Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 14

The silence of his small apartment and the muted TV gives me room to think back on the last four months I’ve known Kent. Even with all the time we spent together, I never had a clue that he had feelings for me. I just took him as my best friend and that’s all we were ever going to be. I was oddly okay with that. Having him in my life was all I needed. I knew that I could count on him to be there for me, should I ever need it, and I knew we had a lot of fun together.

That is all I really did need in life, right? I don’t need a man. I haven’t really had the best track record when it comes to guys anyways.

Kent got a kick out of my last relationship – my stalker ex. Yes, he was worried about him at first, but that didn’t stop him from laughing at how paranoid I still am whenever I see a truck that resembles his.

If I think about it, the last month has kind of been like we were in a relationship – always seeing each other, going everywhere and doing everything together – I could get used to that.

Maybe I already have.

About thirty minutes after Kent leaves, my phone rings, interrupting the movie I put in. “Hey, Dad. Are you at the court house too?”

“Hey, baby doll, yeah I figured I should be here to keep everyone in check I guess,” he sounds into the phone.

“And who do you suppose is going to keep you in check, mister?”

“Um, your mother?” We both let out a laugh as we realize just how true that is.

He called to fill me in on what’s going on down town. Since I was a little girl I always loved to be “in the know” when it came to Chief and his job. I loved hearing all of his crazy stories of drunken people or people who tried to run from him. My dad is a true hero, that man.

“So, I just wanted to see how you were holding up? Kent called on his way in and said Chief Richards needed him.”

“Yeah, he fought me pretty hard, but I told him I’d be fine. I’m at his place now.” I hear a smirk from the other end of the phone as I continue. “I figured if Kale did come after me, he wouldn’t think to look here. So…”

“Right, yeah, sure. That’s why you’re over there.” Giving me a hard time is one of his favorite things to do.

“It’s true and I love you, Dad.”

“Love you too, baby doll. Don’t let any monsters in before Kent gets back.”

***

I wake to the feeling of stuffiness; the fan has been cut off and all of the lights are out. Kent must have turned them off when he got home.

I reach for my phone that’s lying beside me on the couch. 11:23 PM. Looks like I’ve been asleep for about two hours. I rise from the couch to go confirm my thought of Kent being home, and honestly to join him in his bed. I’m sure it’s much more comfortable than the couch. Thank goodness we’ve been staying at my place.

To my surprise, Kent is nowhere to be found. I continue to search the apartment when I realize that not just the lights are out, but the power seems to be out as well. It’s not storming outside so I have no idea why the power would be out. I decide to text Kent and let him know this and that I’m going to head back to my place. I can’t stand to be stuffy; I need my ceiling fan. I don’t expect to receive a response as I’m sure he’s too busy focusing on the bomb threat at the moment.

As I make my way through the complex and towards my apartment I notice how windy it is for it to be so late out. My long locks are viciously wrapping themselves around my neck as I walk with my phone illuminating my path.

I make it to my front door and let out the breath I didn’t realize I was holding in. I pull out my keys to unlock the door and I notice a piece of wood is missing from the inside of my door, like someone tried to pry it open. As I look closer I can see a much bigger gap in wood just on the inside of the door.

I immediately catch my breath as I realize it must be Kale. Without a second thought I dash back through the complex and head over to Kent’s; calling his number as I run.

“Pick up. Come one.” I mumble to myself as I make my way through the parking lot. No answer so I try him again; still no answer.

I make it back to Kent’s and rush inside, thanking the Lord that I know where his spare key is. I lock the door behind me and decide to try Chief on his cell. Just as I hear the other end connecting, a large arm grabs me from behind, knocking the phone from my grasp.

“Shh, don’t fight me. It’ll just make it worse,” the all familiar voice coos. He has one arm around my neck and the other steadying my core. While still trying to control my sporadic movement, he directs me towards the couch, throwing me at it once we are closer, causing me to hit my head fairly hard on the arm of the couch. As I try to regain stamina after the blow, he grabs something behind his back, though I can’t see what it is as it’s still dark inside. Seconds pass before a stripping is placed over my mouth to subdue my cries, along with securing my hands behind my back.

He sits beside me on the couch, steadying my flailing limbs whilst rubbing my hairline with his other calloused hand. “Now, now, Spencer, let’s be a good girl and not scream. Okay?” I hardly look at him as he speaks at me. His voice grows harder as he continues, staring intently at my wet eyes. “I warned you, girl, to back off. Did you not get my point when I came to your home?”

