Wonderland

To Kill A Mockingbird

As soon as the Mad Hatter had spoken those words, I was immediately drawn into his his thought pattern, and the plan he had been creating ever since I had first entered Wonderland. He spoke animatedly to White and Cheshire while I sat back and listened, watching the converstion in wonderment.

"And then after we rush through the maze of those god-awful flowers toward the palace..." he muttered in hushed tones, the others gathered around him intently and I sighed.

"Hatter, why does all of Wonderland wish for me to be Queen?" I asked curiously, asking the one question that I could not wrap my head around.

All conversation stopped as all eyes turned to me with a look that they had forgotten I was present. Lifting my eyebrows, I regarded them with open curiousity while they exchanged a quick glance before gathering around me.

Cheshire leaned forward slightly, his eyes twinkling and piercings sparkling. "You have lived with the Red Queen for little over a year, Alice. What did you learn?"

I thought back to the time I had spent with the Queen. At first she had been a gracious host, raising me at her side. She had taught me proper etiquette and how to mind my manners. We had so much fun together, playing games and hosting parties for all of the high society in Wonderland.

But underneath all the fun and games, I learned diifferent things as I grew older being around the Queen. She began requesting my presense when prosecuting the people of Wonderland for the crudest reasons. I discovered that she grew jealous easily and beheaded those whom she did not like or those who recieved too much attention from the menfolk.

I noticed it even more once she started looking at me that way. I could feel her icy glares, like daggers pricking me in my spine. People had begun coming to me before the Queen because I was kind and caring to each and every one of them. I believed that those whom she wished to be beheaded deserved a fair trial. I further angered her when the King agreed with me and began requesting trials for those the Queen wanted dead.

On the eve I managed to escape, the Queen had decided to kill me in my sleep. She had snuck into the chambers she had given me with a golden dagger in her grasp, ready to cut off my head when I woke. I had scrambled away from her and ran as fast as I could until White found me and led me into the secret passageways throughout the castle. That was how I ended up with the Hatter and Cheshire.

However, even with all of the bad things that the Queen had done I could not believe that she deserved sudden death. I looked at the faces peering back at me and sighed.

"While I do not agree with the Red Queen's ways of beheading people because of jealousy, I do not think that she deserves death by me," I explained with the shake of my head, and Cheshire rolled his eyes.

I treated him to a glare and focused on Hatter and White. "She deserves a fair trial by the inhabitants of Wonderland."

Hatter narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as Cheshire leaned back against the nearest tree, his eyes narrowed into slits. White seemed slightly disturbed, his face pale while his long white ears drooped in terror. Poor little guy was terrified of the Red Queen.

"A trial by the people of Wonderland, eh?" the Hatter muttered as he turned away and began to pace, mumbling to himself.

I turned to White and took his hands in mine. "Do not fret, White. I promise that the Red Queen will not harm you."

White looked at me fearfully with those scarlet red eyes and took a deep breath. When the trembling stopped, he nodded his head and managed a weak smile as his ears perked up. I smiled kindly and gave his hands a squeeze as we turned our attention back to the Hatter. He was still pacing and mumbling nonsense to himself.

He stopped abruptly and swung towards us, his black eyes wide and bottomless. A slow sadistic grin graced his lips and he cackled evilly.

"This just may work."