Wonderland

Ace of Spades

Hatter decided to host one of his illustrious tea parties. He felt it would be a great ice breaker to calm everyone's spirits and get ready for the battle ahead. There was still much planning to be done, but I agree with him. Everyone was too high strung and on edge that a bit of goofing off was exactly what the inhabitants of Wonderland needed.

Magic curled around the Hatter's fancy table, teapots lifting and pouring tea and cakes appeared on plates. Everybody gathered around and had a seat while he had reserved a special seat at the head of the table for me.

"Well this is just lovely, isn't it?" he asked cheerfully, sitting from his polished teacup. This was his element; he always looked the most comfortable in a party type setting.

"'Tis very delicious," Zephyr said as he puffed away on his hooka. The sweet smelling tobacco drifted toward me, curling around me in a haze the shape of a heart. "Wouldn't you agree, lovely Alice?"

I sipped the hot, spicy tea feeling the warmth spread throughout my body, relaxing my muscles and nerves. I breathed deeply and allowed relaxation to set in and my mind to clear. I smiled around the table.

"This was a great idea, Hatter," I assured, watching my companion puff out his chest with pride. "We were in dire need of normal day activities. It is very nice to just relax and enjoy the day."

Cheshire, who sat beside me, watched me through those golden eyes of his. He seemed unusually quiet as he sipped his tea. I knew that he was still thinking about the man who had been sent to find me. An unsettling feeling developed in my chest, but I thrust it away; I was determined to enjoy what may be last normal day with my friends.

Reaching over, I gently placed my hands on top of his and immediately his ears perked up in my direct, his eyes focused on me. I saw a muscle clench his jaw, but he said nothing as his hand slowly relaxed beneath my own. I felt the muscles relax and soon that dangerous aura about him withered away and he sat back in the chair, eyes closed and arms crossed. Even White seemed calm and at ease. He chatted away happily with Zephyr without a care in the world and for that I was glad.

Cheshire's eyes suddenly snapped open and he straightened in his chair, alert. His eyes locked onto the forestry off to the side and all conversation came to a halt. Hatter had instantly snatched up a knife from the table and White turned pale. Zephyr simply continued to smoke his hooka, his steely eyes gazing at our surroundings as if expecting someone to be there.

What caught my attention was that he did not seem alarmed in the least. In fact, there in his eyes was that mischievous sparkle I've come to recognize.

"I have a feeling that who or whatever is coming this way is not dangerous," I said wryly, watching my butterfly companion carefully and he shot me a grin.

"They can be if they so choose," he admitted in a coy voice. Wisps of his flavored smoke curled around me in a colorful haze. "However, these members of Wonderland have been in hiding since you first fell down the Rabbit hole."

Curiosity began to eat away at me as I rose from my chair to gaze expectantly into the foliage. There was not a creature or person in Wonderland who I have not yet met, so I felt that rare zing of excitement at the prospect of meeting someone new.

"Who is it?" I asked Zephyr, not looking away and I heard a chuckle followed with a sigh that most definitely came from Cheshire.

"A rambunctious pair," Hatter said suddenly with mystery and I frowned in response.

"Pair?" I questioned, finally looking away and Cheshire looked at me as he lowered back into his chair comfortably.

"Twins," he said simply just as two heads of blond hair dropped down from the trees around me.

I gave a startled gasp and backed away, only to trip and fall on my behind. I stared up from the ground on which I now sat upon to see two identical young men standing side by side. Everything about them matched from their strands of blond hair to the style and color of the clothing they wore. Spring green eyes stared back at her and it was only then that she saw the difference.

Where one's eyes held a coyness that could rival Zephyr, the others were filled with kindness and compassion. Both swirled with color, but one pair seemed more guarded while the other pair were endless like the sea.

"Come now, boys," Hatter said with slight irritation, though he smiled. "You've just knocked down your future Queen."

They both exchanged a glance before holding out their hands. I accepted them without hesitation and allowed myself to be pulled back onto my feet. I brushed the dirt from the back of my dress and turned to face them. They both eyed me carefully, the guarded one with hesitant curiosity and the other with intelligent interest. He stepped forward with a generous smile that made my heart skip a beat.

"Hello, Alice," he said, his voice smooth like honey as he extended his hand once more. "My name is Theo and this is my twin brother, Leo. It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess."

I was thoroughly enchanted by his mannerisms and found myself returning his smile as he brought my hand to his lips and gently placed a kiss upon the skin. I turned my attention to the brother as Theo stepped back to give him space, and he just stared. I could tell that he was hesitant, the guardian of the two who would do anything to protect his brother.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Leo." I gauged his reaction as I spoke quietly, wondering if he would respond.

