Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 11

“I’ll be back in a bit, Spence. Just have to run into the store and pick up the ingredients for a casserole I signed up to take to Sunday school tomorrow.” Ronnie’s pulling on her purse as she grabs her keys and informs me of her plans before opening the front door.

I let out a groan as I respond, “It’s eight in the morning, Ron. We should not be up this early; it’s our day off.” But my words are too late as she’s already shut the door.

As I wipe the sleep out from my eyes moments later, I hear a knock coming from the front door. I check my appearance before leaving my bedroom, letting a yawn escape my lips as I make my way to the door.

To my surprise no one is standing outside. I step out and look around, but have no luck in finding the body responsible for disturbing my Saturday morning. I turn to head back inside when my eyes catch sight of a note stuck on the outside of my door.

“I’m watching you. Better do as I said, or things will get worse,” the note read.

Fear paralyzes my body as I realize who wrote this note. He’s here. He’s getting bolder. Last I heard from him was a few days ago when he texted me about telling my father to drop the suit again. I didn’t respond, knowing that if I did it would only make things worse.

I quickly run inside, locking the door behind me, and jump on my bed after grabbing my phone from the night stand. I don’t know what to do. He could still be out there. I dial Kent’s number without thinking.

A very groggy voice comes over the speaker shortly after the ringing stops. “Spencer, you know you’re supposed to sleep in on your days off, right?”

I hate myself for waking him up, but who else do I call? My father? I haven’t even told him yet. It was too late last night after talking with Kent for me to call him, so I figured it could wait.

“I know it’s early, Kent, I’m sorry.” I pause for a moment, not exactly sure what to tell him. When the words come to me I start talking faster than I should. “It’s just that there was a knock on the door this morning, but no one was out there. But there was this note that said something about watching me. I don’t know. I think it’s from Kale.” I pause for a moment as I think this through. “He came to my home.”

I can hear noise in the phone now, like he’s moving things around. “I’ll be there in a minute. Make sure the door is locked,” he says just before he hangs up. His voice has that serious tone again.

Minutes later there’s another knock on the door. I look up wearily, not sure if I should answer it, but Kent’s calming voice soon comes through the door and puts my mind at ease.

When I let him in he’s on the phone with someone. “Yes, Sir,” he says in the phone, “It’s only the note. Nothing else seems to be out of place outside. There’s no signature. Yes…okay… yeah, she seems fine at the moment.” He embraces me in a hug with his free arm as we close and lock the door behind us. “Ok, no it doesn’t look like she touched it. I’ll leave it there for you to see yourself.”

I realize now that he must be talking to my father. Perfect. He hangs up the phone and wraps his other arm around me. “Your father’s on his way. Are you okay, Spencer?”

“Yeah, just kind of freaked out,” I say into his chest. We sit down on the couch and I curl up into his side as I process the situation.

“Tell me the truth, Spencer. Is this the first time he’s made contact with you that wasn’t by phone?” He lifts my chin for my eyes to meet his gaze as he says this. His blues are serious and his lips are pursed together.

“Yes,” I close my eyes as I reply; fighting back the pitiful tears I’m hoping don’t fall.

“Don’t be scared, baby. I’m here.”