
"Prince Adrian, dance with me!" a bold girl said.
"What?! No me!"
"No me!"
"Dance with me!"
"Pick me!"
Prince Adrian grimaced and then put on a charming smile. The girls stopped fighting and swooned.
"Ladies, all your turns will come soon enough. Unless I end up choosing one of you as my princess," Adrian said with a wink. All the girls giggled and sighed dreamily. Now what kind of girl did Father want him to look for?
"She'll be beautiful. with golden hair, emerald green eyes, and a certain elegance to her."
Adrian grabbed a random blonde girl from the group of girls and she gleefully began dancing with her. He quickly glanced showed him the other girls were staring with jealously at her. He turned back to the girl and saw she had blue eyes. No such luck.
The rest of the night Adrian kept going through all the blonde girls and none of them matched the description. None seemed to have green eyes. He hadn't realized what a rare color is was for eyes. Girls who didn't have blonde hair began to pout, as they noticed the pattern. If Adrian had it his way, he wouldn't choose any of these girls.
Then he saw her. She was dancing with another boy, and her dance had an elegance to it that he hadn't seen in the others. She was smiling at the boy, and his heart stopped. Her smile was beautiful. The boy did a big twirl and suddenly her hair came out of it's bun, and her long golden hair fell down, covering her whole back. She let out a giggle, and time seemed to slow down and all he could hear was the sound of laugh. He couldn't see her eye color from where he was, but he knew that if he could, they'd be green. Green like emeralds. This girl was also the only one in the room not even glancing his way. She wasn't like the other bimbo's in the room. She was different, and Adrian not only needed her for his father, but wanted her.
************************************************************************
The night was perfect. Melody was having so much fun with James. They hadn't stopped dancing the whole night, and James was being so sweet. James gave her a big twirl and suddenly her bun that had come loose from all the dancing undid. Her long hair fell down to her back, and she giggled.
"Whoops," she said. James grabbed a lock of her hair in his fingers and smiled warmly at her.
"I like your hair down more," he said. Suddenly Melody felt all tingly as she looked into James eyes. He leaned towards her, and Melody knew she was going to get her first kiss. His lips were inches from hers, and she closed her eyes. His lips were barely on hers when a noise interrupted the perfect moment. James jumped away from her quickly.
"Ahem. May I have this dance?" Prince Adrian was in front of her, holding out his hand in expectation. Envious girls were looking at her, as they waited for her to say yes.
"No thank you, I'm fine with James," Melody said, and grabbed his arm. James looked at her with shock. He didn't think he could win against the Prince. Gasps from people all around them were heard.
"Well this ball is for me, not him," Prince Adrian said. It was obvious he wasn't use to being told no. Melody just shrugged at him.
"Well I'm not the only girl here, so why don't you go choose one of them?" Melody said.
"Because I wish to dance with you," Prince Adrian said with surprise.
"Well I don't wish to dance with you," Melody said with a glare.
"Excuse me? I'm the Prince, and I demand you to dance with me!" Melody laughed sarcastically.
"No thanks. Come on James," Melody said, and walked out of the palace with James. Outside waiting for her was her father.
************************************************************************
Adrian stood there dumbfounded. Did this amazing girl just turn her down? The one girl that drew him in, was the one girl that wanted nothing to do with her. He was going to have her, and he was going to have her soon.
"Was that her," said a whisper in his ear. He knew it was his father.
"Yes it was. The golden hair, the emerald green eyes, and even the elegance in her walking and dancing, all their in one person," Adrian said.
"So we know what she fully looks like now. Perfect. Soon she'll be in our clutches." Adrian didn't have to look at his father to know he was smiling.