Wonderland

Evolution

Counting stars was one of the many habits I had picked up during my stay here in Wonderland. The stars were forever change, much like the rest of the bizarre home of mine, but I was constantly drawn to them. I took my usual seat a top a flat head mushroom at the edge of the woods and turned my eyes heavenward. The forest was unusually quiet and it played around with my nerves. I did not remember a time when the woods had been so silent. I couldn't even hear the gentle swaying song of the trees; it was simply dead silent.

I felt a sense of dread at the upcoming storm. I could feel it riding over Wonderland, causing the unnatural silence amongst the inhabitants. Somehow I knew that the Red Queen was up to something and I didn't like it. It set me on edge and I huffed with frustration. The Red Queen could never leave things alone; she always had to make matters worse. Earlier during my conversation with the Hatter and others, I had requested that Red be given a fair trial, judged by the inhabitants of Wonderland. It was only fair that her own people choose her punishment. Now, it was only the matter of dethroning her.

Hatter had promised that he would speak to the Faeries and others to formulate a plan to place me on the throne. I bit my lip with worry. Do I want to be Queen of Wonderland? Am I suitable enough?
I was still just a girl having only just reached womanhood according to Wonderland standards. Even the Red Queen was young like me. Red, red, red. It was all I could think about and it bothered me to no end. What was so special about Red in the first place? She was a tyrant and didn't deserve to be in charge of a kingdom. All she did was murder her people because of her piteous jealousy issues.

I suddenly felt angry. Thinking of the Queen just made my blood boil! All of those innocent creatures of Wonderland, just laid to waste because they were prettier or more outgoing than she. It was disgusting and I loathed that about the woman.

"Your face will permanently remain like that if you don't stop, you know," a voice murmured, his warm breath whispering across the flesh of my ear and neck.

I shivered in response compared to the cool night air and turned my head to see Cheshire standing there, his hands in his pockets gazing down at me with those golden cat eyes of his.

I gave a sigh and returned my gaze to the stars. "I know, I'm sorry. I just can't seem to stop thinking about the Red Queen," I admitted quietly as he joined me on the mushroom.

His eyes lifted to the stars in silence as we sat together. A low rumble sounded in his chest.

"The Red Queen will get what she deserves, Alice," he said softly and cast a glance at me, his glowing eyes filled with warmth. "You were always meant to rule Wonderland."

Frowning, I looked away from the stars into his eyes. "How do you know?" I whispered, unable to hide the anxiety from creeping into my voice.

His lips curled into that infamous grin of his. "It's fate; all of Wonderland knows this except for the Queen. I'm sure she has an inkling now, though. It was only a matter of time before someone challenged her for the throne."

I bit my lip again. "How are you so sure that I'm what you've been waiting for? What's so special about me, Cheshire?"

He was quiet as he gazed at the stars, seeming to be thinking of how to respond. Finally, his eyes left the night sky and bore into my own. He leaned forward, suddenly face to face with me and my heart jumped into my throat. I inhaled sharply, my eyes growing wide as I leaned back slightly in surprise.

He smiled, revealing all those pointed feline teeth of his and the full effect it had was startling. The tingle started in my chest and burst outward, flowing through my limbs all the way to the tips of my fingers and toes. I grew instantly warm and could feel most of the heat in my face.

"My dear Alice," he purred, those golden eyes glowing mysteriously. "You were born to be Queen. Wonderland is in your blood now since you have lived here all these years. You were born in another time and place, and yet somehow you opened the doorway to Wonderland."

I stared into the depths of his eyes, not knowing what to feel or think. If I had been destined all along to come to Wonderland, was I truly meant to dethrone Red? So many questions swam around in my head, stirring a pain behind my eyes. I winced at the effect; I needed to just stop thinking so much. Cheshire must have noticed because he backed away, giving me space. I took a breath to clear my head and felt the pain ebb away.

A rustling sounded from behind us in the brush and Cheshire turned, his ears tweaking toward the sound. His eyes turned to golden slits as he scanned the darkness, instantly moving to my side and half shielding me from whatever it was that was coming. The sound grew louder and I felt my heart leap into my throat. What if the Queen had sent her Card Guards to find me?

The noise grew louder and the leaves began to visibly move before us as I latched onto Cheshire's arm. Just as my heartbeat began to grow so loud to fill my ears, I heard whispers from the flowers that surrounded us.

The Caterpillar...he is changing. Find Caterpillar...

I gazed down at the flowers around my feet and frowned. They were telling me to find Caterpillar; one of the first denizens of Wonderland I had met when I came to Wonderland. He had helped me in his own strange way to seek out White, whom I had originally followed down the rabbit hole.

I was slightly confused however. I knelt down beside the flowers, reaching out to stroke the petals gently as Cheshire focused his attention on the woods where the sound continued.

"What do you mean he's changing?" I asked the flowers, watching them sway in the gentle breeze that suddenly appeared, sweeping across the open meadow.

He's changing, Alice, they whispered on the breeze. Help Caterpillar and he will tell you all there is know about the Red Queen. Hurry, Alice. Find Caterpillar!

Instantly the breeze disappeared, leaving the meadow eerily silent as it had been before. The rustling in the brush continued however and a muffled curse drifted from the noise. Cheshire let out a heavy sigh, rolling his eyes as his body relaxed.

"Hatter!" he snarled, reaching into the bushes. He jerked back and in his grasp was the Hatter who had seemingly gotten into trouble with the creeping vines that liked to pull people's legs for giggles.

His hat was lopsided as he stumbled forward and peered up at us. His eyes sparkled with excitement as he straightened. He seemed out of breath as he gulped air into his lungs. Cheshire glowered at him, his arms crossed as we waited for him to speak.

"I have heard some terribly exciting news," he said with a wide grin.

I gasped. He must have heard about Caterpillar! He noticed my expression and quickly cast a glance down at the flowers. His eyes twinkled with delight as he silently beckoned us to follow.

We moved through the forest as it began to come to life with excitement at the new development. The trees sang of Caterpillar, congratulating him on his evolution. I frowned as I listened to the creatures and woodlands whisper along the breeze before looking to my companions.

"Evolution?" I asked curiously as I caught up with the energetic Hatter. "What do they mean?"

I felt something blazing hot yet silky soft graze my open flesh and I shivered under the contact. Glancing over, I saw Cheshire walking alongside me, his golden eyes ahead with a strange light. He seemed just as happy as everyone else all of a sudden. I was the only one left in confusion.

"You will see, love," Hatter promised with a wink before raising his arms out push aside the long vines of the biggest tree in Wonderland; the Caterpillars home.

White was already present amongst other creatures of Wonderland and I struggled to see what they surrounded. Silence overcame the secluded meadow as a heart of purplish blue smoke rose into the air. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hatter make his way to the front and smile down at the spectacle before him, before dipping his hat in a show of respect.

Overwhelmed with curiosity, I began pushing my way to the front. Soon, the creatures parted like the red sea when they saw me stepping forward to reveal something I had never thought I would see. My lips parted in surprise and a startled gasp escaped my lips for there, sitting atop his favorite mushroom head was fully evolved humanoid version of Caterpillar sporting wings of a butterfly.

Smoke surrounded me in the shape of a heart as I neared and stared at him with open surprise. Piercing blue eyes the color of the Ocean of Tears locked with mine and a slow grin much like Cheshire's spread across his face.

"Hello, dear Alice."