Wonderland

Wings of a Butterfly

I gaped at the sight before my eyes, staring and the stranger before me who had once been the Caterpillar who had guided me through Wonderland all those years ago. I stepped closer, entranced by his hands image. The only traces of his old self was in those eyes that gazed back at me with affection and mystery. He was a handsome young man with dark, translucent wings of black silk that shimmered in the moonlight.

Hair dark as the night sky hung around his face, contouring to the shape of his striking features. Black glittering tribal marks were tattooed on either side of his eyes, showing the true markings of a creature born of Wonderland itself. White wrung his hands nervously off to the side, his ears facing the depths of the woods as his eyes scanned the shadows.

I knew he could sense something, but curiosity got the better of me as I looked back to Caterpillar.

"What is your name now?" I asked, inching closer as he watched me with those striking eyes full of wisdom. He lifted the pipe of his hooka to his lips and inhaled deeply. When he blew out the smoke, it surrounded me and formed to shape a crown a top of my head.

When he said nothing, I pressed further as my eyes wandered over his new form. "I very well cannot call you Caterpillar anymore."

He smiled and the effect made my heart thump hard inside my chest. He had developed a lady killer's smile. His wings stretched out toward me in silence, curving around my form as he ushered me closer. I was pulled until my torso touched the mushroom head in which he sat upon. He had enclosed us in our own private circle, away from the others. He leaned forward until his face was only inches away from my own. Lifting a hand, he stroked my face gently like a caress, his eyes soft.

"Alice," he breathed, inhaling my scent. He was adjusting to the new senses he had acquired during his metamorphosis. "I owe you my life, little Alice."

I pulled back slightly so I could look at him, my mentor and guide. "What do you mean?"

He tilted his head slightly before inhaling more smoke and blowing out the letters of what it was he wanted to say. I watched as the letters moved together to form words.

Blood of a Queen.

"Blood of a Queen?" I asked, looking to him for answers. Before he could respond however, he changed the subject.

"I am yet to be given a new name, my Queen," he said softly as he removed his gentle touch and gave me some space. His fingertips lingered in the locks of my hair before sliding away. He inhaled more smoke and gazed down at me with that air of mysteriousness that clouds him. "You may give me one if you so choose."

I gazed at him from head to toe, taking in all the changes he made. I hesitantly reached out to touch his wings, looking to him for confirmation. He simply smiled and pressed them against me, surrounding me in silk and glitter. I traced my fingers along the butterfly like veins that traveled through the translucence. I smiled to myself as I ran my hands along the silky flesh and felt them shiver slightly under my caress. Glancing at the man who had been a caterpillar, his eyes were dark and smoky with desire as he watched me.

Suddenly the wings were forced apart and Cheshire stepped in with a rare spark glowing in his golden eyes.

"That's enough hiding," he purred, his tone hinting toward annoyance and...jealousy?

I was sure that I was hearing things as I looked to Cheshire with a frown. It was there plain as day in his expression; he was irritated about something. Caterpillar on the other hand simply smiled and retracted his wings to rest gently behind him.

"Now, now Chessie," he mused in a mocking voice. "I was only talking to poor Alice. I do have her to thank for this after all."

Cheshire glowered at him. "Please refrain from calling me that."

Caterpillar ignored him and turned his attention back to me. "So love, have you thought of a name for a humble creature like me?"

I paused to think as White and Hatter joined us, listening in as I gazed up at the sky. One name stood out amongst the rest and it felt right. I lowered my gaze to meet his, finding him eagerly waiting in silence as were the others.

"From hence forth, you shall be known as Zephyr the Wise," I said in a regal tone, lifting my chin as a strange warmth grew inside my chest and spread outwards, flowing through my veins to my fingertips.

Surprised, I lifted my hands and stared at them when I could see a tinge of red glowing lighting up my veins. All at once the creatures around me, including my friends bowed down on one knee. I looked around at all the bowed heads; they were pledging their loyalty to me as their rightful Queen.

"Your magic has finally awakened," Hatter breathed, lifting his head to gaze at me with such strong affection it made my pulse trip. Slowly, they all lifted their heads to gaze at me with such hope and reverence that it left me speechless. Unease settled into my nerves; am I even ready to be Queen? I still have to face off with Red and remove her from the throne.

I looked down at Cheshire and knelt down to touch his shoulder. "Please...everyone, get up. Please get up now," I said in a shaky voice as I gazed around at the people of Wonderland.

My friends frowned as they did as I asked, but Cheshire looked at me with understanding. He was keen with my emotions and would know all too well exactly how I was feeling. Unsettled, I turned away to sit on the now empty mushroom head to steady myself.

