Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 15

“Babe, don’t get those bags, I’m coming for them,” Kent says as we park in our complex. “Don’t you move a muscle.” He kisses my cheek before exiting the car and making his way over to my side.

It’s nice to be home after being the in hospital for a day or so. Even though it wasn’t very long, it’s still good to be at my own place again.

After Chief and Kent found me and Kale, we were both taken to the hospital; me in bandages and Kale in handcuffs. He’s locked away and Chief says he won’t be out for a very long time.

I still have some small bandages on my neck from the knife he used. Thankfully the cuts weren’t deep enough to do any real damage, and the bump on my head was nothing serious; the Doc just said to keep an eye on me for a few more days. Kent volunteered faster than a cat chasing a mouse.

“You know, it’s only a few scratches,” I retaliate as he helps me exit the car. “It’s not like a broken arm or anything. I can still do things on my own, dude.” We both chuckle as he grabs the few things I had at the hospital with me.

I had asked him to get my laptop and a few clothing options from my apartment so as to not be stuck in that awful cloth the hospital staff calls a gown. Of course, my parents were with me at the hospital, but it was Kent that stayed over each night and made sure to sneak in some goods for me.

We haven’t, however, finished our conversation that was interrupted that night. It’s almost like we’ve talked about everything but that.

After we settle back into my place I make it a point to bring it up soon. We’ve ordered take out and put in a movie, this one, however, is not our normal scary-movie-thon; but a romance instead.

I love watching romance movies. There’s just something about the way it would bring me hope that I might one day find the one to share my life with.

As we watch the couple on screen kiss I can’t help but think back to our first kiss. Well, really our only kiss. Those he planted on my after finding me tied up don’t count. I’m nestled under his arm as we relax on the couch when I finally muster the courage to tell him how I feel.

I slowly lift my body from resting under his, and bring my face just inches from his. Without saying anything I close the small gap between our lips and relax my body to lean into his. The same feeling of magic and happiness rush back, as if it was never lost. He places his left hand to cup my check and wraps the other around my waist, pulling me into him all the more.

Breaking the kiss to catch our breath, I lock eyes with the one I now know is the love I’ve been waiting for.

Trying to steady my voice I swallow hard before speaking softly. “I have more than best friend feelings for you too. I love you, Kent.”