Status: Completed

Shake Me Awake

Chapter 3

Agh, my head is killing me. I can feel my body trying to wake itself up. I can hear voices around me, but at first I can’t make any of them out. Someone grabs my left arm, while another hand goes to my forehead.

“Spencer? Spence, baby, it’s Mama.” Mom’s voice is much clearer now.

“Mom?” My voice is weak again.

“I’m here, sweetie.” My eyes flutter open to a room full of people. Mom, dad, Nel, Ronnie, my best friend and roommate, and what looks to be a doctor. Mom reaches down to the table by the bed and brings back up a cup. I take a few sips of the room temp water, grateful, as it runs down my scratchy throat.

“Welcome back, Miss Blake. Glad to see you’re awake again.” The doctor speaks up and walks to the end of the bed. As he moves I can now see Kent standing in the back, with curious eyes staring at me. “I’m Dr. Kale. You’ve been out for a few hours. You got a nice bump on your head during the collision. You had us worried there for a moment.”

“I do my best.” My voice still scratchy, but becoming clearer the more I speak.

The room fills with light laughter as the doctor continues. ”You have a slight concussion, Miss Blake, and a small cut on your temple there.” He points to the bandage on my head. “You also have a pretty severely broken right wrist. That will require surgery, but not until your head injury is better. And lastly, you have a small gash on your upper right leg, nothing major. It should heal within a few days, but we will continue to watch it to insure you don’t have any muscle damage.” He continues on about the surgery while I half listen and glance around the room. When he finishes he says his goodbyes and leaves the room.

Mom and dad ask how I’m feeling and if I need anything. I assure them that I’m fine as they step out into the hallway, Ronnie following behind after giving me a strong smile. She wants to be in on everything that’s going to go down. That’s just how she is.

Nelson approaches my side; a sad look on his face. He isn’t but eighteen and fresh out of high school. We are pretty close, just over two years apart, so I know this has shaken him up a bit. I grab his hand once he is close enough. “I’m okay, Nel. Doc’s gonna put some pins in me and I’ll be good as new.” I give him a smile, but his face doesn’t change. “Hey, you. Look at me.” My voice is softer. “Nelson, look at me, please.” This time he raises his head from looking down at his feet. “I am fine. I’m alive. That’s what matters, right? God still wants me here, otherwise I wouldn’t be. Don’t go getting all soft on me, Nel.” I give another smile and this time I receive a small one in return.

“I know, Spence. I was just scared.”

“Don’t be,” I smile. “You can thank Kent over there for helping me out.” I shoot Kent a smile as I point in his direction. Nelson looks over at Kent then back at me.

“I’ll be sure to do that.”

“Good, now go spy on mom and dad so that you can fill me in later.” He laughs and heads towards the door, giving Kent a nod on the way out.

This leaves only Kent and me in the room.

“Hi,” I manage. Not sure what exactly to say to him. Not sure why he’s here actually.

“Hi, back.” He mutters. His blue eyes are sinking deep into mine while he fiddles with his hands in front of him. He makes his way to my side before stopping just a few inches away.

“Are you stalking me or something?” I ask jokingly.

He gives off a nervous chuckle. “Oh, yeah, thought you didn’t have enough problems already,” We both give off a laugh as I lightly reach up and punch his arm. He’s silent for a moment. “No, I…I just wanted to be here when you woke up. Make sure you’re doing okay. You know…” He looks away and avoids my eyes for a few moments.

Not sure how to respond to that I manage, “I really appreciate what you did for me, Kent. You don’t understand how comforting it was to have you there. I don’t know how to thank you.” His eyes make their way back to mine as I continue. “And riding with me here...” I trail off not sure on how to finish.

“It was no problem at all, Spencer.” His voice is barely above a whisper. “Wait, I know how you can thank me.” He says, perking up just a bit.

“Oh, and how’s that?”

After a moment his voice gets lower again. “You can get better. That would be a great ‘thank you.’ I would feel a lot better actually.” He keeps my stare. This time his eyes aren’t curious as much as they are pleading.

After what feels like a lifetime, he turns to head out the door. I stop him by grabbing his arm. He turns back to me; eyes meeting yet again. “Thank you, really.” He gives me a nod then turns back and is gone within seconds.

I don’t know why I feel such a strong connection with this guy after having just met him. This is crazy, Spencer.