Again I stay steady, trying not to look too deeply into his eyes. With it being so dark I can hardly make out any features on his face, though I can tell he’s not very old, mid-thirties maybe.

Other than the pounding in my head, the room fills with uncomfortable silence as he contemplates his next move; slowly playing with the hem of my jeans. Something turns cold in his eyes as they travel over my slumped body, making their way over my chest and to my face.

He picks me up and throws me over his shoulder like a duffel bag full of possessions. Taking me into Kent’s bedroom, he throws me onto the bed. After attaching me to the bed frame he stands at the end, eying me up and down like I’m a prized item.

He enters the bed, startling my waist while playing with the bottoms on my shirt. He leans his face into mine, the stubble on his check lightly scratching my face as he whispers. “Maybe this will teach you a lesson.”

I’ve never been as terrified in my entire life as I am in this very moment. As the pain I feel in my temple continues to increase, occasionally causing me to get dizzy, I can no longer contain the tears that have gathered themselves in my eyes, and let them fall as I tell my mind to wonder. Wander far from here. Think of all the good things in life.

He discards my pink button up shirt, allowing his hands to roam free before making their way to the tops of my jeans.

I decide to close my eyes instead of focusing on items in Kent’s room. Seeing his things just makes what’s unfolding that much harder to bear.

My sobs grow harder with each layer of clothing I loose. Now, down to my undergarments only, he pulls a knife from a side holster and brings it to my neck. “Best not move, honey. This here knife is pretty damn sharp.”

Just as he starts to remove his own clothing the bedroom door bursts open, putting a hole in the wall behind it from the force. I open my eyes to see both Chief and Kent with guns drown yelling at Kale to put the knife down.

“I warned you,” Kale yells at my father whilst still holding the knife shakily at my neck. “I gave you so many chances to drop the suit, but you didn’t listen.” He looks back at me for only a moment before he turns back continuing. “Someone had to teach you a lesson, and what better way than to hurt what you love the most?”

I have never seen the look my father is giving Kale right now. So angry, nor have I seen Kent this way, with such pain in his eyes. He never breaks our stare, as if to help calm me down. Focusing on him helps, although my head is now continuously throbbing.

“Why should we drop the suit, when the wreck was your fault, Andrew?” My father intervenes, taking a step towards the bed in order to distract him from my presence, I assume.

“My…my fault?” Kale releases a hard chuckle causing the knife to move and slightly crease my skin.

I let out a small yelp of pain from behind the tape covering my mouth. I notice Kent’s eyes grow wide with fright as more tears fall down my face.

“You were drunk, Andrew, very drunk.” My father takes another step towards him with such power and focus in his eyes. Now that I think about it, I guess I’ve never really seen him in action before. Not like this, anyway.

His eyes shoot over to me and I know that’s my signal to try and get Kale’s attention away from Chief. I start squirming, even as the knife continues to scratch at my skin, knowing that this is the only way to stop him. I try the best I can to hit him with my knees since my ankles are strapped down. I start screaming through the tape, trying to use the noise to confuse him.

After a few moments Kale turns towards me in annoyance, moving the knife slightly and bringing his other hand to grab at my throat out of frustration. Just as he’s reaching for me, Chief lunges towards him knocking them first over me on the bed, but with a struggle causes them to fall to the floor; Kale hitting his head on the nightstand knocking him out cold.

Kent rushes to my side and takes hold of my face with both of his hands. His words are shaky and almost a whisper, “Are you okay? Spencer, are you alright? Baby?” He removes the tape from my mouth and continues to ask me if I’m okay, while placing small, quick kisses on my lips between words.

Sobs are all I’m able to give him at the moment, along with the shaking and shivering motion of my body. He looks down at my worn self as if he’s just now realizing the state I’m in. He quickly grabs a blanket from beside his bed and drapes it over me before kissing my forehead, then my check, and then my lips; just as relieved to see me as I am him. He frees me from the bonds connecting me to the bed and cradles me in his arms; slowly rocking as to calm my fearfulness.

Just when I think all is going to be alright, the pain in my temple worsens and becomes a sharp, shearing pain, causing me to scream out louder than before.

Again, I’m carried away from my Kent and into the darkness.