"What's wrong, Alice?" White asked softly as he came up beside me, his eyes filled with concern.

My head felt like it was spinning and the strange warmth that had blossomed inside of my chest was burning hotter by the second. I gasped when the light glowing inside of my veins began to pour outwards, illuminating the night.

"Zephyr..." I cried in fear, staring down at my now burning hands glowing with light. "What's happening to me?"

He knelt before me, easily taking my hands within his own. His entire body shivered as his eyes closed, as if he was absorbing whatever it was that was leaking from my body. He opened his eyes with a warm smile and gave my hands a gentle squeeze. The heat was becoming unbearable now and I flinched. Beads of sweat had formed on my brow and I struggled not to cry out. I felt like I was on fire!

"Hush now, dear Alice," he murmured, still holding tightly onto my hands. "It's simply the magic flowing through your blood. It will soon pass, just hold on."

My knees buckled and I wanted nothing more then to curl up in the fetal position and die. My breaths came out in harsh pants, sweat matting my hair as the burning scorched like a raging wildfire inside my body.

"Zephyr," Hatter said with warning, watching us with a strangely serious expression, especially for him. He was always the cooky, crazily happy type of Wonderland. To see him so serious was unnerving and I began to panic.

"Is this normal?" I wheezed as White appeared with something cool and wet, smoothing it across my forehead and I whimpered with relief. I closed my eyes to relish the tiny moment of the cold against my flesh before it dried from the heat radiating from my body.

I saw a muscle twitch in Zephyr's jaw, though his expression never changed. "Yes, love. Just a little longer."

That muscle tweak was all I needed to see before my heart began to race, increasing the fiery lava coursing through my veins.

"You're lying!" I cried as the fire leaped into my throat and I choked on it. Any moment I expected to breathe fire like a dragon. I let out a shriek at the excruciating pain.

"Enough!" Cheshire growled, his pupils wide and fangs bared. He looked downright feral as he forced Zephyr away from me, releasing his hold. I coughed as I tried to breath, gaping when smoke actually drifted my lips.

"What's going on?" I screeched, staring down at my body that was now glowing as brightly as a crimson beacon.

"Her magic has awakened! Our Queen is finally here!"

"Long live Queen Alice!"

"She was save us from that hateful Red Queen!"

Just as Zephyr and Cheshire squared off, ready to get into a heated argument, I lifted my hand to silence them both. The pain was receding slowly and I felt as though I was getting stronger. After a few minutes, I felt unbeatable. However, an itching had developed between my shoulder blades. I reached behind me to scratch, but nothing I did eased the tickling sensation. I resorted to rubbing my back harshly against a tree, but still no relieve and I cried out in frustration.

"What is this?" I demanded, scratching some more as Zephyr stepped closer and seemed to peer at my back. His eyes lit up at whatever it was that he saw.

"Honey, your about to grow a pair of wings. 'Tis further proof that you are a significant part of Wonderland now, love," he said as he stepped back just as I felt a pop and gave a startled gasp. I heard the tearing of my dress and felt a strange sensation of extra appendages on my back.

"Oh, Alice," Hatter breathed in awe, stepping closer with wide eyes. He reached up and removed his top hat, entranced by the things attached to my back.

"Wings you say?" I asked curiously as I turned, trying to see them until Cheshire stopped me.

"You won't see them that way," he murmured, oddly calm as he gazed at my wings. He reached out to touch one and I felt the shiver all the way to my bones. He chuckled as he gentle grasped one and pulled slightly within my eyesight and I gasped.

Glittery translucent wings had sprouted from my flesh when my magic had awakened. The colors and luminance reminded me of a diamond in the sunlight.

"Alice, look over here!" a voice cried and I turned to see one of the creatures, a large bird whose chest was a looking-glass. There I saw my appearance and I was stunned. The wings were tapered and elegant like that of a swallow tail butterfly. The fiery glow in my veins had left it's mark like a crown across my forehead like a tiara, the shape of a teardrop in the center. Similar tribal tattoos snaked around my arms and chest in coils and wisps. I felt powerful; I felt like a Queen. Even my eyes had a strange luminance to them, now the shade of the markings; glowing embers.

"Oh my," I murmured, gently touching around my eyes and the tattoo on my forehead. I felt a strange pulsing sensation from the teardrop in the center and upon closer examination, I could see the flames dancing within.

"That is the core of your magic. It is a type of magic that only queen's possess," Zephyr explained with that mysterious smile. "It is time to prepare."