Wonderland

Rogue

Each day I practiced magic with Hatter and had flying lessons with Zephyr. I was improving at a fast rate, excelling in both categories. I learned to control Wonderland itself; I could change the very foundation of the world itself with the wave of my hand and my vivid imagination. I could bring things to life, from the foliage to pieces of paper. I could help things grow and even heal.

Zephyr taught me how to battle within the air. I had practiced hard to summon my magic and focus on flying as well; it had taken many weeks until I finally got the hang of it. Since White was not always free, Cheshire was in charge of Royal Training. He taught me the laws of Wonderland, and the way of royalty. I learned proper etiquette that would be expected of me as a Queen, and learned about the inhabitants.

We had been in the middle of a history quiz, when White appeared looking as white as his name. His breathing was harsh and there was blood on his clothes. Seeing this, I jumped to my feet and rushed to him.

"White!" I breathed in horror, rushing to his side.

"What happened?" Cheshire demanded as he followed suit. Hatter and Zephyr appeared on sight as well, sounding out of breath.

"The Red Queen..." White wheezed, his pupils dilated to the size of saucers. "She's released him."

Dead silence followed and I watched as each one of them turned pale in horror. Cheshire snarled, his eyes pure gold, his ears slicked straight back.

"No!" he snarled, his tail whipping about him with rage.

"Calm down, Cheshire," Hatter said firmly, a faraway look in his eyes. He was formulating a plan, I knew. I had seen that look many times.

The man beside me growled low in his throat and I stared around at them. Seeing all of them so frightened of this man White had spoken of, caused my heart to race.

"What has happened? Who is this person you speak of?" I asked, catching each of their eyes until Zephyr spoke with a dark expression.

"White would be referring to Ace," he bit out as he began to pace back and forth. "the Rogue of Wonderland."

"Rogue?" I questioned and White swallowed, his body trembling.

"He is dangerous, Alice," he said quietly, his eyes watering over. "So very dangerous."

An icy chill traveled down my spine and caused my wings to tremble. Just who was this person that they were all so afraid of? Seeing them all in such a panic, especially Cheshire was enough to set me on edge.

"Is he coming to kill me or take me prisoner?" I asked suddenly, as an idea began to form. If he was only aiming to capture me alive and bring me back, I would have instant access into the palace.

Hatter seemed to catch on quickly, his eyes lighting up as his spine straightened. He began muttering to himself, pacing back and forth as he usually did whenever he had a good idea. All eyes followed his movements and all the dread that I had felt began to dim and transform into excitement. I welcomed the madness of Wonderland to seep into my veins, strengthening my courage and bravery that I so obviously lacked.

"You cannot," Cheshire said firmly, his eyes glowing dangerously. A muscle in his jaw ticked as his eyes glared into my own.

"Cheshire," I murmured, stepping closer to him, " I understand how you feel. I know that this idea is very dangerous, but it's the quickest way."

He shook his head, his black pupils as wide as saucers leaving only a thin ring of the beautiful gold. His tail moved back and forth with clear agitation, flicking around his legs.

"I won't allow this," he said clearly, leaving no room for argument and I stiffened. The moment that I felt the magic awaken in my veins, I felt like royalty and became irritated.

"You have no say, Cheshire," I said firmly, my voice ringing with authority and demanding him to obey.

His lips curled back with displeasure, revealing the sharp feline teeth that hid there. His ears flicked backward and pressed down flat against his silvery hair.

"I have no say?" he roared, advancing on me as if I were a mouse he was ready to devour.

I stood my ground and faced him eye to eye. His chest was moving rapidly with the force of his rage, his eyes burning with a passionate fire that would take more then just time to extinguish. I realized this as I gazed into those eyes and forced myself to think rationally. He was worried for my safety; he wanted me to safe and out of harms way.

I took a deep breath to quell the raging magic flowing in my blood like molten fire and touched his arm. His muscles were stiff and unyielding as he glared down at me, though some of that fire had left his eyes. The pupils began to shrink back to normal size, though his ears remained back and tail whipped around my legs with annoyance.

"I apologize, Chessie." I spoke softly, calling him by his special nickname only to watch the rest of that lingering anger fade away to heart-wrenching concern.

"I am not trying to control you," I murmured and then frowned when I realized that I had attempted to do just that. "I did not mean to...I can't explain it. I was just there," I said helplessly with a shrug as I gazed up at him imploringly.

His gaze filled with understanding and he offered a half grin. "It's the life-magic. That very magic comes from a long line of royals, like the Red Queen. It's only natural that you demand obedience."

I breathed a sigh of relief at the sight of that small grin, seeing that teasing light return to his eyes. I returned the smile and touched his face gently.

"Thank you for worrying about me," I whispered, tracing my fingertips along his jaw before pulling away. His eyes closed when I stepped away and lowered his head, gazing down the ground with a faraway expression.

I turned to Hatter and the others with determination. "Does she want me alive?" I asked again, my voice strong.

White looked fearful as his eyes darted around until they focused on me. He gave one sharp nod and I looked to Hatter.

"I'm going to let him take me. I will have instant access into the palace," I said, gazing at each one of them. "Is she aware that I have awakened? Can she sense others like her?"

Zephyr nodded and I was about to fall into despair until that familiar grin appeared.

"'Tis the truth, but there is also a way no go in undetected," he said slyly with a coy smile and Hatter chuckled.

"Of course there is! Dear Alice, you have only just awakened to your magic; therefore, the strength of it is not strong enough to alert Red.

"Then this should work," I said with a nod, trying to psyche myself up for the task. "What is this person's name and is it a he or a she?"

White had finally calmed down enough to speak. He told the story of little boy who had joined Red's side at the tender age of 5. She had destroyed his homeland and murdered his entire family. He was the only survivor. She had taken an instant liking to him when the card guards had brought him back as a prisoner. From then on, he remained as her servant until she placed him in special training. There, he was trained in the art of weaponry and assassination. He was the man who did all of the dirty work for the Red Queen when she had no inkling to leave her castle behind. He destroyed everything in his path, and leveled towns and villages at the Queen's whim. Now, that dangerous man was coming after me.

I knew that this was going to be the most difficult task that I will ever do. I could only hope that this man decides to keep me alive.