A muscle in his jaw ticked, but his features softened soon after. Without saying a word, he lowered his head and himself down onto one knee in a bow. It was a form of acceptance; he had acknowledged me as the future Queen of Wonderland.

Hatter broke the ice when he swooped in with a big smile. He draped his arms around the two men and steered them toward the table.

"Good timing, boys!" he exclaimed happily, forcing them down into empty seats, "We were just having a tea party in celebration of our future queen."

He waved his hand over the table, casting magic as the teapots reappeared to serve them fresh tea that smelled like spices and honey. He was rather fond of sweet things after all.

"Where have you been hiding all this time?" Cheshire asked with a raised eyebrow as the twins dug right in to the cakes and sweets laid out before them.

Leo glanced at Cheshire with a sharp expression. "Does it matter where we were? We've come to see you as promised, didn't we?"

His tone was a little rough around the edges, but I understood completely his motives. He didn't want anyone to know of the hiding spot he had secured for them. I caught Theo's eye and he simply smiled and gave a light shrug. It was apparent that he was used to his brother's over protectiveness.

"Why were you in hiding for so long? I have been in Wonderland since I was a child and I have never met you, or even heard of you before," I asked honestly with open curiosity.

Leo looked at me with that guarded expression and I tried to calm him with a warm smile. It seemed to work for his expression slowly changed to that of concern, his eyes filled with worry. Theo watched his brother for a moment before speaking.

"We have been in hiding ever since news came out that you had entered Wonderland. Rumors were going around that the Queen had adopted an 'outsider' and that things were going to get bad."

I frowned. "I'm the cause?" I murmured, gazing down at my tea with quiet sorrow.

Leo gave a wry snort. "It's because you came to Wonderland, someone so very different then the Queen. We all knew that she would grow jealous of you, an 'outsider' who has seen and experienced far more then she ever will," he said seriously, looking away with a slight blush. "It didn't help that you are much prettier then her. Of course she would go on a rampage."

Hatter snickered beside me at his words, but I ignored him. They had gone into hiding because the Red's reactions were only to be expected. By coming to Wonderland, I destroyed it. The thought made me sick to my stomach and I felt the blood drain from my face.

"Alice?" Cheshire inquired softly, his tone laced with worry as he appeared in my vision.

I felt like I was going to cry. Overwhelming sadness washed over me as I thought of the lives that had been lost all because I fell down the rabbit hole all those years ago. I was the cause of the deterioration of their home.

"I..." I couldn't speak. My throat felt constricted with sorrow and if I spoke, I would weep. I remembered all too well what happened when I cried in Wonderland. The Ocean of Tears is proof of that.

All eyes stared back at me, some with understanding and others with confusion. The twins were confused but that was to be expected. They didn't know me; however, my companions could sense the inner struggle and looked away from my sad visage.

The next thing that happened, I experienced much too fast. Like the speed of light, a thing that I could not see breezed in front of my face. Splinters of wood filled the air as the table fell to pieces. I could sit there, eyes wide in shock.

I could hear the snarls of Cheshire and the startled cries of the twins. I could hear and feel the beating wings from Zephyr, but I couldn't seem to move. I was suddenly lifted into the air by an unseen force and I was jolted back to reality with a gasp.

My surroundings suddenly disappeared though we hadn't even moved. I felt no breeze and saw nothing of the scenery. We simply stood in a black void and my heart began to race.

"Don't move." The voice was as cold as an arctic breeze and sent shivers of dread down my spine, freezing my body in place with fright.

The scenery suddenly came back into view, but I had no recollection of where we were. I began to panic as he tossed me to the ground and pointed the tip of a spear just below my chin. He pressed it under the skin, urging me to look at him.

His eyes were so cold and empty. The color of pure steel and void of emotion as they stared back at me. He was dressed in the royal colors of red and black with the crest of a black spade sewed over his heart.

I gathered my courage to speak, watching him carefully.

"You must be Ace," I said, my voice stronger then how I felt, "the one sent to get rid of me."

He said nothing, nor did his expression change. In an instant I felt the sharp lick of pain against the side of my throat; he had cut me as a warning. I felt the warmth of my own blood slide down over my shoulder as I glared up at him.

He was more dangerous then anyone could have imagined. White's reaction to him was an understatement. This man would kill me without hesitation or regard for the wishes of Red. Gritting my teeth, I willed myself to move and slowly held out my wrists to him, a sign of surrender and compliance.

If I was going to get inside of the castle, I needed to be compliant. I just hoped that he didn't kill me first.